*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307576-The-Market
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307576 added October 22, 2004 at 7:46pm
Restrictions: None
The Market
Marina slowly crept down the main stairwell. She wished to God that her aunt would have allowed her to keep her own shoes. Aunt Jassy thought the only way to make sure no one suspected her of being the princess, was to make her a pauper. Now Marina could only think of how silent her own light, beautiful shoes would be. But instead all she heard was the clunk of the large, heavy, third class boots Aunt Jassy forced her to wear.

Aunt Jassy tried to take everything from her. First, she took away her name and title. Then after ruining the only two dresses she brought with her, she had the audacity to expect her to wear some hand-me-downs Wenda was too fat to fit into. A commoners hand-me-downs! Her stomach twisted as she thought of the coarse wool and linen dresses and skirts she had to wear. But to top all, Aunt Jassy wanted her work. Her, Princess Marina Lynnette Anthea Rose Sophia Abigail Winifred Anne DeLaney, work as if she were some common rift-raft with nothing better to do!

The ninth step creaked. Marina froze. Her ears listened in alarm. Noises came from the dining room, but no one came out. With a soft sigh, Marina carefully lifted her foot and gently placed it on the next step. She would never have sneak around at home. There, no one made her do anything she didn’t want to. But aunt Jassy didn’t understand the privileges that came with rank. Instead, she hounded her forever wanting her to clean something, wash something, pick something up, fetch her own bath water, heat it herself, and carry it up two flights of stairs to her room. She wanted her to mend her clothes when they ripped instead of throwing them away. Aunt Jassy even made her clean her room!

“You won’t get me today!” Marina whispered to herself. Today she wore her own cream colored dress (minus the ribbons and lace Aunt Jassy had torn off). Although it was ugly now, at least it didn’t make her skin itch. She had to wear the heavy boots because her aunt had not only sold her old shoes, but given the money away to some destitute woman with six children! Marina felt a little sad for the poor woman, but there was no reason to sell her shoes away for her.

Finally at the landing, Marina quickly made her way toward the door. Soon she’d be free in the outdoors. Then she’d runoff to the woods and stay there until after nightfall. She’d feast on berries all day and watch the birds and animals. Reaching out her hand, she grabbed the doorknob.

“Snow!”

She froze at the sound of her aunt’s voice. Pretending not to hear her, she twisted the handle and opened the door.

“Snow!” A hand grabbed her shoulder, holding her back from freedom. “Snow, there is an errand I need you run.”

Aunt Jassy pulled her back into the hallway.

“I need you to go to the market.”

Marina groaned. Aunt Jassy moved to stand between her the door.

“I’ve made a list of a few items I need for tonight,” Aunt Jassy said, thrusting a piece of paper in Marina’s hand.

“But Aunt Jassy, I was going to…”

“All I want you to do is one thing, one tiny thing, Snow. You hardly do anything as it is and I have to force you to what little you actually do.” Oh great. Not this speech again. “We are a family, Snow. And families work together. It’s not fair for one person to do nothing while everyone else works hard to make ends meat. You need to step up to your responsibilities. How old are you anyway? 18? 19?”

“20.” Marina grumbled.

“20!” Aunt Jassy exclaimed as if she’d never heard of that number before. “Most girls your age are married with children doing 100 times the amount of work I expect from you.”

“I’m not married, Aunt Jassy and I never intend to be! So I don’t see how you can compare me to some pregnant wife.”

“Oh please, young lady. Wenda isn’t married either, but she works hard.”

“The only reason she not married is because she’s a fat, ugly swine,” Marina said laughing.

“Wenda is not fat or ugly. Now, you mind your tongue you little snot.”

“Humph!” Marina lifted her chin in the air.

“I need those items as soon as possible.”

“Fine!” Marina said, moving toward the door again. As soon as she was out of sight, she’d pay some little child to get them for her. Then she’d go off to the woods and bring the things late in the night.

“Oh thank you, Zander,” Aunt Jassy said behind her.

Zander! That vile murderer! Marina felt anger rise through her being.

