*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/258293-June-18-2003-pita
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
June 18, 2003: pita

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter


Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor


Dear Readers,

I wanted to do a special issue on poetry, one that highlights both writers and resources availble at Writing.com. Figuring out where to start was easy: I emailed Holly Jahangiri and asked her to contribute an essay on this site's poetry workshops and fora. (Thanks Jessie!)

For the readers that do not like poetry, I included the powerful essay, "Sparky," and another on the issue of faith in the face of dead.

As ever,

Pita

***


Here are five outstanding new and outstanding members to Writing.com

*Star* windac A wonderful poet with a broad palette of imagery to draw from.

*Star* oceansky A poet with a remarkable grasp of both image and language.


*Star* nysus has a mixed port of poetry ranging from dealing with sadness to the complexity of coming out.

*Star* Valori76 Poet and essayist, with an exquiste sense of timing in both genres.

*Star* gypsyqueen A new poet with a surprising range of subject matter.



Editor's Picks

***



Poetry: Finding the Core of Imagination


by Holly Jahangiri


The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed - it is a process of elimination.
--Elbert Hubbard

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
--Michelangelo


          The similarity between sculpture and poetry is striking. Like sculpture, poetry attempts to convey the essence of an idea in its creator’s mind, but it is rarely explicit; each person reads by the light of his own moods, emotions, and experience. A poet’s strength lies in his ability to transform deeply personal, intensely private imaginings, emotions, and realities into a shared experience with a variety of readers, tapping into universal themes to build a bridge that touches the reader and makes him say “Yes, this is how it is!”

          Poetry does not have the luxury of a broad canvas; like sculpture, poetry must be specific, concrete, essential. It is the distillation of a moment into just those words required to communicate it; it is a snapshot with artistic composition, rather than a film. It is a single, clear note – the resonant tone of a wet finger on the rim of a glass, rather than a symphonic orchestration.

Writing.com: Your Virtual Coffee House


         Coffee houses have long been a favorite gathering place for musicians, writers, artists, philosophers, and activists. Writing.com is part virtual coffee house, part writers’ colony, and a haven for poets and poetry lovers with over 62,000 poems posted and more added daily. Whether you want to hone your poetry-writing skills, learn the basics, or simply dip into a bottomless well of free poetry for your reading pleasure, you’ve come to the right place.

         In "Writing Poetry Writing Tips [ASR], Vivian , provides a solid introduction to poetry and an excellent self-study course in the art of writing poetry. In my own article, "Invalid Item , I discuss basic principles for writing poetry that is meant to be read, as opposed to poetry that is meant to be tucked gently between the locked pages of a diary.

         If you are interested in learning and practicing formal verse – limericks, haiku, sonnets, villanelles, and such – drop by "Invalid Item . While the workshop itself is not active at the moment, you will find useful information there, including a discussion that demystifies the whole concept of meter – or as one person put it, “the whole ‘ta TUM ta’ thing.”

         When you are ready to share your poetry, don’t be shy! By adding poetry to your portfolio, you add to a growing collection of free poems to be enjoyed by many readers.

          One of the fundamental features of Writing.com is its review system. You will find numerous review forums that cater to poets, such as "Invalid Item or at least welcome your poetry. There, you can request detailed feedback for your poems. When it comes to feedback, take it all with a grain of salt. Before you revise a poem extensively, it may be a good idea to stuff it into a drawer for a while, along with any comments you received. Pull it out after a few days, weeks, even a month or more, then ask yourself whether it’s better than you remembered, worth revising, or simply serves as a great yardstick by which to measure just how far you've come since writing it.

         Once you’ve polished your poems and feel ready to take the next step, you will find plenty of fun contests, such as "Invalid Item and "Invalid Item where you can enter your work for a chance to win gift points or awardicons. Once you’ve test-marketed your work here and tasted some success, you should be more than ready to set your sights on publication – and once again, you’ll find a supportive community of writers here to cheer you on (or offer creative and artistic suggestions for recycling the rejection slips we all collect along the way). Be sure to check "Invalid Item for a list of excellent resources and a few caution flags to help keep you from falling into the potholes.

         If you are an avid reader of poetry, be sure to take some time to comment on the poems you read on Writing.com. By letting writers know what you liked or did not like about their work, you help them to craft that
“shared experience” of poetry, and you ensure that you will continue to find poems that will give you hours of reading pleasure.

Poetry

Facing heartbreak.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


A powerful poem suggested by Sophy .
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Suggested reading by bianca_b!
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Suggested reading by bianca_b!
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Suggested reading by bianca_b!
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Choices and innocence lost.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


***

Non-fiction


Featured Essays

Cats and kids interwine to reveal and teach us what we are forgetting: not all things are disposable.
 Sparky  [ASR]
An observation on children, animals and survival
by Mata


Death and faith.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

"Since you don't seem to have any questions yet for this newsletter, I thought I might ask a question that I'm sure all newbies at some stage have asked: "Where do I go?" Most of us know that the Support forum is the place for general help, but I have often seen the SM or other members direct posts to other, less well-known forums such as those for reporting bugs, suggestions for the site, and so on. Bearing this in mind, I thought you could perhaps compile a list of 'where-to's for newbies." ~~ pondlife87

Where to turn to depends on what one needs help with. If your email or IMs are creating a problem, or any other site tools, go here "Technical Support Forum [13+]. Because of the nature of this forum, don't post OT or requests for reviews. This forum is strictly for help needed.

If you would like to introduce yourself and connect with people that pay a lot of attention to newbies, please visit "Noticing Newbies [13+].

If you want to get involved in a general topic, or ask a question or get an opinion, visit "Writing.Com General Discussion [13+]

In all cases, read the forum header before posting, then make sure the language of yoour post complies with the forum's rating, (i.e., no swearing in a forum rated G through PG.)

Warmest Regards,

Pita
noticing newbies committee sig

Your editors:
outlawpoet
amawitch
yesnomaybe
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 09-24-03 @ 11:59pm | Modified: 09-24-03 @ 11:59pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/258293-June-18-2003-pita