*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275386-November-26-2003-amawitch
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
November 26, 2003: amawitch

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends! Your host this week is amawitch

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Hi,*Smile*

Without a doubt, Turkey day is the most fun time of the year. The smells, the people, the smells, the relatives, the smells,..... *Smile*

I find that on Writing.com anytime of the year is a good time, but certain celebrations spark such creativity that all of sudden, contests come out of every corner, auctions abound, and New Writers join by the bunches.
I decided that this Newsletter I would ask various "older" members three questions, and post their answers, in the hopes that it would spark some feeling of " wow, I am not alone" or "someone felt like this too?"

So these were my questions.

#1. What was the hardest thing to get used to here on Writing.com? #2. Did you ever recieve a low rating that made you feel badly? #3. What is the most fun thing to do here?



The first person I asked was The Milkman
What was the hardest thing to get used to using here on Writing.?
I must say the hardest thing was getting used to people reading and reviewing my writings.
Did you ever recieve a low rating that made you feel badly?

There are times when I don't agree with my reviewer but I never had one to make me feel bad. Writing.Com is more like showing your family something you write.

What is the most fun thing to do here?

The most fun thing for me is judging and creating new prompts for "The Writer's Cramp" [13+], which by the way my readers I searched and found by typing in Writers Cramp in the Search space at the top of my open page. It is "The Writer's Cramp - Poetry Week. It also gave me a chance to look over other items in this members port, and I found many help items, and other things. Take the time to visit, you wont be sorry.


The next person to respond was Lady Stars


#1-the hardest thing for me to figure out was keeping something private while it's still be worked on-I just jumped in and never looked back!

#2 Oh yes-a low rate without a good basic solid review telling me why and saying that I was weak-very hurtful

#3 the most fun thing-outside of the reading and writing would be chatting with friends on the scrollLady stars

Hope that helped


I decided to address the Lady's first response. When you create an item you have choice to make that item private or public. When I was a Newbie here that option was being worked on, so I also had a hard time figuring it out when it became a new author tool. When you create a new item, you have a choice to make it private, public, for certain eyes, or for one person. You can assign a code that only you know, and after you finish your work, you can change it, or leave it. What a great way to keep those things private you are not ready to share yet!!!*Smile*

Next up is our very own Tigger thinks of Prancer

The most enjoyable thing to do on Writing.Com is... oh wow... there's a lot. I really enjoy the Skroll (Scrolling Messages); it's a great way to get to some some of the members on the site. I love running my group "Send-A-Ribbon/Send-A-Smile Staff!" where I get to send smiles in the form of awardicons, merit badges, and costumicons. I enjoy reviewing others' work... I get a sense of accomplishment through that. I love entering contests, even if I don't win... they provide a wonderful challenge. I like receiving reviews because i usually review the person back, so I get to read items that I otherwise would not have known existed...
Sure, I can answer... Let's see... the hardest thing to get used to on Writing.Com was using the WritingML codes. I had a hard time figuring out how to link items, use color, and everything else.

Did I ever receive a low rating that disheartened me? Well, I think at the beginning I did. But, after a little time went on, I realized that I really liked lower ratings better because they often came with advice... not unconditional positive regard.

Gymnast is another of the most helpful people here at Writing.com. By the way I searched out her item also for her Send a ribbon folder. Take a look. "Invalid Item

Last but not least is our very special Pita . I can not tell you how many times she corrected my grammer, and puncuation!!!
Here are her responses.


Hardest thing was learning to navigate all the features and terms (such as bitem etc)

#2 yes, when I was new. Not really anymore, the review is more important to me than the numbers

Most fun is the people, enjoying friendships here :)


Well I hope this helps some of you new members find a few things and not be so hesitant to just "plunge" right in. Remember as the site grows, and the features improve, we are all Newbies in one way or another.



*******************************************
Also remember to enter the next contest:
"Invalid Item
It is for you Newbies.

Wind beneath your wings all,
*Kiss*
amawitch
noticing newbies committee sig
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.



Editor's Picks

Highlighting Newbie BioBlocks*Frown*



I am still finding so many Bio-Blocks that are empty*Frown*. But tht's ok because maybe some of you are still learning your way around, and trying to decide what you want to say about yourselves, right? So I want to welcome these
Newbies and encourage them and of course all of you to please take the time to fill in your Bio-Block. It gives us an introduction to you and helps to give us an idea of who you are!!! *Smile*

Your Bio-Block can always be changed, updated. It can be serious, humorous, or just silly. Its your introduction to us, so come on all you Newbie's out there, let us in on who you are!

Here are some Newbies I found interesting and/or entertaining. I read their work, and found myself very entertained. Please give them a read and consider posting your own "welcome mat" in your Newbie Bio-Block.

~~Say hello to~~~


TheRogueLucario

cbullock

Illuminist

Sal

tonyamc

bloomygirl

sessy_lette

What wonderful writers we have here on Writing.com I am sure you will enjoy these special choices. Enjoy.
Write On!


*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

I laughed so hard. I will never look at a turkey the same way.

*Star*
 Butterfly Sublime  [E]
The gentle power of love
by Illuminist

I felt so many different emotions when I read this.

*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Talent, heartfelt, a subject that is rarely spoken about. Thank you.

*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

I have been there , my friend, as I am sure others will also identify.


Till next time, read, write, be happy! *Kiss*
Wind beneath your wings all,
amawitch
noticing newbies committee sig
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.








 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

In keeping with the theme of the Newsletter I thought I would address some of the other things written about in the Editor portion of this Newsletter.
The The StoryMistress has a wonderful port filled with help items and guidance. One of my favorites is Reviewing@Writing.com

If you feel that you have recieved an unkind or rude review, at the bottom of the review is a link to go to so that you may forward it and see if action needs to be taken.

And if all else fails, as it has me at times *Frown*, go to the navagation tools, click on Member tools and scroll down to Consol. And ask anyone on line!!!!! It works.
Have a great Turkey Day
Wind beneath your wings
amawitch
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 02-02-04 @ 1:42am | Modified: 02-02-04 @ 1:42am      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275386-November-26-2003-amawitch