*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326528-Chapter-Seventeen
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935639
Theo struggles to learn to control her magic and her temper.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#326528 added February 4, 2005 at 5:38pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Seventeen
The door burst open as we get closer and out flies Hulda. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen her move so fast. She grabs me in a big bear hug and twirls me around.
“Hulda,” I gasp,” I can’t breath.”
“I’m so sorry child.” She sets me down. “I am very happy to see you. How could you leave without saying good bye?”
“I was mad, not thinking.” I look down at my feet.
“You are here now and that is all that matters. Let’s get you into the house and get you all something to eat.” Hulda leads us into the kitchen. “Grab something and then lets get going. You are going to have to eat on the run. Queen Danika is here with Alfred and I think we need to get you all in there.”
Until I step into the hallway and hear Hulda say, “hallway please take us to Alfred and Queen Danika in the library.” I did not realize how much this place was home. I know she is making the request out loud for Fashant and Graydon sake, but it was still home.
As we get closer to the library I hear voices and slow down and stop just outside the door. Queen Danika is speaking, “Alfred, why has Theodora not been instructed in magic?”
“I’ve been working for the Wizards’ Council and haven’t had time?” answers Alfred.
“That is no excuse. She was with you on those assignment. Plus from what I understand she was the cause for the need of those assignments. If you had been training her this would not have happened.” Accuses Queen Danika.
“I truly have not had the time. I had to teach Rance weather magic and then figure out what was going on with the dragon.” Huffs Alfred.
“You know that is not true. She should have been right there beside Rance learning weather magic so that it would not have snowed for the first time ever in Arkell. As much as I would have liked to see it, it could have caused serious problems for the Arkellians. It was her that figured out what was going on with the dragon, not you. You did not teach her because she is a girl. Admit it!” Commands Queen Danika.
Alfred’s shoulders fall. “You’re right, I did not teach her because she is a girl and it is a waste of time to teach a human girl magic, why don’t you get that?”
“Because you are wrong, Alfred.” Admonishes Queen Danika.
I walk right up to Alfred before anyone can react. “Is that true? Girls really can’t do magic? Or do you just not want girls to do magic?”
Alfred steps back and blinks rapidly.
I step closer. “I asked you is it true that girls can’t do magic? Or do you just not want to teach a girl? Or is it that I am not good enough for you? Maybe I’m not smart enough to be considered a student of the great Alfred T Neble.”
Alfred backs away. Queen Danika sets her hands in her lap and tilts her head towards Alfred. Lord Elysia stands behind her and steps forward but she reaches p and put her hand over his that is resting on her shoulder.
“Tell me Alfred why it is that you won’t teach me. Is it because I was a thief? That reason I can understand. Maybe I’m too young; I don’t know what age magical ability shows itself. Maybe I’m to stupid to learn magic, so I have to work harder than most people do. I’m not scared of hard work, but if you don’t want a stupid pupil because it will run your image I can see that. I figure it has to be a noble reason because that would be the only reason that you would break an oath you made in front of the elves. I don’t believe that you are so narrow minded that you would break an oath over me being a girl. I don’t understand what my being a girl has to do with it. So I don’t do things like a boy, I do them my own way. So tell me Alfred what is your reason for not teaching me?” I stop and wait for him; Alfred stands there not saying anything just looking at me.
I turn to Queen Danika and curtsy. “I’m sorry that I interrupted you, but I need to know the reason. I also need to know something from you. Is there anyway to let Alfred out of his oath if his reason is a valid one without bringing shame to him and his family?”
“Queen Danika smiles at me. “Theodora, it is good to see you. You look a little thinner than the last time I saw you. You also sound like you have done a little thinking on this matter.”
I grimace. “Spending time by yourself in a dark woods and riding on a elvensteed gives a person plenty of time to think once they learn how not to fall off.”
Lord Elysia and Queen Danika laugh.
I turn back to Alfred, “Well, what is the reason. I take the blame for running away I know I shouldn’t have done that. I should have found a way to work things out. That is my mistake and I will take whatever punishment this meeting puts forth but I demand to know why you won’t teach me magic.”
Alfred wraps his arms around his middle. “It is none of the reasons you listed. Oh I certainly complain a lot that you are a girl and that it is a waster of time for me to teach you magic’s, but that isn’t the reason. The real reason is far stupider than that.”
I look at him in surprise. “There is a reason even stupider than I am a girl?”
“That you are a better wizard than I am without training. What do I have to teach you? You’re going to be a more powerful wizard than I will ever be, what do I have to give you?”
“Alfred,” I give him a big hug, “you have so much you can teach me. I have a whole list of things I thought of during my little trip. But more than that, you and Hulda are my family, nothing is more important that that. This is the first time I have a place that I can call home and two people who care what happens to me. How could you doubt that you aren’t the best teacher for me? Plus what you can’t help me with, I have someone who wants to be my familiar and he will help out where you can’t.”
I motion for Fashant to come into the room. “Alfred, Queen Danika, Lord Elysia, everyone, I would like to introduce you to Fashant. He came after me when I made the wrong choice of leaving home. He and Graydon brought me home.”
Alfred keeps his arm around me and extends his other to Hulda. She comes up and stands beside him. He then rests his hand on Fashant’s head. “This does not leave this room for it would room my reputation. Alfred is not sure what he can teach his new apprentice but it doesn’t matter because he loves her as a daughter and will teacher all that he can.”
I notice Queen Danika, Lord Elysia and all the other elves have smiles on their face as they slip out of the room.
We all sit down. “There is so much that I need to learn. Like how to put up shields so I’m not so noisy. How to talk to the other magical or any creature and understand them. How to be quiet in the woods and how to survive on more than berries.”
“Whoa! Take it easy Theo,” exclaims Alfred. “We have plenty of time to learn all that. But first we want to know what happened on your trip. I have a feeling it was quiet an interesting time.”
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326528-Chapter-Seventeen