*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332907-Chapter-IV
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #944515
Three colleagues make a perilous journey which brings real life and legend hand in hand.
#332907 added March 5, 2005 at 6:09am
Restrictions: None
Chapter IV
Morning crested the mountains, layering Mountain Lake in a golden yellow glow of sunlight, bird song and the aroma of cooking food. The night lay without incident, allowing each woman, despite half the amount of sleep, to feel fully rested and prepared for another day of travel. Saeran, earlier that morning, had located a bird’s nest, securing three perfectly oval, lightly spotted yellow eggs for food for first light. She had the fire stoked, the tea hot, the eggs cooking and fruit and nuts set on the side for garnishment. Karish looked up sleepily from her blanket wondering when did Saeran learn how to cook? Saeran had amazed her at every turn this trip, the woman who did nothing that didn’t involve copious quantities of servants, from board games to needlepoint, just to list a couple of items. Yet, here she was, food for first light fully prepared and not burnt, yet. Valia, rolled over, looked at the eggs and was up in moments trying to find a way to slide the egg off the rock without breaking the yoke. Finally securing the egg, unsuccessful in her effort to keep it whole, grabbed up some fruit and poured a hot cup of tea.

Savoring every bite, the meal was finished in a matter of minutes. Saeran daintily wiped food from her face with a wetted handkerchief, Valia tried to scrape leftovers off the rock, while Karish sipped the last of her tea, a very content look on her face. As usual, this was just another beautiful, blessed morning to be enjoyed till the sweltering afternoon heat rolled in with the rising of the sun into the afternoon sky.

Shortly after breakfast, still a couple hours prior to departure, Karish stood up. Flinging her trousers and blouse over her head, she ran stark naked at full tilt straight into the lake. Cold water running off her body in rivulets, she surfaced, face flushed, gasping for air, waving for Saeran and Valia to come join. Saeran and Valia just looked at each other astounded. Valia, not to be outdone, slid out of her clothes in record time, bare feet flashing through the grass down the low-lying hill past Gray Ghost, cannon balled into the water, sending water in every direction. Karish ducked beneath the wave. Valia surfaced, splashing water in Karish’s direction. Karish reciprocated the sentiment with vigor. Seconds later, both woman laughing, breath coming in gasps through the cold of the morning sun, finished their bath. Saeran, still sat next to the fire patiently waiting for these two to come back, dry off, and put some clothes on so she could go take her bath in privacy.

Clean and packed out, they were ready to go. They were at a quick clip, turning east out of the basin back onto Merak Pass. It would be half a day’s ride to make it through the rest of the mountain range. Karish was leading the way. Whispering Wind’s muscles moved smoothly underneath her legs, followed by Saeran then Valia.

Shortly before nightfall they exited the far end of the mountains. Flat brown scorched earth stood before them for as far as the eye could see, scrub brush rushed out from the mountainside only to be smitten by sand, sun, and heat a couple hundred meters away from the base. Cloaks had been ditched hours ago, trying to stench the flow of sweat forming on brow and body from the humid heat of the day. Sweat gave no amnesty during the hot windless day. They pulled out their desert covers for head and body, they would need these for several purposes: One, someone not adjusted to the heat would succumb to sunburn and heat exhaustion quickly; two, it was best to look like one of the desert people when traveling amongst them; and three, the sand, during a storm, whipped into miniature tornados, slashed the skin with hundreds of tiny needles, making it virtually impossible to see an object more than a hand length away. They were dressed quickly. Saeran was wearing paisley in gauzy colors; Valia, silver gray shimmering like lightning on low-lying thunder clouds; Karish, breathlessly white, could have easily been mistaken for one of the high-class clanswoman.

“We make haste to the resupply point tonight. We sleep during the hottest part of the day, reach our destination, get our business done and leave,” said Karish. “Anything else you two want to accomplish before this is done? Valia?”

“I read up on a temple, recently located under the city center. I want to see if they have anything for trade. The clans’ people have no written documentation on their culture and secrets except from outside observers. This place just might have those records. They would be priceless to the right buyer.”

“Gotcha, Valia, we’ll see what we can do. Saeran?”

“Not at this moment, but don’t be surprised when we get there.”

“Then let’s make haste.” With that Karish spurred her mount forward into a gallop. Saeran and Valia staggered to her left like the half side of a triangle, avoiding Karish’s dust trail tossed off her horse’s hooves as they pummeled the sand like hammer on anvil, hot, fast, and with a purpose.

They were making good time. Only the stars told Karish that she was heading in the right direction. The desert was oddly devoid of any significant landforms or signs indicating the correct direction. The full moon cast its blue-gray glow across the landscape, illuminating nothing but the dust off their mounts’ hooves.

