*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332411-November-2-2004-storytime
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
November 2, 2004: storytime

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

The Editors Are:

laurencia
Puditat
Cubby
Your host this week is esprit


*Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6**Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon1**Balloon2* *Balloon3*


Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header

*Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6**Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon1**Balloon2* *Balloon3*


EDIT OR REVISE?

Are you receiving the right type of feedback?


New writers don't realize how much they don't know about writing until they begin to write. Hey, it's not easy!

TO EDIT

Most of the reviews you receive will be editing reviews. To edit means to polish a finished piece by changing word choices to be more precise and concise, and to work on sentence structure, in addition to eliminating any errors in grammar, punctuation and mechanics.

TO REVISE

To revise means “to see again.” This is at the heart of writing well. Take a fresh look at what you have written by distancing yourself from the work and evaluating it from a reader’s point of view.

The two can overlap, but they are very different. Inexperienced writers sometimes think they are revising when they are really editing. You need to do both, so be careful not to confuse one with the other.

Revising usually comes before editing, because you can waste time perfecting a paragraph that you later decide to delete. You can correct errors as you move along, especially if doing so makes you more confident or comfortable. But the more time and energy you invest in editing early on, the harder it may be to make major changes that would enrich your work. When something looks perfect on the surface, it can be tempting not to touch it.

Writers usually benefit from setting the drafts aside for a time so that later they can see their work more objectively. What looks good when you are excited does not necessarily look good the morning after.

What is not on the page can be even more important than what is there.

One of the most difficult tasks in revision is to look for what you have left out. No matter how good a draft looks, ask yourself if something is missing.

Share your work with other readers and ask them to let you know if there is anything they find confusing or want to know more about. Providing readers with this kind of specific direction can get you a much more focused review than simply asking “What do you think?” When not given direction, some readers may keep reservations to themselves because they suspect they are being asked to approve a finished product.

Checklist for Revising.

*Paragraph* Is the purpose clear? Does the work stick to its purpose?

*Paragraph* Does it address the appropriate audience?

*Paragraph* Is the tone appropriate for the purpose, audience, and occasion?

*Paragraph* Is the subject focused?

*Paragraph* Does it make a clear point?

*Paragraph* Is each paragraph unified and coherent?

*Paragraph* Does the work follow an effective method of development?

*Paragraph* Is the beginning effective?

*Paragraph* Is the ending effective?

My sincere hope is that this information is helpful to those who need it.


** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
noticing newbies committee sig


Editor's Picks

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



** Image ID #830174 Unavailable **



My Picks For Newbies of the Month *Exclaim*


highlighted newbies

badvoudou

fairytldrmer

Cecelia Shea

23pertolote

Editor’s Picks

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Though it still needs work, BEHIND is so much improved I just had to include it here. Pay attention to the emotion of fear in this one.


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 At the Mercy of the Sea  [E]
The title is kinda self explanitory...
by ♥.:: Rainy::. ♥


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Remember to read your neighbor’s work too!


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


helpful links

Noticing Newbies  [13+]
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
by The StoryMistress


Getting Started: Table of Contents  [E]
Visit here for a tour of Writing.Com and learn about this vast, exciting site!
by The StoryMistress


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


User Resources  [E]
A brief listing of review forums, how-to articles, writing workshops for newbies :)
by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Writing Contests @ Writing.Com  [E]
Writing Contests on Writing.Com are posted here.
by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


THE DROP-OFF BOX   [13+]
Monthly newbie contest.
by Tammy~Catchin Up~


How to use the signature block  [E]
I was asked what a sig was and what was a sig-block. *RE-EDITED*
by Vivian


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

*Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6**Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon1**Balloon2* *Balloon3*


Newbie Question of the Month

I am new and have NO idea how any of this stuff works. I have no clue what to do so......HELP!

We've all asked or wanted to ask this question haven't we? It takes time, and with updates being added often, we all are always learning. There's no time to become bored! The links above are there to help you. Click and read the instructions. Explore the site, it's the only way to become acquainted.

