*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307573-The-Request
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307573 added October 22, 2004 at 7:00pm
Restrictions: None
The Request
“Word is spreading all over Brovan. On April 19, we take back our country,” Doustan said. “And you get your revenge.”

Zander grinned. He had planned this for years, and now there were thousands of men all around the country, ready to fulfill it. Ever since the rebel Brovanians agreed to join Chasilin’s plight, everything began to fall into place. Now every inch of Brovan had an enemy. They were in its army, on its ships, in the houses of its nobles and government. From the Northern woods to the southern plains; from the borders of Talis to the edge of the Sauyan Sea, Brovan would be completely taken over in eight months.

“I never thought I’d say this,” Doustan said, grimly, “but let us pray that King Elbert is still alive in April.”

Zander, Doustan, Ren, Bertram, and Ira and Gorman (two other leaders of the rebellion) sat in Doustan’s parlor. The entire left side of the first floor, was the family’s living quarters and Doustan had his own rooms. Often, the six of them sat in this small room and discussed different strategies. Ira grunted.

“We worked for too long, Doustan, to actually hope that…” Ira stopped. He ran his hand through his graying hair. “…But how I would love to sink my sword into his stinking flesh.” Ira’s only son was hung on charges of thief even though the supposed stolen item was found before the sentence was carried out.

“I’d rather set his palace on fire with everyone still in it,” Gorman smiled. The captain of the unit in Salsom wanted Gorman’s land, which had been in his family for centuries. When he refused to give it up, his entire family was locked inside their home. The captain and his men held torches and threatened to burn the house down unless Gorman signed the land over to them. Gorman signed the papers. The captain then grabbed a
He then left Gorman to listen to the screams and cries of his trapped family. After burying their remains, Gorman traveled until he came to Wedimell.

Everyone in that room had been personally devastated by King Elbert and his people. Everyone, that is, except Doustan. Zander looked at the Ranley patriarch. He was a small man with a thin layer of white hair on his head. The only thing they hadn’t talked about was who would rule once the DeLaney family was gone. Zander supposed that one of the leaders would take over. But if that were so, than they would need to decide pretty soon. The last thing their country needed was a power struggle

“King Elbert will die,” Doustan said, “when the time comes we’ll decide how.” He yawned. “The sun will be upsoon. We had best adjourn and get some sleep.”

The men stood and stretched. Doustan put his hand on Zander’s shoulder.
“I’ll see you out,” he said.

Everyone except Zander and Ren left.

“You may as well sit down,” Doustan said, settling himself in his own cushioned chair. “Do you want anything to eat or drink?”

“No,” Zander said, “we don’t want to trouble you.”

“It’s no trouble, I can get Jassy to bring some tea and biscuits.”

“No sir, it’s quite all right.”

Doustan stood up and pulled on a cord.
“She brings it to me every morning anyway.” He pointed to the cord. “Like that? Landon installed it. Saw it at Drihagee’s manor. Ha! The rich aren’t the only ones who can afford a bit of luxury! Ren, stoke the fire a bit.”

Ren got up and put another log on the fire. Grabbing the poker, he pushed it about until caught the flames.

“Who’s that?” Ren asked, replacing the poker on its stand.

Over the mantle, hung a portrait of a young woman. Her brown hair was pulled up. Some tresses blew across her face as if the wind had dragged them away. Her dark eyes seemed to watch something far off; her red lips were slightly parted as if she were about to speak. She held a bouqet of silver roses next to her face.

“That is my late wife, Mara Ranley,” Doustan said, “the most beautiful woman that ever lived. She died many years ago when Jassy was only 15. It was Mara who planted all the roses. She said there is much in a name and a place must reflect that. I don’t know where she got them, but she planted all those silver roses that have climbed over the front of the inn. And they bloom always.”


“Always?” Ren questioned.

“Yes. They are in full bloom spring, summer, autumn, and winter.”

“Winter, sir?”

“Aye. I do not know how. But Mara was a very special woman and they are very special flowers.”

“That I am sure of,” Zander said, “but don’t people steal them? Silver roses would fetch a very good price.”

“Aye, they would, except that they dissolve in the hands of anyone who is not in the family.”

“Dissolve?!” Ren exclaimed. “That can only be the work of magic!”

“No! No, no. It’s not magic!” Doustan exclaimed, quickly rising. “My Mara knew no magic. No matter what anyone says, there wasn’t a fiber of magic in her being! Fortune was on her side, that was all. Good fortune… always shone on her.”

Doustan walked over to the mantle. He stared up at her portrait. Zander and Ren exchanged puzzled glances over his sudden outburst.

“See here,” Doustan said motioning to the men to stand by him. “These are my daughters.” He pointed to another portrait that hung on the wall. “The girls are quite young in this. It was painted before the eldest were married. That is Ameryl, the oldest.” He said pointing her out. “And there’s Nianna. They both live in Giann. There’s Azle and Juliette, you know them. And Hanna… she’s married to some lord somewhere. Has never come back to see the family, although she’s much closer than Ameryl and Nianna. Thinks she’s too good for us, she does. And that is Latrine. She lives in Fleib. Ah yes, I almost forget Maurette, Snow’s mother. And, of course, Jassy. She’s only a babe in this painting.”

