*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307574-Darkness-Falls
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307574 added October 22, 2004 at 7:16pm
Restrictions: None
Darkness Falls
Tara smoothed the sheets on the princess’ bed. It had been several weeks since she had left, but Tara ran her quarters almost as if she were still there. The princess’ rooms were dusted, swept, and scrubbed daily. Her clothes were aired out and her bed changed once a week. Fresh flowers from the late Queen Safie’s gardens were put in her rooms Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Although they had been ordered to carry on as if the princess were there, Tara was glad to have something to do. For some odd reason, the royal family didn’t want anyone to know the princess had runaway. They lived their lives and ran the palace as if she were still there. They wouldn’t even allow the servants who knew to tell the others.

No one said why this had to be kept in secrecy, but Tara had her own suspicions. At first, she thought it was because of the thousands of rebels in the country. If they knew, they would hunt the princess down and probably hold her hostage. But if that were the reason, then the king or prince would have sent their men to bring her back by now. Yet, nothing had been done.

Tara could only conclude that either they didn’t care, didn’t think she was in much danger, or didn’t want her to come back anyway. But with her engagement to Prince Val of Ecknosh, none of her conclusions could be true.

Placing the last burgundy pillow with gold trim neatly on the bed, Tara stepped back to look at her work. The bed was fit for a queen. That was all that needed to be done for the morning. Tara walked out of the bedroom, through the outer room and into the hallway. Walking toward two huge doors, she went into the sitting room. There were four sets of chairs and couches that surrounded four tables in four different parts of the room. There was a game of chess in one corner, and checkers in another. On another corner table was a gold box with four decks of cards. The last of the corner tables held a box with compartments full of different items for all sorts of games. There were blindfolds for Blindman’s Bluff, and there were dice, ribbons, marbles, and all kinds of interesting things. Tara couldn’t even guess what most of the things were for. The princess probably didn’t know either since she rarely played any games.

When her mother was alive, she allowed and encouraged the little princess to play with other children no matter what their rank. This shocked the courtiers, and some told the king. King Elvert let Queen Safie know he disapproved, but he didn’t try to stop her. After the queen died, the princess’ governesses and tutors never allowed her to play with anyone. What few friends she did have, she soon lost as they grew from children to adults. So the princess’ sitting room was rarely used. Sometimes she entertained Lady Autumn, but since her cousin married four years ago, the Lady Autumn of Hagerry didn’t have the time to visit.

So the only visitors the princess ever had was her brother and a noblewoman she might have to entertain while the king did business with her husband or father.

Tara sighed sadly.

Tara walked out of the sitting room. Down the hall
was the princess’ favorite room. It was her little library. There were shelves that went from the floor to the ceiling on two walls. The shelves were filled with books on everything from philosophy, science, and politics to tales of adventure, romance, and magic. They were in all kinds of different human languages. The bookshelves were on opposite walls (one of which had the door).

On one wall was the huge fireplace with two big portraits over it. One painting was her family. The king sat, the queen (Safie) stood on his left, the prince stood on his right, and the princess (who was seven at the time) stood in front of her mother.

On the right of that painting was one with Queen Safie and Princess Marina sitting in the Queen’s garden. The two-year-old sat on the queen’s lap while she proudly smiled. The bright colors and smiling faces were a stark contrast from the dark, serious family portrait next to it.

Sighing, Tara walked back into the hall. Heavy footsteps marched toward her. Turning around she saw Burdett, the queen’s right-hand man, and several soldiers from the queen’s guard coming her way. They stopped in front of her.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” She asked calmly although her heart was racing.

“I am looking for the princess’ nanny and head servant, Tara,” Burdett said.

Tara lifted her eyebrows in surprise. She thought they must want to inquire after the princess. Not that she knew anything, but they might try.

“I am she,” she said.

“You?” Burdett questioned, peering closely at her.

“Yes.”

Burdett looked her over.
“You do realize that the penalty for lying to the queen and her people is death.”

“Of course.”


“Fine. Her Majesty the Queen requests an audience with you, Tara.” Burdett turned and walked in the direction he came. A soldier stood on Tara’s right and left. Two soldiers marched in front of her and two behind her.

They walked from the princess’ quarters in the northeast of the palace to the queen’s in the west. The warm, bright atmosphere of the northeast wing was replaced by a cold, dark aura as they entered the queen’s domain. Other than the unsettling feeling in her bones, this part of the palace looked like any other. It was richly decorated with rugs, curtains, tables and vases (althought there weren’t any flowers), chairs, statues, chandeliers, tapestries, and paintings.

The paintings were mostly still life and landscape. Burdett led them up a set of stairs and down another hall. This hall was decorated just as richly as the last one. But Tara could hardly breathe. The evil flowing around it was thick as cream. As neared the end of this hall, Tara did stop breathing. There on the walls were several portraits of Queen Rolina. She remembered these same paintings had hung in her room when she was alive. After the king remarried, they were taken away (probably stored away in some remote part of the palace). How the new queen had found them and why she wanted them… Tara couldn’t figure out.

