*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314116-Sweetie-Pie
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #900118
These are the moments of my life... ever precious, ever random...
#314116 added November 13, 2004 at 1:51pm
Restrictions: None
Sweetie Pie
The last time I saw my father's father, was this summer. I hadn't seen any of my grandparents in years because all four of them live in Indiana and we moved to Texas eight years ago. I am so blessed to have all four biological grandparents alive today. Some people never got to meet any of their grandparents.

Everyone calls my paternal grandfather Sweetie Pie. He's really funny and he always likes to tease and make fun of people. The last time I saw him was the second time I've ever seen him cry. He was so sad to see us go.

Sweetie Pie has given me only two commands, two things he wants me to do in my life. The first he told on the night after I graduated from high school. He took me by the hand and told me to
"become something great".

He said, "Become something great. I know you can be a great somebody. I can see it in you." Then he said, "I may not be here to see it happen... but I'll be watching you."

Yes, I cried. He looked like he was about to, but he didn't.

After that, I didn't see Sweetie Pie until this summer. Which is about three years from then. I went with one of my sisters and I know we didn't spend nearly as much time with him and Mom (my grandmother) as we did with my other grandparents. And Sweetie Pie knew it and said so. And I don't know the last time I've felt so terrible. But I tried to make it up by spending most of my time at their house with them (which was something I hadn't done at my other grandparents). My greatest wish right now is to see all of them again and do right by them this time. I'd divide my time equally between them and spend quality time with all four of them. I know they won't be here forever (no matter how much I've prayed that they would). And I don't want to regret the time I had with them when their gone.
Hold on... i cant write. i gotta cry for a moment......


I'm sorry. I went off on something.... I meant to tell you the second thing Sweetie Pie told me. This summer, when we were leaving Indiana, it was all tears and cracked voices.

Sweetie Pie hugged me. And he told me that "you only need to do two things in life. Love God and follow the golden rule. Treat others like you want them to treat you. Respect everyone. But everyone's not going to respect you. People will treat you bad, but you got to respect them and treat them good anyway. And as long as you love God and serve him, he will take care of you."

We both cried this time.

Sweetie Pie turned 85 this July. He and Mom have been married for 60-something years.

I want to thank God for giving me the blessing of having my wonderful grandparents here with me for all my 22 years of life.

Ok, I think I'm gonna cry again. So good bye.

© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314116-Sweetie-Pie