*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264163-A-Question-of-LotR-Slash
by Circe
Rated: 18+ · Book · Friendship · #589633
This would be my journal...
#264163 added November 1, 2003 at 9:46am
Restrictions: None
A Question of LotR Slash

Date: 2 November
Time: 1.39
Listening to:Lying From You’ Linkin Park
Writing: My NaNo novel (10,203 words)
Mood: Thoughtful




A while back I got a very angry review for this:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#668861 by Not Available.


Arwen/Eowyn slash. One of my favourite pairings ^_^

They were yelling and screaming that I was perverted, and had no respect for Tolkien’s work (Although, they say it was well written, which is rare for a flamer. But I just re-read it and it makes me cringe with the ooc Aragorn.)

So, I sent them back an email saying that if they hadn’t been attacking me, then I might have explained my reasons.

Then, low and behold, today in my inbox is a reply. They said they shouldn’t have flown off the handle but still thought it was a disgrace to Tolkien’s work. So, I sent this back:



Firstly, I’m impressed that you decided to respond to that. So congratulations on not being an extreme bigot.

Now, as for my work being ‘a disgrace to Tolkien's work’ I don’t believe it is. Now, what I wonder is if you would have gotten all upset about this if I’d written something more like Aragorn/Eowyn. And if you still would have been upset about that, and it’s just a question of me changing the canon, then we have no problem here.

But if, on the other hand, your problem is that the two people in question are both women, then we do have a problem. I believe that there is nothing wrong, or disgraceful, about a relationship between two women.

One of the main themes of Lord of the Rings (And even The Silmarillion) is the importance of love. I mean, come on! The stories of Luthien and Beren, and of Aragorn and Arwen are both about how love has the power to overcome all obstacles.

So I don’t see this story as a disgrace, in fact I see it as upholding Tolkien’s themes on love. He tells us that love cannot be held back. Elves and men will fall in love, and that can’t be stopped. Beren and Luthien weren’t just going to decide not to be together because people didn’t approve. They went through hell to stay together.

So it’s the same with two women, or two men for that matter. Go ahead and tell them they’re ‘wrong.’ It won’t do a damn thing.

Love knows no bounds.






** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Eomer spoke first. “Look for your Merry, but do not trust a hope.” His eyes looked toward the non-horizon. “It has forsaken these lands.”

Aragorn thought Eomer was a touch dramatic.

"Invalid Item

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

My Fantasy Novel-
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2003 Circe (UN: circe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Circe has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264163-A-Question-of-LotR-Slash