*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332405-September-29-2004-grcubby
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
September 29, 2004: grcubby

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Flower2* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

*Flower2* We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

*Star*Your host this week: Cubby

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

*Balloon3*What is a Campfire??? *Balloon3*

The first time I was invited to join a Campfire, I had absolutely no idea what to do. Oh, yes, it's pretty self-explanitory, but the first time for anything is a bit scary... at least for me! Once I became part of one, I could hardly wait for my turn to come around again. But sometimes it never did because there became a loss of interest. That happens, so I would recommend starting with only a few members that you are pretty sure would stick with it. Also, if you have too many participants, it's hard to keep up with what's going on in the story.

My sister, common child trusts in God and I started one ourselves over a year ago. I could not believe how fast we had written a short children's mystery! Oh, it was so much fun. And it was only the two of us. She ended up deleting it from her port, but she printed it off and gave me a copy. I am not exaggerating when I say, it was a blast!

To begin a Campfire, click on the fire icon near the top of your window. It's the 6th one over, just above *Star*}Gold Sponsored Item*Star*. A form comes up to fill out, just like a static item. A Campfire is created by additions from only those who have been explicitly invited to participate. It is run by the leader who has created the Campfire. Only members who are invited are allowed to be a part of it. Members may decline your invitation, or accept. If they accept but cannot participate when their turn comes up, they have the Skip option to click so the story may continue quicker, on to the next participant.

Hey, it's fall! The night's are cooler, the day's are shorter. Why not start a Campfire and get warmed up! *Bigsmile*
~~~*Flower2*~~~


Editor's Picks

*Star* Here are a few sites that should help answer most of your questions...

Getting Started: Table of Contents  (E)
Visit here for a tour of Writing.Com and learn about this vast, exciting site!
#168945 by The StoryMistress

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#794007 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#741058 by Not Available.


*Right* And don't forget to check out Frequently Asked Questions near the bottom of your screen. *Laugh*

*Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2*


*Balloon6* *Star* Featured Items from Newbies *Star* *Balloon6*


*Balloon3*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


*Balloon3*
 Little Buddy  [E]
The heartbreak of precious little ones (my grandson)
by Sadkatrina2


*Balloon3*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


*Balloon3*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


*Balloon3*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


*Balloon3*
 Magnificient World  [E]
The world may be crazy but it is still beautiful
by Lone Wolf


*Balloon3*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


*Balloon3*
 Improve Your Reviews  [E]
Learn how to give quality reviews that authors will appreciate! (NOTE: written in 2004)
by Kelly L Greg


*Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2*


*Flower2* Great Places for Newbies to Check Out! *Flower2*


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#844409 by Not Available.

FORUM
Noticing Newbies  (13+)
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
#126963 by The StoryMistress

THE DROP-OFF BOX   (13+)
Monthly newbie contest.
#530577 by Tammy~Catchin Up~

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#756302 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#822284 by Not Available.


*Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2*

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

*Balloon3* Yeah, Feedback! *Balloon3*

*Star* Pretty in Black
*Balloon6* I love libraries--they're such great places. A couple years ago a huge library was built just about a mile and a half away from where I live, so now I walk there all the time. *Smile*
Keep up the wonderful work,
Jamie

Glad to hear it, Jamie! Sounds like you're getting your exercise in, too. *Smile* I love libraries also, maybe that's why I work in one, lol! But there's just something comforting and safe feeling about being around all those books.

*Star* megsie2584
*Balloon6* I use the public library 3 or 4 days each week. Once it's to bring the kids I babysit to return and borrow books. The other times I'm usually using the library as a study place, instead of a resource with a lot of great books. Once I finish the 5 books I've already started I'll be ready to scrounge around again.

Great Newsletter!

Megan

Sounds like me, Megsie! I've got at least five books next to my bed. I almost always end up going back to reading children's/YA chapter books, though. Just can't help it. *Bigsmile* There's a young woman who comes into my library with 3 or 4 kids she babysits. I think you are instilling a wonderful seed bringing in the kids you babysit. If children have a good experience in libraries, and feel comfortable, I think they will return as an adult. Good work!

*Star* then_so_be_it
*Balloon6* How often do you use a public library?

Almost never, actually. The last time I went to a library was more than a year ago. I lived somewhere else last time I went to a library, and we never stayed at the library long. I thought it was almost annoying going there, because of the kids who would run around screaming at the top of their lungs...Didn't they ever here about the hush rule???

*Laugh* While we are not 'quiet as a mouse' in my library, we are not loud, either. Most kids are quieted down by their parents. Once in a while I have to say something, but not often. Of course if we have a summer reading program going on, that's different. I'm sure every librarian runs their library differently, but I'm sure it would be very disturbing if kids were running around screaming. Many people come to the library to study or just to browse leisurely around, looking at books. It's very relaxing... or should be! *Smile*

*Star* PastVoices
*Balloon6* Another wonderful Newsletter Cubby!

How often do you use a public library?

That is a loaded question. I have a bad habit of buying books I am reading in order to mark them up with markers or notes. Got that in my college Literature classes I think. I am always studying other writers.

However, I do research for other writers and am delighted to no longer cart everything from home and back. With the exception of picking up something I want to check out, I use my Public Library almost completely online! (I miss the coffeeshop though!)

I can understand what you are saying. If there's a non-fiction book I want, I'd just as soon own it because I like to write notes on the side, highlight, underline, dog-ear the pages, etc. And you can't do that to a library book, lol! Well, some people think you can... *Laugh* I don't usually buy fiction books though. Yes, the internet has cut down on library usage I think, at least for research purposes. Hardly anyone looks at our encyclopedias! The library I work in, however, is in a low-income community, so it's a great resource for kids and adults who don't have computers.... Yes, there are still people out there that do not own a computer.

*Star* Puditat
*Balloon6* Great editorial Cubby and wise advice. I remember being curious too about the mystic yellow suitcases. I also remember the feeling of absolute joy and honour I felt at being promoted. Aah, the memories are still sweet!

Oh, I agree!!! It's amazing what a boost it is. I'm still on high from turning blue last winter!

*Star* Quote: Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure.

~ Oliver Herford

*Flower2* Cubby's Question of the Month*Flower2*
What is your favorite genre?

*Bullet*~~~~~~~~*Flower5*~~~~~~~~*Bullet*

*Heart* Next week's editor is that one really nice lady we all love...

esprit
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332405-September-29-2004-grcubby