*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307678-The-Vows
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307678 added January 14, 2005 at 10:51pm
Restrictions: None
The Vows
Snow dodged through the crowded streets. Those who she gracefully ran around, Zander ran into trying keep up. Almost knocking an old lady down, Zander stopped to make sure she was alright.

"Get your hands off of me, you ruffian!" She said, pushing him away.

"Zander!" Michah shouted behind him. He stopped to catch his breath. "I didn't know Snow wished to be rid of us so badly."

"Rid of us?" Zander asked. "Why would she-- Oh, for heavensake! I'm a fool!"

"Be that as it may," Michah said. "I''m gonna call on Christa so you can go ahead and--"

Zander began to run after Snow.

"--and go back home without me!" Michah yelled after him.

It all made sense now. Why every time Snow looked at him her eyes filled with disgust. (Except at the shop just a few minutes ago. She actually smiled then.) He had to get to her. There was only one thing he could do to make amends. But it would give her (and him) peace of mind.

He left the market and the heart of the town. Trees grew beside the road. The inn would be a mile away. Suddenly he saw her in front of him. She was no longer running, but walking swiftly.

"Snow!" He shouted when she was a few feet away.

She turned her head. Seeing him, she began to run.

"No wait!" He shouted. He easily caught up with her this time. Grabbing her arm, he tried to make her face him.

"Let go! Let go of me!" She shouted as she tried to pull away from him.

"Snow!" He said, putting his other arm around her to calm her down. "Snow! Snow, I'm not going to hurt you! I'm not going to hurt you."

Though she said nothing, her eyes told him that she didn't believe him.

"I promise," he said, "I only want to talk to you. Please, hear me out."

She glared at him for a long moment.
"Be quick about it," she finally said.

He breathed a sigh of relief, glad to have her attention for a moment. Looking down at her face, he was suddenly aware of how close he was holding her. He could feel the warmth of her body near his. The last time he had held a woman this close was several years ago when his mother threw a surprise ball for his birthday. He had enjoyed the company of the opposite sex, but he hadn't fallen for his mother's marriage scheme.

He quickly let her go. Running his hand threw his black hair, he forced his mind to think of the matter at hand. Taking a deep breath, he said,

"Listen Snow. I-I realize what I said a couple weeks ago at your grandfather's must have sounded harsh. I know we aren't more than acquantences at best, but, um..." He looked at her to see if she understood what he was trying to say. Her eyes were colder than the cool September air. "I would never harm anyone from Doustan's family. I didn't know you worked at the palace. If I had I would have-- I don't want you in harm's way, but you will be if you are at the palace in April."

He wanted her to say that she wouldn't be there at that time, but she said nothing. He hoped she was actually listening.

"All I can do is promise that no harm will come to you. Not by me or any of my men."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." She said in a low voice.

"Snow, I am offering you my protection!"

"Do you even know what you'd be protecting me from?" She asked.

Why couldn't she just accept it and move on like any normal person?!

"On April 19th a revolt against this country will be launched. My men have orders to kill everyone who works in the palace, for only a loyalist to the crown would serve there. I have never known what your feelings are toward your rulers, but I will forgive whatever they may be. What say you?"

She stared at him for a long time. A chilling breeze blew her dark hair into her face. Above them the leaves rustled like rain. He almost wished she would say no so they could return to the warm inn.

"You don't care what I think? About the royal family? And even if I supported them, you would still let me live only because I am related to Doustan Ranley?" She asked.

"Yes," he said.

She grinned in what seemed to be amusement.

"I AM the granddaughter of Doustan and Mara Ranley. My mother was their daughter," she said. "If you are truely a man of your word as my aunt says, then you must swear to keep me alive. No matter what happens, no matter what you may find out, you must keep me alive."

It was only one day! Sure the revolt would last longer than that, but he'd have her out of the way long before then. She didn't have to make it seem so dramatic.

"You have my word as a man of honor."

"For what?"

"I will make sure you are not killed--"

"Or harmed!"

"--or harmed in any way. I swear it on my father's grave, on Chasilin, and to God."

"From this point on."

"What? Snow this is not--"

"From now until you have left Brovan forever!" She demanded.