“Wait just minute, young lady!” Aunt Jassy gave her a large basket. “There’s enough money in here for those items.” Aunt Jassy pulled a purse out of the basket and tied it around her waist. “I expect you to bring my change back.”

“Alright, I will,” Marina said moving out the door again. She couldn't stand being in the room with him.


“And to make sure you don’t dilly-dally, I’m having Zander accompany you.”

“What?!” Marina exclaimed. “You don’t think I can make it to the market and back on my own?”

“Honestly Snow, I don’t,” Aunt Jassy said. “Unlike someone, Zander is a man of his word. I need these things for tonight and I can’t have you going off on one of your schemes.”

“Why don’t you ask Wenda, then?” Marina whined. “I’m sure she’d kill to go anywhere alone with her lover!”

Zander turned red at the word “lover” and Marina smiled in cruel satisfaction.

“Wenda couldn’t possible go. Now hurry up!” Aunt Jassy pushed Marina out the door. Zander followed. Aunt Jassy walked them to the gate.

“Snow, you may want pick up a gift while you’re there,” Aunt Jassy said.

“What for?” Marina grumbled.

“Today’s Wenda’s 18th birthday. We’ll be celebrating tonight and it would be nice if you had a gift for her.”

“Is this what you need this stuff for?!” Marina exclaimed.

Aunt Jassy smiled, “Thank you, dear.”

“I’m not going to do something for Wenda! And i refuse to go anywhere with him!” Marina walked back toward the gate. Zander grabbed her arm and pulled her in the direction of the market.

“Bye! Hurry back!” Aunt Jassy shouted after them.

The last person in the entire world she wanted to be with was Zander. It was like being in the company of death--only he didn't know it. She tried to calm herself down. Afterall, Zander had no idea who she was. Her grandfather, Zander adn the people of this wretched town talked about killing her and her family like it would be Christmas day. If they ever found out a DeLaney had been among them all this time, they'd probably keel over and die in abhorrance. Marina chuckled at this thought.

"What's so funny?" Zander asked.

"Nothing," Marina said.

If only she could run away from him. But the sword by his side kept her walking with him. She didn't think he would actually use it on her, but he was very hard to figure out and she wouldn't risk her neck to test him. Besides, he wanted to kill to her.

"He doesn't know who I am, she reminded herself. I must be as normal as possible so he doesn't figure it out. Then I'll be safe".

Zander loudly cleared his throat.

"What are we getting?" he asked.

"Hmmm?... oh, right, the list." Marina had crumbled the paper in her hand. Stopping, she uncrumbled it and tried to smooth it against her leg. Flating it the best she could, she handed it over to Zander and continued walking.

Voices yelled, dogs yelped, and people zipped by as they entered the center of the town. The smell of food, smoke, animals, burning wood, hay, filth, and a number of other things filled the air. It reminded her of Akinsis and she quickly fell in step with the bustle of the citizens. Looking to the side, she suddenly realized Zander wasn't with her.

"I ought to get lost in the crowd," she said to herself. Then she realized that he still had the list. She would have left anyway, but Aunt Jassy had said that she didn't trust her. Marina wouldn't have her aunt trusting a murderer over her own flesh and blood.

Forcing herself to backtrack her steps, Marina soon found Zander standing in the middle of the road staring at the list.

"What are you doing?" Marina asked, looking at his confused face.

Startled, Zander stuttered, "I was... um...just..."

"What's the first thing on it?" Marina asked.

Zander slowly looked back at the list. His lips silently moved.

"Read out loud," Marina said impatiently.

"Maybe you should do it," he said handing the list to her.

"Can't you read?!" Marina huffed. She snatched the paper out of his hand. Looking up to scowl at him, she saw that his face was flushed. Confused she looked at the list. "Pink ribbon, lemons, walnuts, pick up necklace at jewelers..." it was written in Brovanian. Then what was the problem? Maybe he really couldn't read. That was strange because she had assumed he could. But that was stupid, one can't tell if someone can read or not just be looking at them. They began to slowly walk.

