*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/335991-Chapter-V
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #944515
Three colleagues make a perilous journey which brings real life and legend hand in hand.
#335991 added March 21, 2005 at 3:52am
Restrictions: None
Chapter V
They slowed up again, the fourth time that night, allowing the horses to rest. As the sun rose, spreading its pale pink glow over the horizon, the women suddenly saw vague animal-like shapes in the distance. As they traveled onward they could pick out goats nibbling at the scrub brush. Upon closer inspection, the herder was close by, a young boy under a hastily set up lean-to, eyes closed. Upon hearing the horses, his eyes opened, watching them intently. When they had passed, he closed his eyes again.

“We’re almost there. Did you look at the color of the lean-to? That’s the Toubot Clan colors. Ain’t I good?” Karish said boisterously with a laugh in her voice.

“Great, no getting her head through the tent today,” Valia said in response.

Slowly the horizon filled with activity. Squat white tents billowed in the midmorning breeze, goats nibbled scrub brush here and there, children were scattered everywhere. There would never be a large concentration of people in one place; they needed large areas of land for food and water.

Karish, Valia and Saeran quickly covered their faces. As custom dictated, no woman was allowed in public uncovered. The city came into sight sooner than expected, items for sale arranged by type, fresh fruit, nuts, spices, dried fish and meat all in one area. Farther into town, jeweled vases and candles laid out for all to see.

The three women dismounted. Taking reins in hand and moving swiftly through the streets, they received strange looks over their choice of mounts. Camels were more practical and substantially easier to keep alive in this environment. They had been up all night; this would only be a precursory look to see what they would barter for later. Most items worth anything would still be there when they returned.

“Saeran, there,” Karish pointed at a porcelain vase of exquisite design. “I’ll tap your hand when I see something. Let’s keep this as quiet as possible, the less they see what we want, the less likely they are to jack the price up on us and make us spend all day bartering to bring it back down.”

Saeran nodded in agreement and they continued. Valia, trailing, noted the gesture and the object indicated in that gesture. They kept walking, eyes pealed for thieves. The young boys were especially good at it, as seen the last time they traveled this part of the world. Karish closed the space between her and Saeran, tapped her hand and gestured toward a vender selling spice and fruit. It was fresh and free of flies and bruising. Saeran nodded and they kept walking. No one outside of their group noticed the gesture. Several more taps, a necklace, a plate, each time an inconspicuous nod of the head.

Karish walked on, now enjoying the smell of the market, the bustling atmosphere as vendors hawked their wares to the nearest buyer. She noticed a rare black pearl at a jeweler’s stand. It was about the size of the palm of her hand, flat and thick, the surface carved with a serpent, tail turning and twisting until it returned to the snake’s mouth, an exquisite piece. She reached back, tapping Saeran’s hand. Turning back to Saeran, she suddenly jumped several paces back, scaring Whispering Wind into a low buck, astonished she had just tapped a guy’s hand.

Karish, barely catching her composure, “I, I, I’m sorry,” she stuttered, “I didn’t mean to….” she trailed off nervously. He was a good-looking man. How did he manage to slip in next to her. A quick scan of her goods indicated none were missing. He hadn’t stolen anything, yet.

“Not a problem. I didn’t mean to startle you. I’m Deiondre of the Toubot Clan. You’re not from these parts.” He looked intently at her eyes and hands, the only visible skin.

“No, I’m a traveler from over the mountains to the west. I wanted to see the desert and its people.” She would divulge no more information than was necessary. “I must be going.” Saeran and Valia had taken note of the conversation, moving quickly to place themselves into an advantageous position in case they were needed.

“Wait! Don’t go. Have you found a place to stay yet?” Concern mirrored in his voice.

“Let me converse with my traveling companions.” Karish never trusted strangers, and she didn’t trust him. He was too quick to help. He wanted something, and something was probably not what she was willing to give him.

“By all means,” he responded back smoothly, his voice silky; silk that could easily slide in a deceptive thought to an unwary traveler.

Brushing by Deiondre, taking the two steps to her companions, “I don’t trust his intentions, but he has a point, we need to get out of the noon sun. We haven’t slept in hours; we need the respite. He says he knows of a place we can stay.”

“Great, lover boy trying to get our goods. Got it,” Saeran said with a shrug, “Let’s go.”

Karish turned back, Deiondre flashed a gorgeous smile her way. Wow, she thought, no man has the right to be that cute. “We’ll go, lead the way.”

He turned and motioned for them to follow, winding left then right, back through the town, leaving the vendors behind, making his way back out to the desert, suddenly cutting left between two makeshift corrals holding three camels, a horse and a jackass. He turned to make sure they were keeping up, winked and kept moving. It seemed like they walked miles before he slowed and pointed at several small squat white tents, small compared to the one they had slept in the night before. These had one pole holding up the center, similar arrangements for the animals in the center.

