*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317350-Chapter-Twenty-One
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #915981
A small town is turned upside down when a handsome young man comes looking for his friend.
#317350 added October 19, 2006 at 3:54pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Twenty-One
The following morning they woke up to a beautiful sunny day. Mandy felt like everything was right with the world. She couldn’t remember when she had last felt that happy. Paul was still asleep so she leaned over and kissed him lightly on the cheek. She got up and went into the shower. When she walked back into the bedroom Paul was awake and was looking at a poem she had hanging on the wall. “That’s a nice poem”, he said. He then read it aloud.

An angel
Made by the Master’s hand
And anyone can see
None, before her can stand
Daring, bold and sweet
An angel, in the Master’s Hand

It definitely describes you. Who wrote it?”

“My father did, for my fifth birthday. He told me that I was a very determined little girl and would always do whatever I put my mind to. No matter what anyone said. But, I would always be his little angel.”

“That’s really a beautiful poem.”

She walked over to the bed, bent down and gave him a kiss. “That’s for last night. Now I’ve got to get dressed and get to work.” She pulled a clean uniform from the closet and
began getting dressed. “Are you going to the hospital today?”

“Why? What do you have in mind?” he asked teasingly.

“I have some things I need to do for Jeff today, so I’m going to be pretty busy.”
“Well actually, I was thinking of going up to the mountain and do some soil testing since Mark never got to do it.”

“Paul I wish you wouldn’t go up there alone until we find out what’s going on or until we catch the person or persons responsible for hurting Mark. As a matter of fact, Jeff is going to have the local police send someone to guard Mark while he’s in the hospital. Whoever tried to kill him the first time might try to finish the job. So please, stay off that mountain for the time being I’m sure your clients will understand. Please Paul; promise me you won’t go up there.”

“Okay, I promise. Since I can’t do any work, I guess I will go to the hospital with Vickie.”

“Thanks, at least I won’t have to worry about you”, she said.

Mandy went into the kitchen and made breakfast while Paul rolled out of bed. She heard him heading for the bathroom and called out. “There are clean towels in the cabinet next to the bathroom, help yourself.”

“Thanks!” he called back. Paul showered and got dressed then joined Mandy in the kitchen. She had made a quick breakfast, which they sat down to. Mandy poured Paul a cup of coffee and then refreshed her own.

After breakfast, Mandy dropped Paul off at the Bed & Breakfast and went on to work.
Upon arriving at the office she went directly to her desk and began typing the report she had promised Jeff she’d have for him first thing that morning. She finished her report and placed it in the Sheriff’s report tray.

Mandy and Jeff decided it was time they paid Gill an official visit. They left for the mountain in Jeff’s 4X4. The logging camp consisted of several buildings; a mobile module that served as Gill’s office and bunk house; a log cabin that served as the canteen and small supply store. Finally a long building built of logs that served as the sleeping bunkhouse for those choosing to stay on the mountain while working.

Mandy and Jeff reached the camp just about ten thirty. He pulled right up to the mobile module that served as Gill’s office. Just as they were getting out of the 4X4, Gill appeared at the door.

“Well, well, to what do I owe this honor?” he asked.

“Hi Gill.” replied Jeff. We came to tell you about a guy we found up here the other night. Also we’d like to ask you some questions. He’s in pretty bad shape. The first thing he told us when he first regained consciousness was that someone pushed him over the side of Wild Cat Ridge. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that would you?” They waited to see his reaction. His face suddenly turned a ghostly white. They knew immediately that Jeff had struck a nerve. Finally he continued. “We we’re hoping he will eventually be able to give us more information about what happened.”

“You mean he hasn’t been able to give you anymore information other than that someone pushed him over the ridge?”

“Nope, as a matter of fact, I think he may never be able to tell us anything more. That’s why we need your help.”

“Is that a fact?” said Gill looking more comfortable and the color starting to return to his face. Mandy knew he had taken the bait. “How can I possibly be of any help to you?”

“We were wondering if you or any of your guys could shed some light on what happened. We’d sure like to know what happened to that poor guy”, said Mandy.
Mandy was glad she had listened to her instincts on keeping Mark’s disappearance quiet and his connection with Paul.

Gill answered her without batting an eye and sounding quite sincere, “I didn’t see or hear nothin’ and I’m sure if one of my men had heard or seen something they would have reported it to me. He might have run into some poachers. We’ve been having trouble with them up here lately. Or, maybe he was one of the poachers and he and his partner got into an argument and it got ugly. You both know how bad things can happen up here.”

Mandy noticed that Gill was wearing a red and black jacket. Just like the one Mark had described. His boots also matched Mark’s description; she wondered what size they were. She figured they were probably about a size 11. She was sure that Gill was the Paul Bunyon looking guy Mark had described. He was the right height. But without a definite identification from Mark it would probably be hard to prove. “Thanks’ she said. Jeff thanked him for his cooperation and said goodbye and reminded him to call the station if he or any of his men remembered anything.

Once in the car Jeff suggested they take a drive through some of the other roads to see what they could spot. They finally turned onto a road that used to be the old logging road leading down the mountain. A road that was no longer in use. Everyone now used the new road that was safer and shorter. Mandy spotted a vehicle about ten yards in front of them. She pointed it out to Jeff. As they got closer they could see that it was a truck that had gone off the road. They came up to the truck and Mandy realized that it was Mark’s truck and it looked like someone deliberately drove it into the ditch as though they were trying to hide it. She knew Mark didn’t drive it there so who did and why? Jeff radioed for a tow truck to come and tow it back to town.

© Copyright 2006 Jazelle Vornet (UN: jazellevn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jazelle Vornet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317350-Chapter-Twenty-One