*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/333482-Roberts-birthday-and-a-memory
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #912643
The storm clouds are piling high.
#333482 added March 8, 2005 at 4:21am
Restrictions: None
Robert's birthday and a memory
March 7, 1939, a special child was born. Too bad his parents didn't know.

During the day today, or rather yesterday now, the hospice nurse visited Robert, and talk about her buying another vehicle brought another of his memories to mind.

His first car was a 1948 Plymouth business coupe, one that he "dolled" up, his pride and joy. Each Friday that he attended Oklahoma State Tech at Okmulgee, he went home to the Panhandle or to Norman to ride horses for Leo Winter and drove through the city on NE 23rd. Each week he passed a school bus on the then-two-lane street/highway. Each week that bus driver remarked, "There's that black car again. That guy's going to have a wreck passing here." Each time, a sophomore girl looked out the window at the car as it flew by.

We didn't make the connection until over three years later that the driver of black Plymouth coupe passing my school bus each Friday was my husband-to-be. Life can be very interesting.

On his sixty-sixth birthday, I took him to dinner at his favorite place: Enrique's Restaurante Mexicano. I bought him a cake, too, but most of it will be eaten Wednesday when Randy and company are here.

God has given us forty-four of Robert's birthdays to celebrate together. I pray He will many more.

© Copyright 2005 Vivian (UN: vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Vivian has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/333482-Roberts-birthday-and-a-memory