*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317327-Chapter-Nine
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #915981
A small town is turned upside down when a handsome young man comes looking for his friend.
#317327 added October 19, 2006 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Nine
Mandy decided to work her shift since Lone Wolfe was being true to his name and had decided to go it alone. During the entire day she jumped every time the phone rang. She was anxious to find out what Lone Wolfe had found in his search. She was sure that if he had found Mark she would have heard either from Lone Wolfe or from Paul. Did he find something that could help them? Did he find Mark? Was he alive? Surely one of them would have called. The suspense of not knowing was driving her crazy.

It was nearly six o’clock, the end of her shift, when her phone finally rang. She nearly jumped out of her seat. She took a deep breath and picked up the receiver and answered,
“Hickup Falls Sheriff’s Department, Deputy Mandy Blake speaking.” It was Lone Wolfe. He was calling to let her know that he had found some things up there and it wasn’t looking good for Mark. He wanted to meet with her and Paul about eight o’clock. Mandy told him that was fine and she would call Paul and let him know. She hung up and then dialed the B & B’s number.

Paul had decided to spend the day going through Mark’s things hoping to find something that might tell them what Mark’s plans had been. Search as he might he wasn’t able to find notes or reminders of any kind. He went over his conversation with Mark that second night he was here. Did Mark say anything that could serve as a clue? He couldn’t think of anything.

He thought of calling Mandy several times to ask if she’d heard from Lone Wolfe. Then he decided that would look foolish. She would have called him if she had heard anything. Besides he didn’t want to disturb her at work, she had other things to do. Just then Sarah knocked on his door to say that Mandy was on phone for him. He didn’t want to look too anxious, but somehow he didn’t pull it off too well. Sarah noticed his excitement and hoped it was because of Mandy and not just because it might be news about his friend.

Paul reached for the phone and picked up the receiver. “Hi Mandy.”

“Hi Paul” she replied. “How are you holding up?”

“Okay, I guess. I’ve been going over Mark’s things hoping to find something that could help. So far, nothing.”

“That’s okay Paul, Lone Wolfe didn’t find Mark but said he found some things that may help us. He wants to meet with us at his place about eight o’clock. I’ll be getting off soon. I’m going to go home and change then I’ll stop by and pick you up.”

“Okay, see you soon” he said and hung up. Back in his room, Paul wondered what Lone Wolfe had found. Mandy didn’t say what it was. He hoped that it was something that would help lead them to Mark.

Mandy finished her shift and left the office and drove home to change. She slipped into a pair of jeans and a sweater. She removed her uniform shoes and replaced them with a pair of soft moccasins. She then left to pick up Paul on her way to Lone Wolfe’s.
When she arrived at the B & B she went inside to say hi to her mother and let Paul know she was there. Mandy found her mother in the kitchen cleaning up after the dinner meal. She walked over and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek. “Hi mom.”

“My! Aren’t we cheerful today!” said Sarah.

“Why not, the rain has finally stopped and the sun has come out. Even the temperature is closer to normal for this time of year. I’d be even more cheerful if we would find Mark.”

“I understand, it has to be hard on Paul as well. He’s been up in that room all day. He came down once for lunch. Now are you sure your cheerfulness is just because of the weather and doesn’t have anything to do with a certain young man?”

“Mom! You never quit do you? There is nothing between Paul and me. He’s a very nice man but he is here to find his friend and I’m simply helping him. So stop already, will you?”

“Okay, but don’t say I didn’t tell you. There is something brewing between you two, a mother can sense these things.”

Mandy hugged her mother and laughed. “That’s why I love you Mom, you never give up. Let me go see if Paul is ready. I’ll talk to you later. Love you.” She left her mother in the kitchen and went up to Paul’s room. She knocked on the door and she heard him ask, “Who is it?”

“It’s me, Mandy, I came to pick you up to go to Lone Wolfe’s. Are you ready?”

He opened the door and his eyes lit up like a candle when he saw her. “Hi” he said. “I’m ready, let’s go.”

Once in the car, Paul asked, “What do you suppose Lone Wolfe found up there?”

“I don’t know, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up” she replied.

“I know; I just can’t help wondering where Mark is. This has never happened before, where he disappeared for days without contacting either Vickie or myself. I know something serious has happened to him.”

When they arrived at Lone Wolfe’s house they found him waiting for them on the porch. He invited them inside and offered them something to drink. Once again they found themselves at the kitchen table. Mandy being anxious, asked, “Okay Lone Wolfe, what have you found?”

“Before we go into that, I need to ask Paul if he remembered anything that Mark might have said or if he found anything in his room that might tell us what his plans had been. Paul?”

Paul looked at both of them and said, “I went over the conversation we had the second night he was here, but all he said was that he was returning to the mountain the following day to start taking samples. He agreed to call me the following night with a progress report. That was the last time I heard from him. I also checked his room for any information he may have left to suggest a change plans. I drew a blank there as well.”

“Paul, do you know what’s on Mark’s license plate?”

“Sure it’s a vanity plate. It has Vickie’s and Mark’s initials, VAS - MAS”, replied Paul. “Did you find his vehicle?”

Now it was Mandy’s turn to ask, “What’s all this about Lone Wolfe, what did you find?”

Lone Wolfe began telling them what he found and his run-in with Steve, one of Gill’s boys. When he finished Mandy and Paul just stared at him in disbelief, trying to comprehend what he had just relayed to them. They weren’t ready to face what his findings could mean.

Mandy was the first to speak. “I don’t like the way things are shaping up. Do you think there’s a chance we can still find Mark alive? He’s been missing now for almost six days.”

Lone Wolfe looked at Paul as he replied, “There’s always a chance, but at this moment, it
doesn’t look encouraging. Of course I’m not giving up. I’m going to do all I can possibly do to find your friend Paul. However, Mandy, I think its time to make this an official missing person case.”

“I agree, it’s been too long, we have to find him and to do that we will need a complete search team.

Well it’s obvious we can’t do much more here and I’m hungry so why don’t we go to Gabbie’s Bar and Grill for some dinner?”

“I second that emotion” said Paul.

“Sounds like a good idea, we might be able to pick up some information. Some people have big mouths when they drink. You never know what they might let slip, we might get lucky” said Lone Wolfe.

© Copyright 2006 Jazelle Vornet (UN: jazellevn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jazelle Vornet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317327-Chapter-Nine