They were more than halfway to their destination. Karish slowed up, allowing Whispering Wind and the other mounts a break. They were tired, they had been up all day and now well into the night and all were looking forward to some respite. They kept their eyes peeled for danger. This leg of the journey had been relatively uneventful. They had met no desert people or travelers. This, in actuality, was odd for a people who did most of their work during the cool time of the day, which wasn’t the day at all but the night.

“Does this not seem odd to you guys,” said Karish, “no activity?”

“Yes and no. Yes, we would have seen a couple of people by now, but this is a big desert, it’s a possibility we went down a different path than the traders. Remember, there are no set roads and we only take this trip once every couple of years,” replied Saeran.

“You’re probably right.”

“Look, do you guys see the outline of the top of a tent in the distance? I bet that’s what we’re looking for,” exclaimed Valia, pointing slightly northeast.

Both women looked to where she was pointing and nodded, that should be it. They could see the dip off the top of three low-lying squat white tents, two poles holding up the middle with a doorway on one side and open cloth windows on the other three. There were no lights. They were probably sleeping.

A short while later, pulling up outside the far side of the three tents, the three women dismounted, tethering their mounts to the pole just off the side of the first tent, especially meant for whatever animal a traveler was riding. Karish walked up to the first tent and entered. There was a small boy lying in the doorway, the rest of his family, twenty strong, spread out on rugs throughout the tent. Karish bent over and tapped his shoulder gently; he rolled over, eyes sleepily opening. Upon seeing a possible customer, he bound to his feet, excitement reflecting in his liquid brown eyes.

“How may I help you, madam? We have room for all,” quickly grabbing her hand and leading her back outside. None in the tent stirred at the commotion. He was not surprised. This was nothing new; this was his job. He quickly took in the situation upon exiting.

“Ma’am, we have room for all. It is the third tent. The settings are modest but they are fine. The horses can be taken around to the back middle area between the tents. We keep feed and water there for them.” After his eloquent speech was over, one practiced for years, it seemed, and apparently working, he looked at them for approval. Karish gave a slight nod.

“I will take care of your mounts for you if you would like,” he continued.

Karish held up her hand, “No, that’s all right. We’ll take care of our own horses. Thank you for your hospitality,” and tossed him a coin. He snatched the coin out of the air, smiled, and dashed back into the tent, his job finished.

Valia, exhausted, “Bedtime,” she said. She walked Gray Ghost over to the small corral built between the tents, Saeran and Karish right behind her. They performed their duties quickly and silently, only thinking about the soft mat awaiting them inside the third tent. They grabbed their gear and headed to the tent. They entered through the cloth flap at the front and headed straight towards the far-back left-hand corner where three mats sat next to each other. Most of the mats in the tent were already occupied by other travelers. Wanting their privacy, they had utilized every other or every third mat. The three women located their wares safely within hand’s distance; then lay down to sleep. They were asleep before their heads hit the mat.

The tent, blistering hot, woke the women. Most of the other travelers had left earlier that morning to avoid the heat of the afternoon sun or were still sleeping, like them, not expecting to leave the area till the hottest part of the day was over, that normally fell between the sun at its crest to about three or four hours later. Sitting up, wiping sleep and sweat from their eyes, they quickly had their personal items packed. They would sit and wait for the small boy or another of his family to come over and serve them food for first light. They would submit their order for supplies then, as was custom. Supplies were never readily available, they would be ordered now and by the time the day cooled down and they departed, the family would have everything they needed ready to depart with them, acquired from other families in the area.

Valia got up and exited, mumbling something about Gray Ghost. Saeran just sat there trying to keep her face clean with her wet handkerchief despite all the sand. Karish was hungry, and if the family didn’t come over soon she felt she would be hunting them or her own food for first light, since first light had exited the scene hours ago and it was almost time for the midday meal. It wasn’t long before the flap to the door flipped back and a smiling pair of liquid brown eyes with a shock of black hair appeared. The boy from last night smiled and entered with two trays full of bread, meat, and some strange type of cheese. He had the water bag slung over his back. He dropped the first plate off with a couple sitting close to the front right side of the door, the other he brought over to the women. He would have to get more food for the other occupants of the tent, but they would wait; he liked these three light-complexioned, beautiful women.

“Is there anything else I may get you fine ladies?”

“Yes, there is. We need enough supplies for three people for three meals with water,” Karish told the boy.

“Yes, that will not be a problem. How soon do you need it?”

“After the heat of the day is over.”

The boy smiled, “You shall have it, sweet lady. It will be packed and ready when you leave.” His smile faltered, “Where is the third of you three?”
Karish, amused, continued, “She is with Gray Ghost, around back.”

The boy jumped up like a scared rabbit, smiled and exited with a flourish, door flapping in the midmorning wind, headed in the direction of Valia.
They started eating, leaving enough for Valia when she returned. Since Gray Ghost was so close to her, she was never long gone from his side. She returned shortly, face covered in a fine sheen of sweat, happy.

