*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/328313-Happy-Valentines-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#328313 added February 14, 2005 at 8:24am
Restrictions: None
Happy Valentine's Day
It’s Valentines Day. If you’re into all that, hope yours is happy. Personally, I’m not. Some advertising genius working for Hershey’s had a power lunch with the dude in charge of sales at the local jewelry shop and they brainstormed, over glasses of wine and pasta covered in marinara sauce, for ways to increase sales after the Christmas season was over. Thus, Valentines Day was created. As a means of sucking money out of the pockets of men in order to make women feel loved. It’s an excellent opportunity for the jewelry store sales people to get commissions, allowing them to pay off their charge cards which were maxed out the previous Christmas.

But Robin, I can hear you saying, What about legend? The Roman guy jailed and executed for refusing to give up Christianity? Isn’t that the true origin of St. Valentine’s Day? How he supposedly gave a note to someone’s daughter saying ‘Love your Valentine.’? And then, there’s Miss Esther Howland? What about her? We thought SHE was the one given credit for sending the first Valentine’s Day card in the U.S. Back in the 1800’s or something. Long before the concept of power lunches were an accepted practice.

I’d just smile, if you said that to me. I like my story better.

Anyway, a friend of mine, calls today VD day. Which so totally cracks me up. He’ll be at work in a few minutes. I plan on calling him up to say Happy VD Day to you.

*Heart*Anyway, Happy Valentine’s Day to you. *Heart*

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/328313-Happy-Valentines-Day