*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332412-November-9-2004-laurencia
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
November 9, 2004: laurencia

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

N0TICING NEWBIES NEWSLETTER

Noticing Newbies Newsletter is geared to help new members get acquainted with Writing.com -- there is so much do and all the features can be overwhelming! Our goal is to help new members make their time here more fun and manageable. Each week we will showcase new authors items (poetry, short story, polls, etc.). Exposure for each member's writing will help bring more rates and reviews for their work, and by bringing more member interaction to the member, that will give them the opportunity to build friendships with other members, as long as they reciprocate reviews and conversation -- remember, it is a two way street.


"There's someone that you haven't already met, go introduce yourself to him or her. Walls and labels can't keep you from the people who are so similar to you in spirit. There's a friendly face behind every door if you pick the right moment to knock. Once you start your wave of creative outreach, it turns into a contagious force. People are waking up and smiling at each other, sharing their dreams without hesitation. This community is worth something."

-- Author Unknown

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

Hello,

Welcome to another edition of the Noticing Newbies Newsletter. When I first started writing newsletters for Writing.com, I would worry about "What if the members don't like what I write about?" or "What if my writing doesn't sound perfect?" I was hard on myself to the point I wasn't truly enjoying my time spent writing the newsletter. It's funny, but after asking the StoryMrs. to accept my request to write a monthly edition and she did accept, I e-mailed her back and said, I don't think I have the time to devote to this. She just laughed at me, in a nice way, and said "Don't worry, it's an easy assignment...write whatever you would like." And I did. I wrote and still write, what I find interesting. The most important thing I have learned since then, and Writing.Com has helped me along the way, is finding my own voice. If you do not have your own voice, it will make writing that much harder. You know when you have your unique voice, because the words just flow and you feel good about what you have said no matter what. If do not write from your heart and gut, then it isn't going to be something the readers enjoy and YOU enjoy.

Every writer will find what works for them; what routine will bring out the words within. There are a couple of "must do" tips to make the process easier.

*Bullet* Get your words on paper (good or bad) and edit later. Analyzing and editing during writing is crippling and can create procrastination. I have personally had to learn this important task. Even as I write this, I fight the urge to edit as I go.

*Bullet* Write what you know and research what you need to know, but write the research in your own words.

*Bullet* It is good practice to use alliteration, similes and metaphors in fiction and non-fiction. Finding new ways to say something is refreshing to the ear. Also, it is crucial to use specific nouns and verbs, to make the sentences strong and not passive. Try not to use adverbs and adjectives unless it is called for -- a practiced writer will know when it is necessary.

*Bullet* Journaling is very good practice. Some people may not have the interest to journal; logging information doesn't have to be daily activities. Journaling can simply be writing poetry, short stories, recipes, whatever it is that you enjoy. Practice makes perfect.*Smile*

Until next time...
** Image ID #692136 Unavailable **

Editor's Picks

*Star*Monthly featured newbies I have personally chosen for your enjoyment:*Star*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#905508 by Not Available.


Blood Melody- Chapter one  (18+)
Sage struggles with what she is when she meets a stranger who is just as deadly.
#906426 by Mistress Mayhem


 .:every breath of you:.  (13+)
concerning the power of silence, those who have this can control the world
#906477 by Nya


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#905414 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#906470 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#900598 by Not Available.


 Little Bird  (E)
About my best friend ,made up words, mixed metaphors, structure problems, like it anyway
#906413 by The Dead


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#906340 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#906138 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#903108 by Not Available.

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Nikola~Loving Her Gracie Girl!
Laurencia,
Great newletter on screenplays! I'm just learning about them myself as my writing partner here in Oklahoma and I are working on a screenplay and novel. She has the knowledge, I'm soaking it up like a sponge!
~Nikola


PastVoices
How interesting, Laurencia! Questions I would never asked, but answered and supported nicely!!


Mimulous
I came accross writing.com by mistake just under a month ago and have definately not regretted it. Since joining I have filled my portfolio and have recieved some really great comments. My first reveiw was so positive and encouraging and it was such a nice feeling. Thankyou sooooooooo much.

Mimulous


Thank you Nikola, PastVoices and Mimulous for your feedback and support! It means a lot to me.



Please e-mail any questions or comments directly to the newsletter, attention to myself or any of the editors:

Puditat
Cubby
esprit
laurencia

Next week's editor is: Puditat

I'll see you on December 6th! Take care! Laurencia
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332412-November-9-2004-laurencia