Doustan had carefully pointed out each of his daughters as he said their names. As he turned away, Zander noticed he’d forgotten one golden-haired toddler.

“Mr. Ranley,” Zander said, “you forgot one. It’s no wonder with so many lovely daughters.”

“Eh? Which one?” Doustan looked back at the painting.

“This one,” Zander said, pointing

“Her? She’s of no consequence. She’s not my daughter.” Doustan shuffled back to his chair.

“But if she isn’t your daughter, why is she in this portrait?”

Doustan shrugged.
“Must have snuck in somehow.” He rubbed his hands together. “Now then, I have a serious matter I wish to speak with you about.”

Zander and Ren sat back down. The old man pressed his fingers together in the shape of a steeple. He looked from Zander to Ren and back to Zander.

”As you know, once we overthrow the DeLaney family, Brovan will need a new king.”

Zander put his hand up.
”Sir,” he said, “I think this is a subject better discussed with your friends and comrades.”

”Are you not my friends and comrades?”

”Yes, but we are not Brovanian. The matter of Brovan’s ruler is no concern of ours.”

”Ah, but it is your concern, Zander. We don’t want to replace one tyrant with another. You don’t want someone who’s secretly sympathetic to the DeLaney’s to come into power and carry on their legacy. That person might start with leading another attack on your country.”

Zander sighed. It was a possibility…

”Which is why at the next meeting I want to have a motion to elect me onto the throne.”

Zander pictured the fragile Doustan on a huge throne with a gold crown two sizes too big for his little head. He put his hand up to his nose to cover his smile.

”And I want you two to start the motion,” Doustan said.

Zander’s smile quickly faded.

”Us?!” Ren exclaimed.

“Sir, I really don’t think this is proper,” Zander said quickly. “I mean no one will listen to what two foreigners think—“

“Of course they’ll listen,” Doustan said. “You’re respected, almost as if you were Brovanians.”

Almost.

“Besides,” he continued, “once the vote is out there, no one will remember who started it.”

“Mr. Ranley—“

“I’d like to remind you of all the support I gave you when you all first came here. Without me, your little plight would fail.”

Zander felt his face turn hot. How dare this dumb, old man assume that he couldn’t succeed without him. They were helping the rebel Brovanians! Not the other way around.

“Zander. Ren. You owe me this one small favor. After all, I even got Jassy to allow you to stay here almost for free! And I intend to ask Landon for support, so there’s your Brovanian. Together, they’ll have to listen to you.”

Zander put his hand over his eyes. He only wanted to tear Brovan down, not help rebuild it.

“Mr. Ranley, I must insist that you keep Chasilin out of such matters that don’t concern it,” Zander said.

“Who are you to say what does and doesn’t concern Chasilin?” Doustan asked. “Only the king of that country can say such and you, young man, could never know what your king would want! You’re only headstrong boy! You’ll never understand the matters we kingly men think of. Your slain king would laugh in his grave to think that you are trying to pretend to know what is good for Chas--”

“You go too far, old man!” Zander shouted, leaping to his feet. “How dare you talk about the honorable king Alder! He would never laugh at what is going on. I have dedicated my whole life to Chasilin’s good! Don’t you ever question me on what is best for my country! I know what’s best! I’m the—“

“Ladies!” Ren shouted interrupting Zander.

Jassy, Wenda, and Snow stood in the doorway holding trays full of goodies.

“Please, come in,” Ren said, looking at Zander while walking over to the women.

“We thought it’d be nice to eat breakfast together,” Jassy said, “but I see this is a bad time. We’ll leave you alone.”

“Oh thank God!” Snow said, quickly turning.

“No, no. This is a perfect time, isn’t it Mr. Ranley?” Ren said.

“Uh, yeah, sure…” Doustan said quietly.

“See,” Ren said, grabbing Wenda’s elbow and pulling her into the room, “we insist.”

“Well if you insist,” Wenda said, setting her tray of biscuits, butter, and jam down.

“Come, please. We need some cheer,” Ren said with a hand out to Jassy.

Slowly, Jassy came into the room.

“We’ll be brief,” she said placing her tray next to Wenda’s. “Snow, put your tray on the table. Snow? Snow!”

Jassy walked out of the room.

“I’ll pour the tea,” Wenda said. Picking up the pot she poured out five cups of tea. “Here Grandpapa.” She handed one to Doustan. “How do you like your tea, Ren?”

“Two spoons of sugar, no cream.”

“How about you Zander?” Wenda asked.

Zander didn’t answer. He’d been standing against the wall, arms crossed over his chest, gloweringly watching them as if he were looking in through a window. Ren sat there sipping his tea as if nothing had happened. As if the old man hadn’t just insulted his country and his king! He wondered how strong Ren’s loyalty was to Chasilin and to himself. He would not tolerate a turncoat in his midst.

“I don’t want any breakfast!”

Jassy pulled Snow into the room.