"I thought you could read," Marina said. "You just have this... I don't know, you seemed like someone who could. I, um--" Not knowing what else to say, she fell silent.

"It's alright," Zander said, "I just haven't--"

"Zander! Snow!"

Marina jumped as someone yelled her name in her ear. Turning around, she saw Michah laughing at her fright.

"Klemt! Klemt Michah! Hu unent mic nohah!" Zander shouted.

Michah laughed harder.

"Klemt! Klemt! Blah du hub blah!"Michah mocked. "What the heck does that mean?"

"It means 'Damn! Damnit, Michah! You scared me almost to death!" Marina said.

"Do you know Maufrin?" Zander asked her.

"Did you say 'damn'?" Macham asked her.

"Yes. I speak Maufrin," Marina said.

"Where did you learn?" Zander asked.

"At school. We had to learn all the languages of the surrouding countries that didn't speak Brovanian. Since Maufrin is spoken in several countries, it was one of the first I ever learned." She said in Maufrin.

"Did I really hear you say 'damn'?" Michah asked again.

"Haven't you ever heard a girl say damn before?!" Marina yelled annoyed by his question.

"Not by someone who trys to be a lady." Michah said.

"Trys! I'll have you know--" she began, but Michah was already laughing so she gave it up.

"I hope I wasn't that annoying when I was 15," Zander said watching Michah.

Marina nodded her head in agreement. Suddenly, a thought struck her.

"Zander, if Maufrin is your native tongue," she said. "I'll bet you can read Maufrin, but not Brovanian."

Zander nodded. They began to walk to the market.

"I learned to speak Brovanian when... well, when I was a little younger than Michah," he said. "But I never tried to read it until a few months ago. Rosemarie has been giving me lessons on reading and writing. But it's a lot different from Maufrin and Rosemarie only knows so much. She learned it by chance and is no where near mastering Brovanian."

Marina often saw the Chasilian men, but not the woman. And when she did see her, Rosemarie rarely spoke more than two words.


"Hey!" Michah yelled, catching up with them. "You didn't think you'd get rid of me that easily, did you?"

"Apparently not," Marina muttered. Then turning to Zander, "Does Rosemarie teach the others? I mean the other Chasilians?" What was she doing?! She shouldn't care two cents about a murderer's friends


"Yes," he said. "Why?"

Since she could understand them, maybe she could spy on them. Then she'd know exactly what they were planning. And maybe she could stop them.

Out loud she said,
"I only wondered. It's much easier to learn than to teach. You are lucky to have such a good teacher." Her nanny, Tara, used to tell her that when she complained about her tutors. It had always sounded stupid than and it did now too.

They stopped at a nut stand to get the walnuts Aunt Jassy wanted.

"Do you like Rosemarie?" Zander asked her.

"What?" Marina asked.

"Would you want to be friends with her?"

She'd only been making conversation. She didn't actually want to be friends with any of the Chasilians.

"I suppose," she said slowly as she paid for the walnuts. "But I don't really know her."

"I will formally introduce the two of you at supper tonight," Zander said.

"That's not necessary."

"I would like to. I think you two could become good friends."

"You do?"






Zander's blue eyes twinkled and he nodded. Suddenly, Marina felt very awkward under Zander's gaze. She didn't think she needed a friend. She fine by herself. But--

"Very well then. We'd better get the rest of this stuff," Marina said moving on to the next vendor.

An hour later, they walked into the jewelers (which was also a perfumery, clock shop, and other trinkets shop). The last item on the list was the necklace.

"May I help you?" A skinny old man asked.

"We need to pick up a necklace," Marina said.

"Name?" The man asked.

"DeL--uh, Ranley..." That was close. She almost gave him her real last name.

The man nodded and walked into a back room.

"Wow! Look at all these!" Michah exclaimed, staring at the displays of jewelry. "If I could get Christa something she'd go to the Harvest Festival with me for sure!"

