*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326229-Chapter-Two
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
#326229 added February 3, 2005 at 3:38pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
CHAPTER TWO

My poor aching butt. It feels like I’ve been riding behind Alfred forever. “How much longer?” I ask when really I’m thinking “Why are we riding, I thought wizards knew how to fly or disappear and reappear where they want to. If I were a wizard I’d find a way to shut up that bird, it hasn’t stopped since we left the market place.

“Impi, will you please shut up?” I ask as I clamp my hand over my ears.

“Impi going home, going home.” Impi repeats over and over again.

Alfred strokes along Impi’s bright blue wings. “Yep, we are on our way home.”

I take my hands off my ears; nothing blocks out that noise. “Is she going to sing the whole way home?”

“Only time Hulda will let her.” Alfred replies.

I wish I had a sling shot, there is no way I’d miss that bright red chest. “How much farther?”

“Stop your whining, it’s a beautiful day out. Enjoy the ride.” Growls Alfred.

Enjoy the ride? Alfred is wandering all over the road. First he wanders over to the left and gets down and picks some flowers. Then he wanders to the right and watches a family of rabbits playing in the grass. A little farther on we stop and watch a butterfly going from flower to flower looping this way and that. All the time the sun is moving lower and lower in the sky. I let out a big sigh and shift to ease my aching butt.

“That’s the trouble with the world today. Nobody takes the time to smell the flowers or watch a butterfly play. They want everything this instant and think magic can do it for them.” Mumbles Alfred.

I don’t have a clue what he is talking about. But he doesn’t give me a chance to ask.

“Just look at that beautiful green grass and the rainbow of color in the flowers. Can you feel the warm sunshine beaming down?” He takes a deep breath. “Smell the clean air.”

I take a deep whiff but all I smell is garbage. When is this nightmare going to be over? I’m about to ask if we are there yet when Impi stops singing. Thank the goddess.

“Honey I’m home” squawks Impi; “I’m home.”

The bird is as crazy as the wizard is. As far as the eye can see long grass is waving in the breeze, and this bird thinks we are home?

Alfred mutters under his breath. A door appears out of thin air.

Scare the beejeezes out of me. I grab Alfred’s cloak to keep from falling off the horse. “The house is invisible?”

It takes a while before Alfred stops laughing to answer. “I’m a Great Wizard, of course my house is invisible. You think I have the time to help everyone who thinks they need the services of a great wizard. Those the need to find me can.”

“Great Wizard, Great wizard.” Impi agrees.

“Get off your high horse.” A voice comes from within the house. “A great wizard my foot.” A woman waddles to the door. She looks like a balloon with arms and legs sticking out. I know it is rude to stare but I can’t help it.

“Settle down woman. I brought a lad from the market place to help you clean up.” Alfred explains as he helps me off the horse. I almost fall over I’m so sore from riding all day.

Hulda grabs me by the arm and holds it up for inspection. “This scrawny thing? He’s so tiny I doubt he can even lift a book, let alone all the junk you have laying around.” She pokes me in the ribs. “The poor child needs some fattening up.”

“What is that smell?” Hulda wrinkles her nose. “Alfred didn’t you watch were you were walking?”

“Excuse me, Ma’am,” I interrupt, “It’s me.”

“You smell awful.”

“Sorry, I had to go through the garbage for food.” I explain.

“You poor dear. It’s off to the bath with you and then some food.” She leads me towards the house. “And Alfred”

“Yes dear?”

“I want these clothes burned.”

“Yes dear.”

“Don’t forget.”

Alfred rolls his eyes behind her back. “I won’t”

“Don’t,” She commands as she drags me towards the house.

“Don’t forget, don’t forget.” Squawks Impi as she flaps around Hulda.

Hulda flaps her arms. “You miserable bird, get out of here.”
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326229-Chapter-Two