*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/274028-A-Little-Rain-Never-Hurt
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#274028 added January 24, 2004 at 3:22pm
Restrictions: None
A Little Rain Never Hurt
Why has rain or getting wet become almost a fear in our society? I had plans to go play golf with a friend today, but the forecasters were predicting rain. Like that really has any significance in Texas.

So, I call my friend Julie this morning, and lo and behold, the ground is wet but the rain has stopped. Hallelujah! We'll get a round in yet. I'm all excited until I go to reach for the phone. Then I realize who I'm dealing with here. Julie is one of those cautious people, and I'm really not in the mood to answer twenty questions and try to cajole her into going. She even recently got new golf clubs that she hasn't used yet. Maybe that will do it. After all, I couldn't have a new toy without being antsy to play with it.

I mean, really, what does she have to lose? No lightning is predicted, so the worst that can happen is that it starts raining again hard enough that we have to get a rain check. The other alternative is simply not to play and forego the fun. Don't people realize that? You take a fairly insignificant risk or you miss out on the good stuff.

Most people in my life think I'm something of a nut. If I want to go hang out with my friends who live an hour and a half away, I get in the car and go. They ask me, how can you drive that far so often? Why wouldn't I? I'm going to have a great time, so what's a little driving going to hurt me?

I've been known to show up at a party in the wee hours, but going for a little while is better than not going at all! Now, I might underrate caution a bit, but I guarantee you that I find more fun times than the average person.

So, I get ahold of Julie, and yep, she says that rain is predicted. I tell her it's not raining right now, so let's go. But, she says that ground is wet. So what? We'll play a little more challenging game today. But, but, but.... Whatever. I went to the driving range by myself. She sat at home and did nothing (and will bitch later that she never has anything exciting going on in her life). I, on the other hand, got some great tips from a golf pro.

© Copyright 2004 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/274028-A-Little-Rain-Never-Hurt