*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326228-Chapter-One
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
#326228 added February 3, 2005 at 3:36pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter One
CHAPTER ONE

“Whew, it is hot!” I take my hat off and wipe my brow. Sweat is dripping down my forehead; I use my sleeve to wipe it off. Right now I’d give anything for a cold glass of milk. To bad I don’t have any money to buy some. I’ve tried picking pockets but so far I haven’t had any luck. So for breakfast this morning I went through the garbage.

I don’t need to check the sun position to know that it is almost lunchtime. My stomach is making enough noise to alert everyone in the market place. There wasn’t much in the garbage, so if I want lunch I’d better find a good pocket to pick.

I put my hat back on and notice a man in a long gray cloak. It is so hot out why would anyone be in a cloak? The heat must be getting to him; he’s talking to a bird with a bright red chest that is perched on his shoulder. That’s perfect. He isn’t paying attention to anything around him and he appears to be a little nutty so if he does catch me no one will believe him.

I follow him; a nagging voice in the back of my head warns that he could be a wizard. Nah, wizards always travel with apprentices to take care of them. Just because they know magic they think they are so special and heaven forbid they do anything for themselves. This guy is just crazy, he’s wearing a hot cloak and talking to a bird, no wizard here he’s just a senile old man. All I have to do is wait for my chance, grab his money and lunch here I come.

“How many times have I said no bat wings in the cellar?” the man says wagging his finger.

“Never, ever, never ever.” The parakeet squawks.

“I deserve to have a real apprentice, one already trained in magic. Don’t you think so Impi?” the man asks his parakeet.

“Yes Great wizard, yes great wizard.”

Great wizard my foot. This guy has been in the sun way to long. He’s running into people, talking to his bird, he has no idea what is going on around him. The smell of fresh bread is strong, my stomach growls and my mouth begins to water. All I have to do is bump into him and walk away with his coin purse and that fresh bread is all mine.

I weave my way through the crowd to get ahead of him.

“Impi wants cheese, Impi wants cheese.” The bird repeats.

“You want cheese? Its lunchtime already? My, where has the time gone? Let’s go and get some cherry pie.” The man makes his way to a stall that has just set out some pies.

I follow him and wait till he has paid for his pie then I’ll grab his money. That way I’ll have time to get away before he notices. I rub my hands together; what a plan, I can’t believe how easy this is going to be.

“Hi Alfred!” exclaims the baker, “What brings you to the market today?”

“Hi yourself, Millard!” the man mutters as he looks over the pies. “Hulda says I need to find myself a lad to clean up after me. She’s tired of finding my things all over the place.”

“Why don’t you go to the School of Wizards and find yourself a proper apprentice?” asks the baker as he hands Alfred a pie.

“Hulda says she is not going to pay good money to a lad who thinks he knows everything.” Alfred pays for his pie and tucks his money pouch away.

That’s my signal. I reach for his pouch. I get my first few fingers around it when a tingle races up my hand.

“What the...” I try to pull my hand away but I can’t move. Just my luck, he is a wizard and I’m caught stealing his money. I’m in trouble now.

“Ho! Ho! It looks like you caught yourself a thief.” Millard moves his pies back farther.

“What do you have to say for yourself lad?” growls Alfred.

“I’m sorry sir,” I start to cry, “I am so hungry, I didn’t think you’d notice a few coins missing.” My stomach growls loudly.

“Would you like me to call the city guard?” ask Millard.

“No thanks,” Alfred waves him away. “I’ll handle this myself.”

I’m so scared I’d be shaking in my boots if I could move a muscle. “Please let me go. I promise I’ll never take your money pouch again.”

“I’m not going to just let you go.” The Wizard shakes his head. “A young lad like yourself must learn that you are responsible for your actions and that all actions have consequences.”

“But,” I sputter, “I’m not a.”

“You also need to learn not to interrupt your Elders when they are speaking.” He mutters under his breath and touches my forehead, the tingle feeling races up my arms and I’m able to move again. “You’ll have to do, you’re coming back to the house to work off your debt.”

“What debt? I didn’t get anything.” I remind him. Shut up Theo! Are you trying to get a wizard mad at you? Use your brain and keep your mouth shut or you’ll end up frozen again. I chide myself.

“Not only do you need to be taught manners, you owe me the money that you would have stolen if magic hadn’t stopped you. Let’s see, that is the amount of money in my pouch plus the cost of your lunch.”

“Yes sir!” I know that look; there is no sense in arguing.

“Impi wants cheese, cheese please.” Shrieks the bird.

Alfred reaches up and pets the birds
brilliant green head, “All you think about is food. Let’s go and get you and” he turns to me, “what’s your name?”

“Theo, sir.”

“Let’s go and get you and Theo some lunch.” Alfred sighs. “After lunch we’ll go and face Hulda. I’m sure she’ll have a nice list ready.”

“Lots of work, lots of work,” squawks Impi as we go to find some lunch.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326228-Chapter-One