*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326227-Forward
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#326227 added February 3, 2005 at 3:34pm
Restrictions: None
Forward
FORWARD
“Alfred T. Neble! How many times do I have to tell you no bat wings in the cellar?” Yells Hulda as she stomps up the steps.

“I’m sorry, dear,” Alfred looks at his shoes. “I was going to put them away before you found them.”

Hulda charges down the hallway, everything shakes. “For a wizard you are forgetful, what would happen if you forgot a spell?”

“I am not forgetful!”

“Are too!”

Alfred stomps his foot. “I am not forgetful, I’m working on a new spell.”

“Just look a this mess,” Hulda points at all the books and papers lying around the sitting room. “You promised me months ago that you would clean up this mess. I could have tripped and broke my neck. How did you get so much junk?”

“It is not junk. I know I need to put it away. I promise I’ll take care of it as soon as the spell is done.” Alfred crosses his fingers behind his back.

“Oh Alfred,” Hulda dumps the books off the chair and thumps down with a big sigh. “I know you better than that. You’ll finish this one and then there will be the next one and then the next one. I’ve had enough; I can’t take it anymore.” She pauses and rubs a hand over her face. “Tomorrow go down to the market place and find yourself an apprentice. He can begin his training by learning where all this stuff goes.”

“Stop right there! There is no way I’m going to just pick some kid off the street. I am Alfred T Neble the Great Wizard. I can’t put up a sign that says ‘Apprentice Wanted’.” Alfred puffs out his chest and pokes it with his finger. “I can’t have just anyone, MY apprentice must come from the School for Wizards.”

“Poppycock,” Hulda stands and puts her hand on her hip. “I’m not falling for the ‘I’m the greatest wizard.’ A lad from the market place will be fine. You’re going first thing tomorrow and you are not coming home until you find help!”

“But Hulda” whines Alfred.

“No buts, I’m tired of this mess.”

“You can’t just take anyone and teach them magic. The lad will need to be tested to make sure he has magical ability and.”

Hulda interrupts. “No more whining, tomorrow you find a lad that will clean up this mess. If you don’t, I’ll start throwing things into the fireplace.” Hulda turns to leave, trips over the books she dumped on the floor and lands on the floor.

Alfred hurries to help her up and take one look at her face. “Alright, I’ll go to the market place tomorrow, there’s a few things I need to pick up anyway.”

“Good Morning,” Hulda greets Alfred as he comes into the kitchen rubbing sleep from his eyes. “Would you like me to pack you a lunch for today?”

“What for?” Alfred scratches his head as he looks for a cup.

“Nice try, acting senile. Its market place day.” Hulda pours some tea into his cup.

“Oh that, I didn’t forget. I need to put it off till next week. My spell is at a point I need to stay and work on it today.” Alfred takes a quick drink of his tea.

Hulda grabs the cup away from Alfred and pushes him towards the door. “Get out! You’re getting that apprentice today, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Get going and take that annoying bird with you, I want some peace and quiet today.”

“But I want an apprentice from the School of Wizards.” Whines Alfred.

“It’s bad enough having one person with an ego around here. I am not dealing with another.” Hulda pushes him out the door.

“But Hulda,” whines Alfred.

“Get going you’re the one who said I can’t
post a help wanted sign.” Hulda is laughing as she closes the door behind Alfred.

“Come on Impi,” Alfred waits while his parakeet makes herself comfortable on his shoulder. “Lets get this over with.”

“We’re going to town, we’re going to town.” Squawks Impi as they head for the stable.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326227-Forward