Of course, she also couldn’t figure out why the queen wanted to be in the west wing in the first place. Normally, the queen’s chambers were next to the king’s in the south wing. Well, that must be how she found Queen Rolina’s portraits. Many parts of the old west wing were used for storage these days. When Queen Renata moved in, a lot of things had to be moved out and put into new places. It wouldn’t be odd for Renata to have a couple of the old queen’s pictures, but to have a dozen of them?

Queen Rolina was very beautiful. Queen Renata couldn’t stand to have the name of a woman she believed to be more beautiful than she, mentioned. Why would she want a portrait of one? Of course, Tara wasn’t sure which of the two queens was more beautiful. But Renata (just like Rolina) couldn’t stand competition.

Tara grimly smiled to herself as they climbed another set of stairs. Over the years, more than two-dozen women had come up missing. Later, these women would be found, dead—with their hearts cut out. They were nobles, businesswomen, and peasants. They were young, middle-aged, wives, mothers, single, healthy, from both the cities and country. But they were always found the same way—faces mutilated and hearts ripped out. No one ever found the hearts. Officially, the murders were attributed to the rebels. But Tara and many others had there own theory about the murders. All these women had been beautiful enough to rival the queen’s beauty. And heart was the queen’s favorite dish.

The next floor was bare. There was nothing in it, not even windows. Torches glowed green with fire. (Yes, green.) The air was frigid like the winter. Tara crossed her arms over her chest expecting to see snowfall from the ceiling. Burdett stopped in front of a door. He knocked on it and said his name.

“I’ve brought her,” he said.

Tara didn’t hear a reply, but the two men in front of her step to the side. The soldiers on her sides pushed her forward and walked her to the door. The door swung open and Tara followed Burdett into the room.

They entered a small room. The curtains were closed; the candles and torches around the room gave off an eerie green-yellow glow. A fire roared in the fireplace, yet a chilling breeze flowed throughout the room. Looking up, Tara saw rafters instead of the ceiling. Nothing but darkness sat above the rafters. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw something move towards her. She quickly turned only to look into flaming green eyes. With a gasp, she made a low bow.

"Your Majesty, I did not see you," she said
breathlessly.

"Do not speak unless spoken to!"

"Yes ma'am."

The floorboards squeaked as the queen moved away. Tara kept her face to the floor.

"Sit." Said the queen.

Tara stood and looked around.

"Here." The queen said, pointing to a chair in front of her.

Tara sat down as ordered. Queen Renata coldly stared at her.

"I'm sure you're wondering why I have called you to my private chambers," Queen Renata said.

"Yes, ma'am."

"You are Tara, Marina's head servant, are you not?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Then of course you are aware that Marina has runaway."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The queen took her eyes off Tara and looked over her head. Tara guessed she was looking at Burdett who must be behind her.

"I have heard that you are the closest person to Marina," Queen Renata said, staring beyond her.

"Some may say that, Your Highness."

"Some?" Her gaze rested on Tara again. "Nay. Many say so."

"As head of the princess' servants it is my job to know much about her, Your Majesty. Therefore, I could be considered as one who is close to her. But if I am the closest... My Queen you must ask the princess that herself."

"That was well said, but we both know I can ask the princess nothing if she is not here. And that is why I have called upon you, Tara." The queen sat down. "It is your job to know where the princess is at all times, is it not?"

"Yes, but--"

The queen put up a hand to silence her.
"And yet you have allowed the girl to runoff. Then, when asked about her whereabouts you say you don't know. It sounds like you have failed your job. It'd be a shame to have to let you go after all your years of service."

Every part of Tara's body froze. Would she really lose her job just because she didn't know where the princess was?

"I see you understand the graveness of your situation," Queen Renata said. "But there is a way to remedy your otherwise sudden demise." The queen leaned forward. "Tara, you know more than you say, I can feel it. You know where the princess is, don't you."

"I am sorry, Your Highness, but I don't know where the princess is."

Queen Renata sat back.
"I see," she said. "You do realize that Marina is second in line to the throne. Sebastian is 47-years-old, he could die any year now. If Marina does not return the kingdom will leave the DeLaney rule for the first time in four hundred years."

Tara couldn't help but to notice that the queen had forgotten that her own husband was 81.

"Your Majesty, surely we must hope that if that were to happen, Princess Marina would return to take her rightful place on the throne."

The queen's face turned sour. Her eyes flamed green with fire.

"No!" She shouted, rising. "That can't be! She will be killed! Those... those people will kill her! That's why we must know where she is. Now tell me!"

"I... I really don't know where she is."

"We have searched everywhere. We have been to all her family, her friends, every noble in the kingdom. We have checked the cities and the ports. No one has seen her. No one knows where she might have gone!"

"I am sorry I can't be of any help, Your--"

"You know something, Tara the princess fairy. I am certain you have information on where she may have run to. You don't want to tell me, but you will." The queen snapped her fingers.

Burdett rushed over to her and placed a knife in her hands.

"Now, you will tell me or I will have my favorite for supper tonight."

Queen Renata pointed the knife at Tara's heart.

"Where is the princess?"