You can always post a question on "Noticing Newbies"   by The StoryMistress if you're unable to find the answer. That's what it's there for.


I received some great feedback this week! Thank you! This is the stuff that keeps us going.

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-07-04 @ 10:27am
Submitted By: EVOLVIST
Submitted Comment:

This is brilliant! That Dreamer73 should be noticed for her art, in a sea of talent, has made my day. A newbie myself, it gladdens the heart to notice that someone has noticed one of the most noticeable writers of note on writing.com. Cheers, Dreamer73 & Esprit!
Nick

You bet I noticed! Thanks for the cheers!

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-07-04 @ 2:49pm
Submitted By: megsie2584
Submitted Comment:

What a great message! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Megan

Thank you, too!

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-07-04 @ 3:00pm
Submitted By: Puditat
Submitted Comment:

A lovely editorial Esprit. This is something all writers should be reminded of, as we all struggle some days, feeling that we are not capable of anything at all. Keep up the wonderful work Esprit.

Thank you. And for many, it's something they need reinforced everyday. Those are the ones who must praise themselves often, and learn to believe it.

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-08-04 @ 1:05am
Submitted By: poetryqueen24
Submitted Comment:

You are so true...No one but another writer truly understands the amount of effort, time tears, and emotions we’ve been through.
We all do need recognition and praise to keep from giving up !

GOOD JOB ON THIS NEWS LETTER

Thanks, PoetryQueen.

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-08-04 @ 10:49am
Submitted By: sdodger
Submitted Comment:

That was a great newsletter. I really liked what you said about believing in yourself, reviewing one another until we can achieve the reader's of our work. It was all so true and acurate. Thank you.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Keep reading. Newbie Newsletters are not only for the newbies.

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-10-04 @ 5:57pm
Submitted By: lynk
Submitted Comment:

Esprit,
I loved your editorial for this nl.
It made me laugh though, because the only person to take interest in what I write is my Dad and he takes great pleasure in pulling every single word I write into little pieces and making me feel about 2 inches high. Needless to say, I stopped showing him a while ago. I know I'm not brilliant, but even I know I aren't that bad!!
(Please don't print this one)

That's why I love this site so much. I get honest opinions, and they make up for the total lack of family support!

Lynne

*Bigsmile* Thanks, Lynne. We know you aren't that bad too. I would love to be able to assure you that your secret is safe with me. *Blush*


*Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6**Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon1**Balloon2* *Balloon3*



A few Submitted Items


Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-07-04 @ 10:01am
Submitted By: Dreamer73
Submitted Item: "No More [18+]
Submitted Comment:

Your message in this newsletter is very inspiring. It helped me just knowing that the insecurities I myself have experienced often come with the territory. You were one of the first people to encourage me when I was brand new. Because of your review/comments I found I had gained enough confidence to encourage others and that is rewarding in and of itself. I was so blown away that you have chosen to highlight little ole me in this months edition. Words cannot express the depths of my gratitude. Since joining in September, I have experienced so much kindness and generosity from other members here. I feel blessed to be among so many kind and generous souls!

Gratefully yours,
Jenn

Jenn, it's comments like these that make it all worth while. You have just paid me a huge bonus!Thank you.

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-11-04 @ 5:51am
Submitted By: anuraginl
Submitted Item: "Invalid Item
Submitted Comment:

HELLO ESPRIT

Thank you so much for your generous effort to give that beautiful red ribbon to my article and highlighting it on your esteemed newsletter. This is the first time i'm reading it and I find it exceptionally good. I hope that you will continue the good work in future.

Rags, it deserved the ribbon!

Submitted To: Noticing Newbies
Submission Time: 10-18-04 @ 3:12pm
Submitted By: studiddy
Submitted Item: "Invalid Item
Submitted Comment:

This is one of my funnier pieces that I would like included in the "Noticing Newbies" newsletter. Thank you!

Thanks for submitting it, Stu!

*Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6**Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon1**Balloon2* *Balloon3*


** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332411-November-2-2004-storytime