“Nonsense!” Jassy said, dragging her over to a chair. “I’m sure that even the princess of Brovan has a good breakfast everyday.”

Jassy practically pushed Snow into a chair.

“I’m sure she’s never forced to eat or do anything!” Snow retorted.

“Well,” Jassy said picking up the teapot, “maybe that’s why she’s so difficult.”

Snow crossed her arms and glared at her aunt.

“Here now, drink your tea, Snow.”

Snow took the cup and saucer from her aunt’s outstretched hand. Sitting straight and tall she held it with her hands in her lap. With a sigh, Jassy sat down on a small couch with Wenda and blew at the steam that rose from her own cup. An uncomfortable silence fell upon the small group.

“My it looks like it’s going to be a lovely day,” Ren said.

“Yes,” Wenda quickly agreed. “Actually, Christa, Rachel, Faye, and I were all planning a picnic later today.”

“Really?!” Ren exclaimed.

“Yes, we’re going to the pond at the Drihagee’s.”

“Drihagee!” Doustan muttered with a loud snort.

“If you, Zander, and Eric and Nelson would like to come you are more than welcome to.” Wenda said. “We’re leaving as soon as the midday meal here is over.”

“That would be delightful, wouldn’t it Zander?”

Zander gave Ren a cold stare in answer. Ren quickly looked back at Wenda.

“You know, Rosemarie mentioned wanting to go walking there once.” Ren said. “But Zander had been too tired to go then.”

“Why didn’t you go with her, Ren?” Jassy asked.

“I only walk when there’s a destination,” Ren said. “Walking for its own sake and pleasure… I leave that to kings and men like Zander.”

Zander felt some of his anger leave as he understood Ren’s attempt to make peace.

“But odd as she is,” Ren continued, “it should come as no surprise that Rosemarie also likes walking.”

“So what?” Wenda asked.

Ren shrugged.

“It’s just that it seems to me that those who enjoy doing the same thing would get more pleasure out of it by doing it together.” He said.

Ren had been relentlessly trying to bring Zander and Rosemarie together for the past month. How he felt about Rosemarie... well, he didn't know. But he didn't think this was the time to worry about love when there were more important matters going on. Why Ren didn't understand that-- His mother had thought the same thing, Zander suddenly remembered. He had tried to push that last day at home out of his head but now the words of his mother came rushing back.

"That girl?!" She had exclaimed when he mentioned that Rosemarie was helping him learn Brovanian. "Is she the reason why you barely look at the princesses and ladies who want to marry you?!"

The princesses and the ladies-- there had been dozens of them over the years. All beautiful, all wealthy, all the same. They wore so many layers of clothing, so much make up, so much perfume, he often wondered what they were hiding. He didn't want to find out he married a monster on his wedding night. Besides, they were only interested in him because he was royalty. If he had been a peasant they never would have looked his way.

But Rosemarie wasn't trying to marry him. She never seemed to expect anything from him. She just loved Chasilin. And from what he could tell, that was all.

"And when we are through..."

Zander's mind snapped back to what was in front of him. Doustan was talking.

"... I shall be crowned king of Brovan!" He finished beaming. He gave wary sideways glance at Zander.

"Oh! Granpapa!" Wenda exclaimed, leaping to her feet. "Then I'll be a princess!"

"Yes, Wenda," Doustan said, "and you shall have whatever you want."

"Thank you Granpapa!" Wenda threw her arms around his neck.

Wenda and Doustan proudly beamed. Ren smiled uncomfortably. Jassy looked shocked. Zander couldn't tell how Snow felt. Her face was devoid of any emotion.

"What say you, Jassy?" Doustan asked his daughter.

"Papa...I honestly don't know what to say," Jassy gave a troubled glance to Snow who didn't seem to notice it. "Maybe we should discuss this at another time."

"Nonsense!" Doustan grinned. "I want all of you to rejoice with me. I, myself, shall drive a sword through King Elbert's heart! As you know he who gets rid of the king becomes the king."

Zander balled his hands into fists. The stubborn old man was using his family. The more support he got from them, the less he'd need to heed the words of the opposition.

"Does that mean I'll have to kill Princess Marina to become princess?" Wenda asked with wide eyes.

"None of you will touch the DeLaney's," Zander said. Everyone's eyes turned to him. I have sworn to kill each member of that family myself. And by my father, by Chasilin, and by God I shall!"

"Then you'll be the king?!" Wenda smiled.

"I don't care who will be the king of this pathetic country. I only want to see the royal family, allthe powers of Brovan, and everyone in that palace dead. Afterwards you can all fight over the throne. For now the focus must remain on the rebellion itself. If you want to decide on your future king, then discuss it in a council of your peers." Everyone's eyes embarrassedly avoided his stern gaze as he looked at each one in turn. He almost gasped when he got to Snow. Her suddenly white face was filled with rage, and yet her dark eyes seemed watery. She almost scared him.

"Snow?" Jassy said.

Snow looked at Jassy and stood up. With a disgust filled glance at Zander, she walked out of the room; slamming the door behind her. 
© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307573-The-Request