*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326520-Chapter-Ten
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935639
Theo struggles to learn to control her magic and her temper.
#326520 added February 4, 2005 at 5:29pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Ten
Chapter Ten
“Brr” I scoot over to snuggle closer to Baby but all I get is empty space. I open one eye and look around. I’m in some sort of cave; the bed is a ledge off the floor with pine boughs lining it. “Oh, my head still aches,” I moan as I sit up. I gingerly climb down the ledge and make my way towards the door.
Baby comes bouncing into the room and almost knocks me over. “Your in a good mood.” I complain as Baby hands me a big handful of berries. I cram every one of them into my mouth. “I’ve gotten soft at Alfred’s eating three times a day, so much for remembering my garbage days. Thank you Baby for the berries. I need some place to do my business and clean up. I also could use a drink of water.”
Once again, just as if it understood me Baby takes my hand and leads me to a small stream. I go into the bushes and do my business and come back to the stream. I take a long drink and then splash water on my face. My head is thumping like a drum is inside of it.
“You tried to much magic. The first lesson you learn is that magic has a price. It always has a price. You did too much and things we weren’t trained to do.” The voice in my head starts it pounding even worse.
“Shut up, your making my head hurt worse.” I reprimand the voice. Baby looks at me not understanding. “I’m not talking to you Baby.”
“Drink some sassafras tea it will help.”
“Where am I going to get tea in the middle of the woods?”
“You don’t have some with you?”
“You know what? You’re making my head hurt. I’m going to go find Baby, leave me alone.” I grab my head as I get up and go find Baby.
I find Baby with a nice pile of berries and some nuts I help myself to a few. “Thank you for the food and shelter. I wish there were some way we could talk to each other. The first thing of magic I’m going to learn is how to speak and understand others. I know you don’t understand me but I need to be going, I wish you could so that you could point me to the nearest town.”
Momma comes over and her and Baby make a bunch of noise, each pointing different ways. It would appear that they are arguing about directions. Momma walks off and comes back with my bag. “Thank You, for everything. I’m going to miss you two.” I put my bag over my shoulder. Momma picks me up like I’m no heavier than a doll. Baby climbs on her back and off we go at a trot.
“I am so glad that you two are with me.” I bury my face in her arm and hang on tight. We are traveling through some of the deepest, darkest part of the woods. There is a loud screeching noise like an animal in pain. Momma’s arms tighten around me and she trots a little faster. “Please don’t let whatever that was find us.” I whisper.
Something grabs my hair. I let out the loudest scream. Baby starts laughing, “you twit it was you that grabbed my hair,” I accuse Baby then I start laughing.
The sun is high in the sky when Momma stops by a berry bush. She puts us down and begins picking berries. Baby helps so I figure I should too. “I don’t know about you two, but I can’t wait for real food gain. I’m ready to steal anything that isn’t berries. I thought my days as a thief were done.” Momma shoos us into the woods to do our business. When we come out she picks up and we are on our way again.
We travel like this long after the sun has gone down, though in the woods it is hard to know when that happened, bet now there isn’t even a little sunshine trying to peak through the branches. We stop, eat a few berries, do our business and off we go again. I don’t know how she can see in the dark because I can’t even see my hand in front of my face.
I reach up my hand and Baby grabs it, I feel much better holding Baby’s hand that I relax enough to doze. I wake up briefly as Momma lays me down in a pile of leaves and Baby snuggles in. Momma piles more leaves around us as I fall into a sound sleep.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326520-Chapter-Ten