"From now until I have left Brovan forever, I will protect Snow White!"

"Don't say Snow White," she said. "Say this woman before me."

He sighed in frustration.
"From now until I have left Brovan forever, I will protect and keep alive this woman before me. I swear it on my honor, my father, Chasilin, and God. Would you like me to throw my sword at your feet?"

"Actually, that would be wonderful."

Muttering to himself he unsheathed his sword. Throwing one's weapon at another's feet was an old tradition. It was like making an unbreakable contract. Usually it was reserved for issues of the utmost importance signifing the seriousness of it. For to break a vow by throwing down one's weapon meant that no matter what it took, with or without a weapon, everything in one's power would be used to fulfill the vow. To break it would forfeit all one's honor, dignity, and respect.


Zander tossed his sword. It landed with a clunk at Snow's feet. She smiled.

"Now you," Zander said.

"What?" Her smile disappeared.

"You must promise me that you won't tell anyone at the palace or in Akinsis or anyone outside of Akinsis who has any kind of power or influence in this country about the rebellion, or anyone who's apart of it."


"But..."

"I think that is only fair."

"Fine. I promise--"

"Swear it on your parents and your very life."

"I swear on my father and my mother and on my very life that I will never reveal the plans or people of the rebellion to anyone in the palace or Akinsis or anyone of power or influence outside of Akinsis." She said relunctantly.

"Since you have no sword, put down something you have of value."

"I have nothing with me," she said with smirk.

A chain around her neck caught his eye.

"Throw down that necklace you always wear," he said.

She clutched the chain as if she would never take it off. But after a moment she slowly removed it.

"Throw it down," Zander ordered.

"But what if it breaks?" She asked.

"Then throw it gently."

Biting her bottom lip, she tossed the necklace at him. It didn't break.

"There," he said, "that wasn't so bad."

Bending down he picked up her necklace. She grabbed his sword. When they went to each other to trade them, he grabbed her free hand with his.

"If you break your promise, I swear I will break mine and kill you myself." He growled.

She looked at him in surprise.

"Th-then th-the same to you," she said trembling, "if you break your promise to me, I will tell all."

"Good. Then we understand each other." He said. Letting go of her hand, he took his sword from her other. She snatched her necklace from his grasp.

"Until tonight," he said leaving her.

Who did she think she was? It really wouldn't be that hard to get one measly servant out of the palace before the revolt. She should have just taken his word for it. One loyal peasant was no threat to him. And her life was certainly not worth sword throwing.

But he had done it and she had left him alone. Which was all he wanted. She was crazy to make him do all that for her. At least he wouldn't have to worry about her until April.

He rounded the last bend and saw the Silver Rose in front of him. Horses and a couple carriages stood in front of it, but the grooms boys and Bertram were no where to be seen. Something was wrong. It was much too quiet for mid-day. Zander slowed his pace. A couple horses pawed at the ground. Silently, he pulled out his sword. He crept toward horses, his gaze taking in all his surroundings. A bird hopped on the grass. The breeze rustled through the trees. Some flies flew around the horses. But those seemed to be the only things alive.

Zander reached one of the carriages. Taking a big gulp, he swiftly opened the door, sword ready to take on whomever might be inside. But no one was inside. He did the same to the next and still found nothing.

A bit perplexed, he walked over to some beautiful horses tied to a low tree branch. Untying two of them, he slapped each one with his hand. They gave a loud whinny and galloped off. Zander spun around expecting someone to come out to investigate. But minutes ticked away and no one came. Was everyone gone? Surely the sound of running hooves would at least bring a grooms boy!

Zander shook his head in confusion. He was missing something, but he didn't know what. The carriages, the horses, all had a seal on them, but it wasn't that of Brovan. He ran his fingers through his head and began to walk to the door. he knew that there was some rich man named Drihagee who lived nearby. Maybe he came and invited everyone over to his manor. He shook his head, dismissing such a dumb idea. Why would Mr. Drihagee leave his carriages behind? With a frustrated sigh, Zander opened the door.

"You'll pay for those horses!" A man yelled as a huge fist rushed toward Zander's face.
© Copyright 2005 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307678-The-Vows