*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/318049-Roberts-life
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #912643
The storm clouds are piling high.
#318049 added December 14, 2004 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Robert's life
The chaplain for hospice visited today, and Robert started talking about Bob coming home and how much his children mean to him.

Robert, nor I, ever had a favorite child (or grandchild, etc.). They were all favorites and still are.

When our children were growing up, we didn't have much. Robert worked long, hard hours, but he never seemed to be accepted for that "good-paying" job. Most perspective employers took one look at his hand and found a reson not to hire him. However, what we had we used to provide a home for our children. Rene went to band camp and had piano lessons. Bob and Randy played baseball and football. We traveled with them to concerts and ball games.

Robert's brother thought we were so irresponsible. He told Robert, "You need to invest your money into something that will pay off someday."

Robert replied, "I am. I'm investing in the most important things in my life, my children."

When the kids were at home, or when they came home to visit once they went to college, for one of them to come to our room after we retired for the night and to sit on the foot of the bed and talk for hours was common. They knew we loved them and were interested in them and their lives, thoughts, ideas.

I sat and listened as Robert shared his memories of those times with Mary, the chaplain, after she asked if he were looking forward to almost everyone being here. Yes, he is excited and ready for our family being together. The only disappointment is that everyone can't be here.

This man loves and takes pride in his children. He says he made a wise investment.

© Copyright 2004 Vivian (UN: vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Vivian has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/318049-Roberts-life