*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329327-Hable-con-mi-madre
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #470704
Things I find myself only able to express in words and in this journal - welcome!
#329327 added February 19, 2005 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
Hable con mi madre...

I came home for the weekend and I'm actually kinda happy that I did. It's nice to get away from *stark*ville.
I got to talk to my mom last night. We talked until almost 4 am.
Talked about religion, about gay marriage, about a ton of other things. There were some things I wanted to put in here.

She thinks that gay marriages are not moral and that they shouldn't be allowed to "marry" however, she thinks they should be allowed to form the same bonds that marriage would do. But, marriage is normally a religious union as it's defined. I told her I think what part of the problem was that simply there just wasn't a word in the English language to describe the things that come under "marriage". There is no other word to take the place. There are civil unions, however, civil unions can be between ANY one and not be romantic in any fashion.

We talked about implications of gender in same-sex relationships. We talked about gay men. We talked about diseases in the world. We talked about my cousin Anita and the woman she's lived with, forever, Leslie. My mom admitted to not knowing if they were together or not. She doesn't know if they're a lesbian couple and has never asked. She doesn't seemed concerned if they are. But, she admittedly said that Anita DOES do the masculine stuff typically while Leslie will do the feminine. I'm still hooked on the fact that Anita WAS wearing a wedding band while Leslie WAS wearing an engagement ring AND the band. When they took pictures, Anita sat in the chair, Leslie stood. They fit into male and female roles. And ironically enough, Leslie, while she's kinda quiet and shy with my parents... feels that she can talk to me and seems to be comfortable around me. If they are lesbians, then, haha, my cousin would be a bull-dyke. Which, for me personally, is so not the type of woman I go after. But, hey, glad to see someone else in the family is.

We talked about my parents running into people I knew in High School and how they'll ask about me, what they'll say. One of them said something that was kinda peculiar. She said that she was sure I was doing really well, especially now that I didn't have anyone to hold me back. If she said that, then she understood me more than I could have ever known.
Another one said I was one of the smartest girls he ever knew. There have been other comments made like that.
These people have never really heard my inner thoughts, they've NEVER had an in-depth conversation with me. They don't know the extent to which I think. And maybe they pick up on it. Or maybe they saw just a little, assumed a lot, and I never spoke to make them change their minds.

We talked about sociology and psychology in detail. I mentioned not double-majoring, dropping sociology. She actually was like "why not?" cause, I think, she knows it's what I love in way. She seemed to discourage me, but without saying it, ya know.

We talked about people, about society. She asked me how people could locate certain traits about serial killers. How criminal profilers could know those things. I explained, it's a pattern. There are always patterns. Between one person to a next. There are always traits that seem to go together. All people are readable, if you know enough people. (Including myself)

I have more to say, but I should go.


Closing quotes:
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. - Confucius

Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

© Copyright 2005 TrueSoul137 (UN: truesoul137 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TrueSoul137 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329327-Hable-con-mi-madre