“This is it,” he said, flourishing his hand toward the arrangements, “This is home.” He continued walking, taking the last half-mile so fast the women almost stumbled over their gowns to keep up. They would have ridden but the mounts needed to keep their energy and the desert sapped energy like a viper taking a kill, slowly.

“My family runs this business. When I saw you, I didn’t think you had found a place to stay. You can have the far tent. It’s empty. The tent to the left is a bath tent. I’ll have the tub filled. The water stays warm in this climate, so take it whenever you’re ready.”

“You’re right, we need some sleep. Thanks for your hospitality,” Karish continued as the spokeswoman. She turned and walked toward the far tent, acting impartial, Valia and Saeran close by, leaving Deiondre standing by himself. He shook off the cold shoulder and moved toward his own tent on the far side. He would continue working his charm later when the women were more receptive. He knew they were more than just sightseers.

“He wants something, this is just too convenient,” said Valia, unsaddling Gray Ghost, a fine sheen of sweat under the saddle. She grabbed a brush sitting off to the side meant for just this purpose and groomed him.

“He seems harmless enough and pretty cute at that. He seems to like you, Karish,” said Saeran in her most innocent antagonistic voice.

“Don’t go there,” Karish intoned, as if chiding a child.

Finishing with the horses, they made their way to their personal tent. Quickly they peeled off their robes and headgear, feeling pounds lighter. Saeran, still dressed, flipped open the door and headed straight for the bath tent. The water would supply some respite from the blistering hot dry heat of the day. The women bathed then headed straight to bed, wares arrayed close by for security. They awoke several hours later, wind sending cool gusts of air through the window flaps. Stretching, they watched the sun walk its way slowly down the opposite side of the sky.

They dressed and headed over to the food tent, bringing their wares with them. Other travelers were already eating, talking amongst themselves quietly. The women found a free mat and low-lying table with hot tea and four cups. Valia sat down, grabbed a cup, pushing the extra cups out of her way. Saeran took the place to her left, filling her own cup quietly. Karish pulled up across from Valia.

“This is a nice place, I like the privacy, ” said Karish. “I’m glad we met Deiondre.”

“You know his name? That means only one thing,” Valia said giggling.

“Shhh,” Karish said, pointing behind Valia with her eyes and a slight nod of her head.

“Speak of the devil,” said Saeran, as the young man, no older than themselves took the last seat, grabbed the discarded cup and poured himself some tea.

“What brings you this way? You said you were travelers. If you would like, I could show you wonders none have ever seen of the desert people.” Deiondre continued in an excited voice, brushing soft black curls out of his face. He waved his hand and a young girl appeared carrying fresh fruit, bread layered with butter and spice, with cheese slivered in the shape of a flower. The young girl gently set the plate down, brown eyes smiling at each woman, long black hair braided down to her waist. She was young and beautiful. She turned away quickly by the same wave of his hand, moving with a hop and a skip back through the door, to come back moments later with a dish heaped with meat.

“She’s beautiful,” said Karish.

“That’s my sister, Mintala. She helps out once in a while,” pride was written on his face as he glanced in her direction. “There is a temple recently found. It holds secrets that not even the people know anymore. Would you like to see it? The temple is guarded but open for those who want to see it. You will never have the chance to see anything as exciting as this anywhere in the world, and I am a traveler as well.” He continued tossing out the bait. He sat there for a moment, thinking quietly to himself, there was a book, written in the old tongue, containing old magic hidden in the temple. He had already tried stealing the book once and was almost caught. Three beautiful women would be able to do what one man could not, he was sure of it.

Valia, screaming at Karish internally, tried not to look too excited. This was exactly what she had been looking for.

“Yes,” she piped up. Karish threw a warning glance her way.

“Yes, I would like to see it,” she continued, now calm and collected, showing barely any interest. “I read about the temple, and if we have enough time, I would like to see it. I am kind of a history buff myself,” she continued to play it off as nothing.

Too late, he had caught the interaction. “Beautiful, I’ll take you there tonight. Can I do anything else for you?” Karish shook her head no.

“I’ll come for you in an hour.” He swiftly rose, leaving his cup, only a sip taken, left for Mintala to pick up later.

“I don’t believe him. He would not show us wonders of the world without wanting something in return. Otherwise, I think he’s harmless,” said Karish, shaking her head in exasperation.

“Karish, he wants something, I can feel it. Whatever he wants, we are probably going to want it even more. I say we acquire whatever it is rightly,” Valia said, jumping into the conversation, eyes glimmering mischievously.

Karish shook her head slowly, “You guys are going to be the death of me.”

Their horses prepared, the three women were talking amongst themselves in their tent when Deiondre’s face appeared from behind the flapping cloth door, his smile gesturing for them to come out and enjoy the cool evening breeze and the flow of crimson painting made by the setting sun on the horizon. It was a beautiful evening.