Marina looked over his shoulder at the bracelets and rings. They were nothing to get excited about. She saw the best pieces of jewels the world had to offer everday. Or at least she did when she was at home.

"Snow," Michah said, "have you ever seen so many beautiful pieces of jewelry?"

"I've seen a trash bin full of better looking things than these," Marina said.

"Oh. You mean at the palace?" Michah asked.

Marina wasn't prone to fainting, but the sudden wave of shock almost sent her reeling to the floor.

"How-- wha.." her words stumbled over themselves, "I-- I... uh, the palace?"

"Yes," Michah said, "you know, the palace in Akinsis. Where the royal family lives?"

"I-- I know the r-royal family lives there..." She stuttered. "Why would I be there?"

"I thought you worked there," Michah said.

"What? Where'd you get a silly idea like that from?"

"Mama said you were a servant at the palace, for the princess. It's not true?"

Aunt Jassy! Would that woman ever stop making up her past for her? Out loud she laughed.

"Oh.... " she gave a fake giggle hoping to feign one of those dumb fainting girls, "THAT palace! I thought you meant the other one. You know... the old one in Caiann. "

"You mean the one that no one's lived in for 700 years?" Michah asked.

"That's the one! Yeah, those two palaces... that can confusing sometimes."

"Right..." Michah said, giving her a strange look.

A smile frozen to her face, Marina turned to look out the large display window. She watched children playing a game outside while she tried to slow her breathing down. So her aunt had reduced her to a servant! She could have at least consultanted her before giving her a job. Of course pretending to be a servant in the palace for, well, herself, would cover any slip of tongue she might have. Still, she wanted to be mad at Aunt Jassy. Why couldn't she have thought up something as clever?

The children ran out of the street. Everyone outside quickly made their way to the sides of the road. The sharp clop of wheels and hooves swiftly moving on hard stone was coming toward them. Soon the brown horses galloped by pulling a black carriage behind. She was barely able to make out the cresent on the carriage door. Her heart leapt to her throat as she realized that the cresent was that of the Brayton family. She didn't know who was in that carriage, but she knew that Lord Hagrey Drayton's wife was her own cousin Autumn.

The morning before Marina ranaway, she sent Autumn a letter telling her why she was leavign and where she would go. Autumn was her only true friend and she was the only person who knew where she was.

It must be Autumn! She must be coming for a visit! Marina ran from the window to the door the store owner had went through. Swinging the door open, she yelled,

"Haven't you got it yet?!"

"I was just polishing it up bit!" The man snapped coming to the door.

"There's no time for that! " Marina took the purse out. "Besides, she won't know the difference."

The jeweler walked over to the counter and placed the necklace in a box. Marina followed him as she tried to dump some coins out into her hand. Stumbling on an uneven board she watched the coins fly all over the floor.

Groaning, she got on her hands and knees and began picking them. She heard the sound of more horses and another carriage rumble by. But she was picking up coins from behind the counter and couldn't see who it was. Maybe it was Autumn's luggage. It was probably her servants. Or it could be the children. The children! Marina hadn't seen them in two years and Autumn had had a third since.

Coins spilled back onto the floor as she hurried placed them in her shaking palm.

"Are you ill, child?" The jeweler asked.

"Quite so!" Marina laughed looking up at him.

She turned back to the floor to pick up the coins again, but they were gone.

"Where did--" she began. Someone grabbed her hand. Zander put the coins in her open palm.

"Try not to drop them this time," he said.

Marina giggled excitedly. In her mind she immediately regretted it. Zander was the last man she wanted to smile at. He deserved glares for what he wanted to do. But her excitement for her cousin made it impossible not to smile, even towards those who didn't deserve it.

Carefully, she placed the coins on the counter and let the jeweler count out the owed amount himself. As soon as he was finished she grabbed the box and change and threw them into the basket.

"I must hurry!" She said racing for the door. "Uh, Aunt Jassy will be wondering where I am!"

She hurried down the street forcing Zander to run in order to catch up with her.

"I can hardly wait to see Autumn!" She said to herself as she ran down the street.
© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307576-The-Market