Tara was sure that the queen couldn't kill her. But the scar on her neck told her that she could hurt her.

"Where's the princess, Tara?!"

"She never told me where she was going. She never told me she was leaving. Why would she? She ranaway. She didn't go on vacation!"

"Arrrggghhh!" Queen Renata screamed. "Why isn't my truth spell working?!"

The queen grabbed the chair she'd been sitting in and threw it across the room. The chair crashed against a wall. Tara heard a loud flutter over her head.

"Don't fool with me, fairy," Queen Renata said in a low voice. "We know you're hiding something from us."

"You know nothing. You're nothing more than a mere witch."

Queen Renata's face turned a bright red.

"I am much more than a mere witch. And soon everyone will know that. But you fairy will know it today."

Tara felt the sharp tip of the knife push into her skin.

"With your last breath you will tell me where Marina is."

"I will see you dead before I breath my last."

"Then I suppose neither of us will get your wish!"

The queen pulled her arm back. The knife flashed green as it sped through the air. Tara threw her hands up at the last moment. But the knife pierced straight through her hand and into her chest. Her breath caught in her throat as the metal forced its way into her body and then exited just as suddenly. She didn't feel any pain. The knife in the queen's hand stabbed her again, this time in the stomach. Tara looked down. The top of her sky blue dress was dark. Blood poured out of her right hand and onto her lap. She felt the knife slice her right cheek. It struck with such force that she toppled off the chair. Over her someone laughed.

"Get up fairy!" A woman's voice shouted... the queen. "Am I merely a witch now?!"

Dazed, Tara tried to rise to her feet. But when she put pressure on her right hand, her entire arm seemed to give way. The queen laughed. Tara pushed up on her left elbow. She looked down at the cold stone floor, unsure of what to do. Her body fell back to the ground as the queen stabbed her in the back. She had to do something. But her body felt so weak. Suddenly her ears opened. A loud screeching sounded over and over.

"Renata, stop this!" A voice shouted.

Tara turned her head. The voice was coming from a corner.

"...Renata, she will not be pleased!"

Something flat and large stood in the corner. There was a frame... a dark frame. And the shiny, dark silver inside rippled and swirled. It rippled like raindrops falling into a puddle.

"She will kill our people if you hurt one of hers!" The thing shouted. "She will kill you!"

The queen laughed.
"She cannot touch me, Shad!" She shouted. "You told me yourself that she cannot reach Brovan."

"She may not physically be able to come here, but she has her ways to reach us." The thing said. "Renata, I will warn you one last time: Do not toy with the power of the Fauyen fairies!”

"Power? And is Tara an example of the power of the fairies?! Ha! I would have her dead on the floor in a second, just as I have this one!"

The thing didn't respond for a moment.
"This usurpation will not be tolerated. Let it be known that I had nothing to do with this treachery." The thing said. "May Our Lady Kyrin do with you as she pleases."

The ripples in the thing disappeared. In its place was a picture of the queen kneeling on the floor. Her face and hands were covered in blood. Under her lay a body. The bloody knife sliced the back of that body. Horror stared back at her as she looked into her own eyes. The body was hers. Suddenly, the wounds seemed to come alive. Searing pain shot up and down her body. She couldn't breath. Something was in her throat. In the mirror, blood sputtered out of her mouth as she tried to gasp for air.

"Should I have the liver?" The queen said. "The lungs? No, the heart. Yes, let it beat the rest of its life out in my hands."

The queen roughly rolled her onto her back. Tears welled up in her eyes. Who could live without a heart? Her neck throbbed. The scar. The prisoner. He cut her throat. But she had lived... lived-- Her sisters. Mahan... Mahan... Mahan was dead. Dead. Her soul stirred. No... Wilhelm... Her spirit shook. In Wilhelm there was Mahan. Mahan's heart and spirit never died, so why should hers? Deep in her something lost was awakened. It pushed through her body like a raging river.

The knife plunged into her chest. Tara's body pushed it out. Surprise filled the queen's eyes. She brought the knife down with all her might. It came an inch from Tara's body and stopped. The queen tried to force it down, but it wouldn't budge. The blade twisted and curled until it was nothing but a ball of metal.

"What the--" Queen Renata gasped, studying the useless knife.

The green flames disappeared from the queen's eyes. She blankly stared at Tara.

"Now, feel the power of the fairies!" Tara exclaimed between clenched teeth.

The force that came out of her, pushed her body across the floor. Tara watched as the Queen flew up into the air and hit the rafters.

"Let me down! Let me down!" The queen screamed.

"As you wish!"

The queen fell through the air. She crashed through the chair Tara had sat in before hitting the stone floor. She didn't move.

Screech! Screech!

Above Tara stood a large bird. It was larger than anything she had ever seen. She screamed as it grabbed her in its claws. She wanted to make it release her, but using magic against the queen had drained her of what strength she had left. Pain ripped through her body as the bird's claws tightened around her. Everything became blurry. She felt her body lift off the ground. Glass shattered all around her. Shards stabbed her body. She moaned. Then darkness fell.
© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307574-Darkness-Falls