*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/330361-Staying-Out-of-It
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#330361 added February 24, 2005 at 8:43am
Restrictions: None
Staying Out of It
What an awful night last night was. Everyone was angry about something and felt compelled to involve me in there angriness. I just sat there, nodding at appropriate moments, but mostly, staying silent. Anger this intense isn’t worth engaging yourself in, especially when it’s not MY issue.

Autumn was furious at Shaun. I’ve never seen her so angry before. “I don’t want to talk about it.” She says, as I slid into the front passenger’s seat of her car.

Fine by me. I’ve had a wonderfully busy day, but it was sprinkle with stressful moments. I’m worried about emails, when I get home, about mistakes in the draws, or avoidance requests I might have missed.

I try to relax, you know, find a quiet place in my mind, for the ride home. I let the seat back, take a deep breath, and picture something pleasant in my mind. My quiet moment? Not happening.

Her cell phone rings. She is livid. I hear bits and pieces of the fight she and Shaun had from her responses into the phone. Oh My Gosh. I’m glad I missed the original. Peace and quiet aren’t mine- at least during the ride home.

“where are we going?” I ask, almost afraid to speak.

“To pick up Shaun.” He’s standing in the parking lot of a gas station across town. I don’t even want to know. Shaun, at 23 has no car. Autumn takes him to and from work, and to whatever/where ever else he wants to go, when he can’t borrow his sister’s car.

Shaun hops into the back seat. “Can I borrow your cell phone?” he asks Autumn. What balls. I almost say this to him. But I’m staying out of it. It’s not my issue. But still, I can’t believe he has the nerve to even ask her for anything.

The request angers Autumn even more, and she has a few choice words for him. Her cell phone stays up front with her. I’m wondering where HIS cell phone is, but again, I’m out of this one.

Now, Autumn is really mad. I hate ridding in the car with her when she’s mad or in a rush. She drives too fast and tailgates. It’s very unnerving. So, she almost rear-ends this green Ford Explorer just before we pull into the church parking lot – where she is dropping Shaun off.

I lose it at this point. No longer able to remain silent. I make some comment about my head going through the windshield isn’t my favorite visual. Furthermore, its not on my agenda today. In truth, ‘smash head through windshield’ is NEVER on my agenda. But, whatever.

So, Shaun gets dropped off. Before we can move the car even one inch forward, Autumn’s body goes rigid and a few obscenities fly out of her mouth. The F word being used several times. This is new for me. The mother, hearing such languate coming from her.

Bless her heart. I’ve never seen her this angry. I almost feel sorry for her.


© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/330361-Staying-Out-of-It