*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/273102-Im-So-Ashamed
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#273102 added January 16, 2004 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
I'm So Ashamed!
I want to stop myself, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Once you're drawn in, it takes control over you. I know it's not good for me, but I simply can't help it. I've avoided them for so many years, while others succumbed willingly and actually embraced them.

Those damn reality TV shows! Now, I don't watch them all. I don't have to tape one because two are on at one time and I can't miss either of them.

However, I'm slowly adding more to my list, and I'm afraid that someday, I'll refuse to leave the house because I want the screen to glow all day and all night with other people's so-called reality.

The worst part is that I'm really not much of a TV watcher. I don't know what nights most shows even come on. I'll watch movies, but I actually plan to sit down and spend a couple hours being entertained. I don't often just try to fill up the minutes of my life with something so passive.

However, now I find myself actually planning ahead to the times I'll be sitting in front of the TV.

It struck me last night as I was watching the second episode of The Apprentice. I had no intention of watching this show, but I walked into a room where the TV was on channel 2 when the first episode was beginning. Rather than turn the TV off or walk out of the room, I slowly sank down on the couch and started picking my favorites. That's when your life is set for that one-hour block each week. Then, they started changing the day and time when they were going to air the show, and I began to feel little flutters of panic.*Blush*

What if they changed the time to a night I was in school? Or, worse yet, what if they changed it to a time that conflicted with another reality show that I absolutely could not miss? I laughed at myself out loud, but I was still cringing inside.

The one show that I absolutely cannot miss is The Bachelor/Bachelorette. Why???? I won't even take phone calls during that time. Basically, the real people in my life take a back seat to my reality TV friends. How awful is that?!

OK, I realize what you're thinking about me now, but I'm afraid it gets worse. Average Joe. It's a horrible show. After I watched the entire first season, I said no way am I watching that again. It's sad what they do to those dorky guys. I even felt sorry for the pretty girls to have to be in such an awkward position. However, once I realized they were bringing pretty men in again, I thought, OK, maybe she will find someone she's attracted to and find happily-ever-after, so this week my fingers, against my will, turned to the channel and my eyes fixed on the screen.*Blush*

I'm afraid it's hopeless. As long as they offer these terribly addictive shows on TV, we will be drawn to them like moths to a flame. Cliched, I know, but true.(sigh)

© Copyright 2004 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/273102-Im-So-Ashamed