*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/342569-the-comedian
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#342569 added April 21, 2005 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
the comedian
This happened last Sunday evening...i am just now getting it down.


It’s Sunday evening. I’ve worked seven days straight, my brain has lost all parts of logical thought. The Braves are loosing. I’m going to sleep. (I’m in a Holiday Inn Express in Tifton Georgia.) So, I pull the covers up over my hear in an effort to drown out the baseball game and its constant announcement that my team is losing. Who really wants to watch? A commercial comes on and I think I hear the word. “Marco.” . Before I even realize it, I have said ‘Polo’. Bear in mind, I’m overworked, seven days in a row. (just incase you missed it a few sentences ago.)

Laney, who is lying on the bed next to me. On top of the covers, rolls over and pulls the sheets off of my face. ‘Mom?” she asks, pausing for a moment. I guess for dramatic purposes. Who knows what motivates a teenager. “What did you just say?”

Slightly embarrassed, but too tired to care, I told her why I said the word ‘Polo.’

She thinks this is funny and starts to giggle. (FYI according to Laney, she never giggles. However, it sounds like giggling to me. So, therefore, I will refer to it as such.)

Since giggling is contagious, I partake – even with a tired brain.

“So, when I can’t find you. And you’re back in the laundry room. I’m gonna yell ‘Maaa-cooo!’” She puts her stretched out hand next to her open mouth. Like some people do when they are yelling.

I have stepped up my giggling and am now chuckling. So has she.

She makes a few jokes, about us being in different locations, the grocery store, the tennis center, stuff like that. “Maaar-cooo1” she keeps softly yelling.

Now, we are both outright laughing.

“Mom. Mom. Mom.” She taps me on the shoulder. She has an idea and really wants to share. “Remember that comedian? The guy who did the bit about English people not carrying any weapons…even the police?

“Yeah.” And even though I remember, she reenacts if for me. “Red Rover, Red Rover, send the criminal right over.” Both of us are hit with an uncontrollable fit of laughter as we remember the bit.

Laney, the comedian has more to add. You’re standing outside a building with a hostiage situation, just say – and up goes the hand – ‘Maaar-coo.’

More laughing. Why am I forking so much money into tennis? When she’s already solidified her comedian status?

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/342569-the-comedian