*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326521-Chapter-Eleven
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935639
Theo struggles to learn to control her magic and her temper.
#326521 added February 4, 2005 at 5:29pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Eleven
I wake up with a terrible feeling in my gut. “I don’t think this has anything to do with berries.” I groan and roll over. I don’t want to leave my new friends today. This isn’t fair. I don’t want to be on my own anymore. All I wanted was to learn magic, to follow my dreams and all the has ended up happening is that I leave all my friends: Eli, cook, Hulda, Charmaine, Tamekia, and now Momma and Baby. How much do I have to give up to follow my dream of learning magic?
Baby pushes and climbs over me. We share a breakfast of berries. Momma leads me to a trail and pats my head. Baby makes a high pitch whining sound and throws itself on my leg. Momma gently peels it off my leg and pushes me down the trail. They stand and wave till I can’t see them anymore.
I look back but I can’t see them. I square my shoulders and set off. Momma must have taken me all the way through the deep woods because the pathway is clear and there is bright sunshine warming my face and making my eyes squint.
The sunshine might be warm on my face but it doesn’t drive out the loneliness from my heart. I miss them. Is this what learning magic is going to be about? Making friends and then leaving them? Having no place to call my own? No, I think magic is about using it to help others, like I did with Momma and Baby. And look at Alfred he might not have a lot of friend, his personality might have something to do with that, but magic makes him happy. .
“What about Lord Elysia?” ask the voice in my head.
“I thought you had left me, I haven’t heard from you in a while.” I chew out the voice, “what about Lord Elysia?”
“He seems to have a lot of friends and actually Alfred has a lot of friends he just chooses to lock himself in his tower because he loves research and coming up with new spells.” Explains the voice in my head. “Magic does not mean you won’t have friends.”
“It doesn’t”
“Look even Alfred has Impi,” reminds the voice.
That’s not what I want.”
“What’s wrong with Alfred and Impi?” demands the voice.
“If some creature or animal chooses to be my familiar I want to be able to discuss things, get opinions. I don’t want it to do things just to annoy me.” I explain.
“What if you don’t like what it has to say?”
“So? I don’t expect everyone to have the same opinions or beliefs that I have. I want a friendship someone to share things with. I’ve never had a sister to share secrets with or talk about you know girl things. That is what I want, now leave me alone.” I keep walking.
The days blur into each other; the only thing that makes it bearable is the voice in my head keeping me company. I walk as far as I can each day till I am exhausted. I find some berries to eat. “Thank you Momma and Baby for making sure that I know which ones are safe to eat.”
At night I find a hollowed out log or make a nest of leaves at the base of large trees. Most nights I am too exhausted to even cry myself to sleep.
It’s a morning just like all the last couple of mornings. The roadway is dusty, as it hasn’t rained in a while. It’s been a few days since I’ve heard the voice in my head. I’m feeling sorry for myself that I almost don’t hear the voices coming down the trail.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326521-Chapter-Eleven