They grabbed their mounts, fully rested, fed, watered, and ready to go. Deiondre brought his mount forward from their family’s personal tethering area, also a fine animal, a breed of desert stallion, thin, muscular, and high-spirited.

“Follow me,” said Deiondre, spurring his mount forward, dust devils swirling off his horse’s hooves. Karish, then Valia and finally Saeran spurred forward, staggering themselves to avoid the backlash of dust as it spun into the air like a tornado, ready to sting exposed skin. They were moving fast, the ride, smooth as horseflesh, moved over sandy ground, heading back towards town. They could see the tents and people in the distance moving towards them quickly.
Just before town they slowed, walking the mounts through vendors and their wares. Children and goats dashed underfoot. Each woman took care to not hurt or damage something that would cost them later.
Deiondre held up his hand, flashing a dazzling smile Karish’s direction, “Wait here, I’ll be right back.” He moved off, traveling through the middle of the town, leaving the women to wait and wonder.

“What is he doing?” said Valia, a puzzled look on her face.

“Who knows,” said Karish. “I still have to return home in a week and I can’t wait for him to play his little games.”

“I know what we can do while he’s gone,” Saeran said slyly. “Can you say two birds with one stone? If we have to sit here and wait, I suggest one of us look around and see if we can find a wagon and a couple of drivers for the return trip.”

“Right thinking,” Karish said. She turned and started to walk away. Looking back again, she said, “Wait for me, this won’t take long.” She turned and headed out the way she had come, avoiding a dashing child, mother not far behind. She had seen a vendor with a medium-sized wagon on the far side of town just prior to entering. She should be able to buy it and find someone to drive it. She would drive herself if she needed to. Exiting town she saw the wagon, a middle-aged man near it, probably the owner.

“Sir, can you help a young woman with a small wagon, something to pull that wagon, and possibly some strapping men capable of taking care of themselves to drive the wagon?”

“Good day, young lady. You ask a lot. The price is high for products made of wood. The mounts and men are no problem.” The vendor slowly walked over to the wagon, caressing the fine wood with his hand. “How about fifty coin for the wagon, twenty five for two mounts and the equivalent for each man?” He smiled his most charming smile, thinking of the profit he was going to receive from this young obviously foreign woman.

Karish lowered her head, acting the passive woman role, and in her most seductive voice said, “But, Sir, the wagon is small. It is worth only a quarter of the price you ask. The mounts are but two and they are old. The men are worth their weight in coin.”

“My lady, that is highway robbery. I would be giving you these items if I took them for that price,” his face reflecting shock, a look practiced over many years of trading. They haggled for almost half an hour. After the first two rounds, he knew she was no fool. He would only get what the items were worth. She handed the coin over in a small silk bag, he handed her a small handkerchief with his own colors on it indicating the items she had purchased. The deal was sealed. She smiled, he bowed in return, this was a good day despite no extra profit.

“Fair sir, I will pick up these items in a fortnight,” said Karish.

“They will be ready, fair lady.” He turned and went back to his lean-to, waiting for the next customer.
Valia and Saeran watched Deiondre return, he looked around suspiciously.

“Where is she,” he asked, looking genuinely interested.

“She said she wanted to see something and took off,” said Saeran in her most nonchalant voice.
Karish suddenly appeared, languidly sitting in the saddle, Whispering Wind selecting her own path through the crowded streets. She waved. She didn’t know how long he’d been waiting. She didn’t want him to know that once she obtained her wares she would be on her way, with or without the object at the temple that he seemed interested in. She finally reached them, bringing her horse to a stop next to Saeran’s, just waiting for him to say something, anything. He didn’t give her the satisfaction.

“There are guards, they protect the temple from thieves, but the temple is open for viewing.” He waved that off as not important and continued, “Here is the history behind the temple. Centuries ago we were once considered the original race of the lands and the world was ours to do with as we pleased. Magic created and destroyed the races at our whim. From that temple in the middle of this city we created the land as you see it now, with creatures both beautiful and hideously repulsive to roam it. There was a breaking of the oath between those who took care of this planet (us) and those who created it. No one remembers the specific cause. This rift caused us to be cast out, no longer able to create or destroy. We were now like the creatures we used to control.

“This story is told to children from generation to generation, the facts slowly replaced by myths, history no longer remembered except by those who are schooled in the special arts.” He pointed at himself for emphasis. His mind longed for the legend to be true. He had seen the book that legend spoke of during his first trip there, but it was heavily guarded. The book written in the time when his people used to use magic, that book sat dormant in the temple, just waiting for someone with the power to use it.

© Copyright 2005 Green Dragon (UN: jeanettebarnes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Green Dragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/335991-Chapter-V