*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332404-September-22-2004-kiwiangel
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
September 22, 2004: kiwiangel

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Reading* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Reading*


Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Your host this week is: Puditat
Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Exploring "Reviewing"


Much has been said about reviewing lately. How to review, what not to do, being kind, encouraging, helpful and honest. These are all fantastic things and are worthy of repeated mentions but, fear not, I am not talking about that today.

Join me on a small journey of exploration to one part of this extensive site. Right up the top of the page there is a black bar divided into four partitions -
Getting Started | Reading | Writing | Reviewing

It is to the last one that I want to focus on in this editorial. *Smile*

When the Reviewing page first loads it will automatically show the latest public reviews. Here you can read through some reviews given by fellow Writing.com'ers. Reward a reviewer you feel has done good work and been good with their review. A handy little box is on each review so you gift points (anonymously if you choose) direct to the reviewer. Choose your amount, click send. A message can be added at this point, and it is a nice idea to send a brief explanation of why you liked their review or just an encouraing message for the good work. Tick the box if you want to remain anonymous. Voila, it's done.

         Tip ~ if want more reviews, read something from the port of a person who is currently reviewing (i.e. appears near the top of the list). Review their item (helpfully!) but don't solicit their review. Chances are they will return the kindness.

The next link on the reviewing page is for "Most Credited Reviewers". This will list the top 100 reviewers. This probably means that they are very active within the site but the credit is given for the quality of the person's reviews. If you want to support these great bunch of people, choose one and read some of their latest reviews. If you find one that deserves recognition, why not send them some gift points (the same way as for the Public Reviews mentioned above). Again, these people are probably good targets for you to review their ports as they generally will return the gesture.

The next link is similar to the Most Credited Reviewers. It is "Most Active Reviewers" which lists the top 100 reviewers in terms of quantity, over the last 31 days. The page lists the rank, name and number of reviews for each name listed. This changes regularly as people go through review sprees (yes, a number of people do that *Bigsmile*).

         Tip ~ Check this page often if you are aiming to receive a Reveiwing merit badge at the end of the month. If you have been doing lots of reviews you can see your position and how much work you have to do. It will give you an idea of what figure you need to aim for to make it into the top 100. *Wink*

Moving along, we find the "Most Active Raters link. Here are the top 100 givers of ratings on Writing.com. This can often be similar to the top 100 reviewers but you can make it onto this list even if you don't do reviews. You should always aim to give an item a rating, even if you don't want to write a review of the piece. In this way you encourage and provide feedback to the author - all very valuable.

Next line down is "Items to Review" This is a direct link to "Please Review where you can find items which people want good quality reviews on. A good place to visit to up your personal review numbers. On this page you can also plug your own item for which you want a good quality, helpful review.

The very last link back on the Reviewing page is "Info About Reviewing. This is a great resource for reviewers or anyone being reviewed. Find out how the rankings for reviewers are formulated. Read about the review system and it's integrity. Then right at the bottom to round it all out, are some links to individual items on completing good reviews. If you want a refresher course, need some information or want to find out how to review, this is a GREAT place to start.

         Tip ~ Further links to reviewing resources (whether looking to get something reviewed or to review someone's piece) can be found int he "Item Jumps" drop down menu at the left hand side of every page. *Cool*

Thanks for reading.
Puditat
noticing newbies committee sig



Editor's Picks

*Cool* A wonderful selection of work from Newbies! *Cool*
Stop by, read, rate and review.
*Cool* Don't forget to introduce yourself.
*Cool*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#885239 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#889840 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#890285 by Not Available.


Why Won't the Seasons Change?  (ASR)
just another poem
#890335 by Eric Grey


 Holding Hands (Now with image and audio)  (E)
A Poem dedicated to the memory of my sister Betty who died in my arms January 9th 2004
#890309 by Ann Ticipation


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#889683 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#890008 by Not Available.


And some great places for Newbies to check out:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#863907 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#872931 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#794817 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#796127 by Not Available.


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

*Flower6*~~*Flower6*~~*Flower6*


No one is talking to me this time around. *Frown*
Please feel free to drop a line, even if it's just to say hi!
*Smile* Editors love feedback! *Smile*


*Flower6*~~*Flower6*~~*Flower6*


Any queries, problems, praise or advice? Send it to one of Editors via the feedback form on this newsletter or direct to their email by clicking the wee envelope after their handle. *Smile*

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332404-September-22-2004-kiwiangel