*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275391-December-31-2003-storytime
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
December 31, 2003: storytime

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter


Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends! Your host this week is
esprit


Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header



Hi, welcome to all the new members, and the not so new too. You have each found your way here by a different route. One by one you chose to join us. Can you say 'The Ultimate Writing Group?'

I don't think of writing.com as a writing group, but as a community of writers. Writing.com though, is the largest, most interactive writers group on the web. Joining a group usually means you want to learn to write. Whether you are published or a brand-new writer, there is always room to grow.

Some groups like to talk about writing but do little of it. They do even less reading, and no critiquing. Our group actually welcomes your writing. The members respect the work you do and are very willing to help; it is only up to you to ask.

One of the many benefits of belonging to a good writer’s group is the feedback you receive. Your work will receive honest critiques, you will be told the truth and given good advice most of the time.

It’s easy for a writer to believe their writing is awful and be afraid of showing it. This group understands that fear and will encourage you. You are among a group of people who give and accept critiques, who will read your work, who respect each other and each other’s work. Welcome. You are a member of the most comprehensive writer's group there is. You are a writer.


SITE NAVIGATION


Are you able to find your way around this site without getting lost yet? When I first became a member, it took me a week or so to figure out how to put a favorite forum into My Favorites. I thought it was referring to IExplorer Favorites. I laugh now, but it wasn’t funny at the time.

A member told me to click on the fist. Sure enough, it worked! The fist in an author’s signature would be a Favorite Author. Go to the upper right to find the forum’s fist.

When I posted a question on a forum, I didn’t know I had a record of all of My Posts in Member Tools to help me get back to it. I was lost. I read Getting Started several times. I clicked on the links and explored. Don't worry, if you click on something you aren't permitted to visit you won't break anything, you just won't be able to open the page.

Author Tools is where you go to create a new item, look at your feedback, and the reviews you have sent to other author's, and learn more about Writing ML.
Finally, with all the helpful answers I received, everything made sense and it was much more fun.

Most of you have already learned all this; however, I know there are one or two out there like me, who are afraid to ask for fear of seeming stupid. For full enjoyment of the many things to do on writing.com, ask the question! Every one of us was once a newbie, and we all remember how it was.



Editor's Picks

Here are a few newbies I have noticed around the site.

minari-naga

fuey20034

marmaladeboy

rabidhunter

outta

nek07

r4ve

mallory_b

morayma68


Check out some of these items. They range from beginning writers to the more experienced. All could use encouragment, critiques and a warm welcome.

 Invalid Item  []
Genres:
by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []
Genres:
by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []
Genres:
by A Guest Visitor


 The Masquerade  [E]
Genres: Cultural - Drama
by NaijaChiqa


 gifts from God  [E]
Genres: Experience - Family - Inspirational
by nek07


 Invalid Item  []
Genres:
by A Guest Visitor





 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

All questions can be answered by reading
Getting Started: Table of Contents  (E)
Visit here for a tour of Writing.Com and learn about this vast, exciting site!
#168945 by The StoryMistress


A couple of newbies asked me about Gift Points. They wanted to know what they are used for.

Check on gift point tools in Site Navigation and read. Go to Our Store
and see what's there. You can collect them by winning contests, reading and reviewing, or you can buy them. You can use them to upgrade your account or share with others. Did you know you can buy a cool T-shirt and cap with the writing.com logo on them?




FEEDBACK

I received quite a bit of feedback from my last newsletter on Brief Descriptions. I loved it and appreciate every one of you taking the time to write. Pro or Con, send your comments and see your name in the next newsletter!

Submitted Comment: by gurll

Brief Description: I agree that a brief description is important. Like a book cover or your personal physical appearance, it projects information about the inside. Those perceiving us or our writing should have flexibility of opinion once they get inside, but we should help them in the right direction when possible. There is too much information out there for readers to sift through, as a writer, we have a responsibility to package our work in a useful manner!

I agree, Juliet. The right direction is a well thought-out description to make the reader curious enough to want to read your book.

===============


Submitted Comment: by hissmonster

Hi Espirit!
You were my 1st reveiwer! This newbie appreciates it very much! and can identify with the descriptions plight! My 1st intro to writing was a 500 word or less intro to myself, it took me 14 tries before I came up with something I could stand. As they say, writing about yourself is the hardest thing we can do! Nice article.

Thank You, Hissthecoffeefairy! I love your handle! Yes, but you will learn to plug your work and toot your own horn, loudly.

===============


Submitted Comment: by chon_tillman

The Newbies will eventually become oldies, but maybe they'll look back and help the newbies out, thanks for this newsletter.

You're welcome! Obliquity, we are all newbies in one way or another, and none of us are beyond the need of help in some way. For instance, commas! I'll never get 'em right!

===============


Submitted Comment: by camy

Great newsletter about brief descriptions! It brings up a topic I hadn't thought much about before, and also gives practical advice on why they're important and how to make them the best they can be. Thanks!

You're welcome! Think about some foods offered without a description. Popcorn Chicken? Hush Puppies? Thanks, Camy.

===============


These are items I have found helpful in my journey.

User Resources  (E)
A brief listing of review forums, how-to articles, writing workshops for newbies :)
#614859 by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#615558 by Not Available.


THE DROP-OFF BOX   (13+)
Monthly newbie contest.
#530577 by Tammy~Catchin Up~


Story Cafe  (ASR)
All invited, Speak your mind, got a New Story?, Opinion?, Need help?, Like a story?.
#101179 by The Milkman


How To Get Viewed  (E)
One of the most important items to read. 36 ways to get viewed!
#336370 by Theday


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#698163 by Not Available.


FORUM
Noticing Newbies  (13+)
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
#126963 by The StoryMistress


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#756302 by Not Available.


and a brand new item to place in your favorites now that you know how.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#794007 by Not Available.


I want to wish you all a Happy and Safe New Year. I'll see you next year!

** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **

noticing newbies committee sig

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 02-02-04 @ 1:44am | Modified: 02-02-04 @ 1:44am      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275391-December-31-2003-storytime