“That boy is so cute,” she said, sitting down and grabbing some food.

“I know,” said Karish.
The boy came back shortly and dropped off two more trays of food for the other travelers in the tent. They seemed perturbed to have to wait. He just smiled and acted courteously to each, knowing the tip would be small, but it was worth the attention he was receiving from the women. Women were seldom seen outside the house in his culture. Seldom seen out of their dark, long flowing head covers and gowns, women never worked as traders. He was intrigued by the texture of their hair, the color of their eyes, and their beautiful smiles.

Walking back over to the three beautiful women, he said, “May I take that for you,” pointing to the empty platter.

Valia picked it up and handed it to him. Eyes sparkling like stars in the sky, teeth flashing, he gently took the tray from her. “Thank you, mistress,” he said and departed.

The hottest part of the day rolled by slowly. They still sweated profusely, even under cover of the large white tent. The young boy brought water regularly. If they went outside and tried to transverse this part of the desert in the hot sun, even a lake would not be enough water to revive a woman or man and their horse, they would be dead before the next rising of the moon. The desert was this terribly beautiful.

The day was cooling down in noticeable jumps. Especially with a light wind, it was almost bearable to exit the tent and check up on the mounts to make sure all was in order. There was a large white cloth slung from tent to tent affording protection from direct sunlight, a large pile of greens, looking a lot like alfalfa or hay, and several buckets of water, probably filled for the fourth or fifth time that day. The animals were standing head to tail, relaxed, swishing large black flies from each other’s faces.

Verifying all gear was still present and nothing had been stolen, Valia and Karish headed back inside. Saeran, not wanting to sweat any more than she already was, stayed to guard the gear. The boy returned, two large brown sacks slung over each shoulder, staggering to get through the door with all the items.

“Ma’am, here are your requested items. Will you require anything else?”

“No, this is all we need to reach the city.” Karish handed over enough coin to cover their night’s stay, boarding, resupply, food, water, and, of course, a little extra for the boy’s hospitality. The boy bowed, head almost scraping the ground exaggeratedly, turned and departed, a skip to his step. They would see the boy again when they returned back this way.

The setting sun rolled its way down the other side of the sky, rays blurring the landscape like a child’s mural. The three women traveled east towards the setting sun and the Toubot Clan’s city, if a city is what it could be called. The city had no streets, buildings, store windows, or much of anything else that would be considered city-like. Families lived in tents out in the desert, herding goats between scrub brushes. Goats and camels were utilized for every aspect of life, from milk to meat. Each family brought cotton-like sheets for overhead cover, laid their wares out for all to see, polishing a silver necklace here, wiping sand off a plate there, rugs strung between covers.

It would take Karish and her companions a full day of travel to reach the city, traveling the rest of this day and into the night, stopping only long enough to eat and supply water to their horses. Eyes lowered against the glare, the sun reflecting heat like waves, the horses plodding listlessly on, the heat unbearable even now, late in the day, cooler than it was before, they were still unaccustomed. Karish raised her arm over her eyes. The last of the sun’s rays departing this land, fighting to stay, lingering on the horizon, she was hoping to catch a glimpse of anything that might offer respite for a few moments, a small withered tree with enough dead leaves for cover. Even if it could not cover, it could be used as a pole to place up a light sheet for shade. There was nothing in the distance. She shrugged off the hopelessness of the heat, slowed, stopped and dismounted in one fluid motion, bringing water with her. She was not hungry and would not eat till midnight when it was cool enough to have an appetite.

Well-trained warhorses could be used for many things. Placing the mounts in a triangle, commanded to stay, they strung their cloth between saddle horns, securing them firmly. This would be their shade. They watched the sun descend below the horizon, bringing with it another noticeable drop in temperature. They sat, enjoying the respite from the sun and the long ride. Moments later, pinpricks of light began to appear in the sky. Karish could easily read the stars and was satisfied with what she saw. They had maintained their easterly direction and would be to their destination in short order.

“I want to reach our location before daybreak,” said Karish, as she wiped a drop of sweat from her lip that had annoyingly traveled from the edge of her hairline down. She tasted the salt on her lips. She knew that sweating and salt was a good thing, it was the person who stopped sweating who was in trouble.

Valia looking tired, stood up, looked at her companions with determination in her eyes, “I hate this trip. There is nothing more godforsaken than this country.”

Saeran grinned ruefully, “I second that notion.”
They were up and moving, speed their ally. They would reach their next destination before daybreak. Karish was bearing east, following the direction of the stars.
© Copyright 2005 Green Dragon (UN: jeanettebarnes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Green Dragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332907-Chapter-IV