*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298044
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #866998
A handful of college students fight for survival in a Wildlife National Park.
#298044 added April 3, 2009 at 4:30am
Restrictions: None
Chapter I
PART ONE

THE PLAYERS







Chapter I



The students were all gathered in a huddle in front of the main Notice board located in the central Lobby of the St. Aloysius College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Jabalpur. There were some first-years, but the majority of those aggregated and pouring over the notices were senior students from second year and upwards.

Sandesh put his hand between the flanks of two male students and determinedly pushed his way in to reach the front row. The college was organizing a picnic to some or the other National Park near Jabalpur. Sandesh gave it a cursory glance and was about to move off when someone nudged him from behind.

“Hey, who’s this? Take care, please …” he grumbled and turned around to look into the hazel brown eyes and pretty face of Rati.

“It’s me, Sandy!” Rati put her finger on Sandy’s chin and laughed mischievously. She was only too aware of the fact that Sandesh had flipped for her, and enjoyed his discomfiture whenever she accosted him thus in the College.

“Oh, hi, Rats, I … er … did not know it was you!” replied Sandesh shyly. It was no secret that he was physically attracted to Rati. And which boy wasn’t? Rati was, after all, smart, tall, sexy and had the most beautiful hazel eyes!

I wish she took me seriously. Sandesh cleared his throat and gestured for Rati to come with him. She nodded Okay, and they exited the group before the notice board.

“What were you reading? Anything important?” Rati said with a toss of her head. Her silky straight brown hair brushed Sandesh’s face for just a tiny instant. A smell of lavender spiked with patchouli flowers penetrated his nose that moment and caused him to sigh with pleasure.

Rati immediately realized what had happened when Sandesh took in a sharp breath and reddened.

“I am sorry …” she interjected.

“No, no, it’s all right …” Sandesh muttered. He regained his composure and said, “Let us go to the canteen and we’ll talk there.” He gently offered his hand -which Rati deliberately ignored - as she walked with him to the canteen located at the end of the corridor.

There was, as usual, a crowd and lots of bluster in the canteen. All the tables were taken, but there were a few empty stools near the front-end where the Manager took and handed out the orders for the students.

“Hello, Jaani,” said Sandesh as the Manager approached him to take the order.

“Hello, Sandy, what will you have?” asked the manager of him.

“What will you have, Rats?” asked Sandesh in a whisper to Rati.

“Oh, I’ll have a coffee, not too strong, with “Equal” added in it,” said Rati, her eyes wandering around the canteen. She planted herself on to one of the empty stools and began to rummage through her faux-alligator hand-bag for something.

“What are you searching for?” asked Sandesh, who ordered a plate of samosa and a black tea and had come to sit on a stool next to Rati’s.

“Oh, nothing,” said Rati, but she came up with a small mirror and a lip-gloss. She stretched her mouth this way and that and carefully applied the plum coloured lip-gloss over areas where it had smudged off.

“Hey Rats!” came a shout from the back as a meaty hand landed on Sandesh’s left shoulder.

A burly teen came up to Sandesh, clasped the latter by his shoulders, and nearly lifted him off the stool.

“Hey, Chand, how are you, man?” Sandesh exclaimed. Chand naughtily winked at Rati and punched Sandesh in the tummy.

“Oof!” Sandesh mocked as he pulled the last remaining stool towards them and invited Chand to sit down.

“What’s up, Chand?” asked Rati as Chand drew out a single folded sheet from between his shirt buttons. It was a bit crumpled, and a little wet too, from being in contact with Chand’s sweat.

“Yeech …!” said Rati as she gingerly picked one corner of the paper and shook it to open its crease. It seemed to be a sort of handbill.

“Let me see it,” said Sandesh chivalrously as Rati continued to tweak her nose against the paper. Sandesh opened it face-up on the marble-top and they all began to read it.

Dear Students (it read),

You are hereby informed that there will be a One-day PICNIC to PENCH NATIONAL PARK on Saturday, 29th June, 20--. The picnic is open to all college students. Staff members and subordinate staff will also be attending. There will be special buses to go to the picnic site. Breakfast and evening tea will be supplied by the college; the picnickers will have to carry their own lunches, as cooking is not permitted on the Park grounds.

The damages per head will be Rs. 500/=. This will include transportation cost, entry fees to the park, beverages and other incidental expenses. Students will be required to give their names and fees latest by 25th May in the College Office.

Guests are permitted, and the damages per guest will be Rs. 700/=. Students who bring guests will be responsible for them, both financially and legally. Children under 12 are not permitted.

The college warns students that they would be attending the picnic on their own responsibility. The college authorities would not be liable for any rule infringements by students.

No sharp items or weapons of any kind will be permitted into the Park. There will be an additional charge of Rs. 50/= for movie cameras. Mobile phones will not work and are not permitted. Except for the entry area and the Tourist’s area, the rest of the Park is a National Wildlife Sanctuary and we will not be allowed access into the same. Please take note of this.

I entreat my students not to do anything that will let the name of our prestigious college down.

Our Arts teacher, Mrs. Braganza has agreed to provide an opportunity to all students to draw and sketch any wild animals that are seen. I therefore suggest to students to bring along sketching material, as also, binoculars and other personal effects.

I sincerely hope all the students will attend and make the picnic a grand success.

Signed,

Fr. Anthony Mascarenhas.
Principal, St. Aloysius College

14th May, 20--.


“They are giving out this handbill to anyone who cares to take it just outside the Principal’s lair. I brought a few more,” said Chand, as he rummaged in his shirt and, removing some more hand-bills, gave out a copy each to Sandesh and Rati.

“Would you like to have something?” Rati invited him to join, but Chand shook his head and got off his seat.

“Gotta go, pals!” he said as he waved to another group at a different table and left.

Sandesh barely got a “G’bye” in before Chand had zipped off to his new group. Rati smiled at him and drank up the remaining coffee in the next gulp.

“I’ve to go too, Sandy!” she said as she wiped her lips delicately with a tissue paper. Sandy called for the bill and got up hastily. He got around to the other side of Rati and helped her get up. Rati gave off yet another million-watt smile as she swished her hair again on to Sandesh’s face “innocently”. Sandesh paid the bill to the waiter and followed Rati out.

“So, what do you think? Will you be coming to the picnic?” he asked hesitantly, afraid of taking “No” as a reply.

“Of course, Sandy! What have I got to lose?” Rati flashed her teeth at Sandesh and muttered a “thank you” to him for sponsoring her coffee.

Sandesh blushed to the tips of his ears as he said, “It’s all right, Rats, you don’t hafta thank me every time …”

They parted near the stairs. Sandesh would go up to the third floor to Lecture Hall no. 4 to attend a class on “Ancient Roman Art” while Rati, who had joined a one-year diploma course, went to the second floor to attend the Practical class.


********
© Copyright 2009 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298044