*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/342134-Larks-And-Owls
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#342134 added January 15, 2013 at 7:35pm
Restrictions: None
Larks And Owls
I often wish I was a morning person; full of zest at the start of the day and ready to sleep before midnight. But, I firmly believe we are born pre-programmed in some ways and whether you are a lark or an owl is determined by some unknown force. Maybe it has something to do with the time of birth - 11.59pm in my case.

All my life I've found it difficult to wake up in the morning and just as difficult to force myself to bed at night. Not working now it isn't a big issue as such, although there are some mornings still when I need to be functioning at a reasonable time. Tuesday is one of them.

Hubby is a lark by nature. He's always up first and even when we worked he rarely had a lie in during holidays. I accept that. When I worked, I obviously had to hit the sack at a fairly acceptable time as I had to get up early, but I'm not a great sleeper at the best of times, so it was never easy. Retirement means I can stay up as long as I like if there is no reason to get up early the following morning. Or it should do! The problem is that hubby's decided he's an owl too and as long as I stay up, so will he! But he still gets up early, so in actual fact he's burning the candle at both ends if you'll excuse the cliche. It catches up with him every few nights and he'll fall asleep in the chair. Fine for getting a bit of peace and quiet, but not pleasant when he wakes up and starts being grumpy. I can imagine you readers thinking 'Does this woman never do anything but criticise her husband?' 'Does she ever give the poor chap a break?' but for a long time now I've had such a lot of anger and nowhere to vent it and I make no apologies for sounding off in here. It straightens my head somewhat and enables me to remember events and maybe gain some answers along the way. Friends tell me I should write a novel about my own experiences; if I ever decide to then the research is here. Anyway, I digress.

Last night I played a few games of Scrabble but none of my friends were online. Chatted away to hubby about the solicitor's visit, the elections, holidays etc with no aggro or disagreements. Decided to pay one last visit to writing.com and felt I needed to send a last minute review. Typed about four words...

"Who's there now?"
"No one,. I'm typing a review."
"Oh I assumed someone was there with all that typing."
"Then you should learn not to assume anything."
"I thought it might be Sarma. She usually comes on about this time." (Aussie friend)

Five minutes later, Sarma did sign in; we haven't chatted in a while. Informed the Mafia that she was online. Another five minutes passes; I'm feeling tired but don't want to appear rude and disappear almost instantly before I've heard a little of Sarma's news.

"Are you ready for bed, missis?"
"PARDON?"
"Don't you think you should go to bed, you have to get up early tomorrow."
"So do you."
"But I'm not the one who feels ill. If you're that unwell you should be in bed. Don't blame me if you feel like shit tomorrow." Said goodnight to Sarma before I bust a gut and went upstairs; too annoyed and wound up to sleep of course. Hubby right behind me; fifteen minutes in the bog, another ten in the bathroom, gets in bed and starts snoring before his head hits the pillow. Don't know why I'm bothering with new curtains and bedding in our room; I seem to spend most nights in the spare bed!

I don't feel great today, but my gut instinct tells me it's more from agitation than lack of sleep. I'd only been up five minutes this morning before the onslaught began. I'm NOT a morning person; I like to be quiet then; after twenty odd years you'd think he might have noticed.

"You seem a bit better, you're not coughing as much."
"The coughing concerto in D flat major will commence in about twenty minutes if you wish to stick around to hear it." My wit is wasted at times.lol
"My stomach's off this morning."
"Maybe YOU should go to bed earlier." Meeoowwww.
"You know I didn't mean it to sound nasty; I'm just concerned about you."
"But you treat me like a naughty child and I just don't like it."
"Don't be silly!" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh God, aren't I boring? lol




© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/342134-Larks-And-Owls