*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/333489-Health-Matters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#333489 added March 8, 2005 at 5:19pm
Restrictions: None
Health Matters
When you analyse it, health is really all that matters, yet many of us abuse ourselves despite the warnings. I had a very 'health related' day yesterday which took me through a range of emotions.

Firstly, hubby visited the doctor to ask for some advice about his nose which has been doing a fine imitation of a trombone for the past few months. While he was there, the doctor suggested he take his blood pressure. It's high - no surprise to me but a shock for him. I don't nag him about his health as my lifestyle can hardly be described as sensible but I have commented that maybe he eats too much red meat, uses too much salt and doesn't really need great chunks of cheese half an hour after his meal. I usually get told to mind my own business. But once a doctor offers advice it's law, so he's now being paranoid about the whole thing and will go to extremist lengths to solve the problem. Sometimes I think it's better to have ostrich syndrome; what we don't know we can't worry about.

At the supermarket I queued behind Mrs Organic. I inspected her purchases on the conveyer belt; everything, including bread, coffee and even the humble turnip was labelled 'organic.' Call me a cynic but where's the proof? What's the actual definition of shop bought organic food? Anyway, I finally examined Mrs Organic herself and decided if that's what organic food does for you I'll stick with processed. She looked like something the cat had dragged in; something dead at that. Just call me a bitch.

Most annoying and frustrating is the state of this country's health service. After spending days preparing for my father to go into hospital, shopping for them, collecting medication, planning my arrangements around visits etc, the hospital phoned yesterday afternoon and casually announced his operation for this morning has been cancelled. Well, this is only six times and he's a mere eighty-five and can take all this stress and confusion. The government are announcing plans to fine hospitals when they cancel operations. What bloody use is that? Hospitals are struggling with funds and patients will still be left waiting so what sort of solution is that? Negative as always, I despise the negative way our politicians approach issues with stupid big grins on their faces. I'm not a political animal but sometimes I could murder the lot of them.

I took a new cigarette packet from the cupboard. Yes I know 'Smoking Kills' No need to print it in gigantic letters on the pack, how positive an incentive to stop is that? 'Smokers die younger' - another weird statement. Younger than what? Dogs, cats, elephants? Younger than who? Children with Aids, road accident victims, their parents, spouses, offspring? Excuse me, I have my sarcastic head on; I just get totally pissed off with the attitude of those who think they'll live forever if they follow the rules and the lack of positive help for those of us who have an addiction. Smack, smack, you're naughty and we're going to make you a social outcast.

No reflexology this morning. My ex-boss has his mother staying with him and she has Altzeimers. My friend Gillian can't make it either; her mother has dementia and had a fall at the weekend, resulting in them spending hours at Casualty and no help from Social Services. I'll meet my mum this afternoon though, if she can remember where and when and I'll try and support my dad while he waits for another date for his operation. Smokers die younger? My cynical side says maybe that's no big deal looking at old age and the way it's handled in this country.

When I started this blogging I intended it to be a light hearted laugh, but sometimes life just takes over. Now where's that clown outfit I was promised yesterday?

© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/333489-Health-Matters