*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/328369-Lunch-Break-Thoughts
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#328369 added February 14, 2005 at 2:00pm
Restrictions: None
Lunch Break Thoughts
Renee has casually mentioned to me, over the phone that she plans on putting in for a job in Alaska! Matching her cavalierness, I respond “Oh. How nice.” ( not even sure if cavalierness is a word, if it’s not it should be)

Then, she proceeds to tell me how she tried to locate a buddy of hers who held a position in some guy answered the phone and told Renee her friend no longer works there, and they desperately need someone. Especially a highly motivated person. Renee fits this bill. My heart sinks. Alaska. I’ll never see her. It took me years to forgive her for the move to West Virginia, And while the forgiveness arrived late, it’s ultimate embracement solely rested on the fact that Renee holds twin status. Identical twin status.

So now, I’m asking myself, ‘Are the bonds of sisterhood, identical twinhood, strong enough for me to forgive her if she does pack up and move to the other side of the country? (I know I will.)

I almost moved to Coos Bay, OR. I took a trip out there this past summer, brought Laney, just to have a peek at the place Mom lives there. What a great little town. I could walk everywhere; the bank, movie theater, Walmart – only it was called the bi mart – grocery store. For a visually impaired person, the ability to walk everywhere provides a huge advantage.

I came back to work and joked with Carl that I was moving. “Even though,” I told him “They only have two tennis courts. And, they are locked up. You have to go to city hall to obtain a key. The key isn’t available on weekends either.”

“Don’t even say that. You aren’t leaving.” He said.

Autumn didn’t wan to hear about me even considering the move. She said, “But what about your grandchildren?” FYI, I don’t have grandchildren yet. I politely reminded her of this fact. “But you will. Don’t expect me to travel across the country just because YOU want to move.”

“Laney would have fun out there.” I said. This is true, Laney’s idealism isn’t exactly a perfect match for the Bible Belt Deep South we live in.

“Whatever. You know you won’t move.”

Moving to Coos Bay isn’t really a part of my future plans. But neither is Renee, moving to Alaska.

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/328369-Lunch-Break-Thoughts