*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349448
Rated: 18+ · Book · Drama · #972265
A young socialite finds her stuck between two men and deciding what to do with her future.
#349448 added May 25, 2005 at 9:48pm
Restrictions: None
Interesting Attractions

“Flight 4957 from Atlanta, Georgia is coming in at gate 12.” Sean Holden heard over the P.A. system at the Miami International Airport. Clavel’s flight had been delayed when she transferred planes in Atlanta and Sean had been stuck at the airport for two hours. When her plane finally came in, it was nearly 10 p.m. Clavel was tired from traveling all day and was looking forward to settling into a nice warm bed.

When Clavel walked off the plane and through the welcomed humidity of Florida’s early summer air and into the terminal, she had no idea who she was looking for. The only contact she had had with Sean up to that point was on the phone for about an hour a few days earlier. Sean told her to look for a man in a red shirt and jeans, but as the crowds from her flight cleared, she looked around and didn’t spot a man in red anywhere. She decided to go on to baggage claim, and page him after she got her bags.

Clavel stood by the carousel, she had spotted her bag summing out of the luggage shoot and was waiting for it to come around. A young man maybe a few years older than Clavel stepped up beside her, he pointed to the large navy blue suit case Clavel obviously had her eye on and said,

“Is that your bag?”

“Yes” She turned to look at the man. Clavel felt all her breath depart from her body and her heart nearly stopped. She blinked fiercely, thinking her eyes were deceiving her. She shook her head in an attempt to wake herself up, thinking perhaps she was still sleeping on the plane. Clavel looked back the carousel, she had lost track of her bag, had it already gone past? Before she could think of what to do, next the young man spoke again.

“It looks pretty big. Do you want me to get it for you?” Clavel looked towards the young man again, opened her mouth like she was about to say something, hut nothing came out. She stood there staring into his beautiful ocean blue eyes. He smiled at her and as the suitcase went by, he scooped up the huge bag. Clavel felt overwhelmed, she could have melted at his smile alone, such great lips making sparkling white teeth. Then as he took her bag off the carousel with what seemed like an effortless motion, Clavel felt faint. “Just point out your other luggage and I’ll get it for you when it comes around.” The young man said, looking at Clavel. “Are you are?” He asked. Calve had been staring at him in complete vacancy fro nearly two minutes. However, at the sound of his voice, she snapped out of her trance.

“Oh, yeah. I’m fine. Thank you. I must really be tried.” She waited for a few moments, checked the carousel for the rest of her luggage; half hoping it wasn’t there so she might spend more time with the gorgeous stranger. After being revealed her baggage hadn’t appeared yet, she collected her. She thought even though she had always been a sucker for a brunette she was engaged now and quite happy with her fiancé. She thought however, there’s nothing wrong in making a new friend. I don’t mean to be rude, but who are you exactly?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m so used to everyone knowing who I am I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Sean Holden.”

Miami Beach, where Sean and his family resided, was only a twenty-minute drive from the airport, but it seemed never ending for Clavel. During the ride, Sean tried to make small talk, but all Clavel could think about was how she embarrassed herself at the airport and how attracted her was to him. She cursed herself for even thinking about another man, while Michael was at home waiting patiently for her. She found herself glancing over at Sean across the car. Tall, dark and handsome, Sean was the perfect man. Clavel didn’t want to like him, not in a romantic way, but she did. She chalked up her interest in Sean as an interest in something new, she’d get used to him, or at least she hoped she would.

“I know it’s getting late, but do you want to stop and get something to eat.” Sean asked breaking the silence.

“I would love to, but I’m really tired.” Clavel answered.

“I understand I just thought you’d be hungry. I don’t suppose they fed you on the plan.”

“Nothing, but pretzels.”

“Well, look if you’re really tires, we can always pick-up something and take it back to the house. I just though this would be a nice chance for us to get to know each other before we get to work tomorrow. I like to know the people I’m working with.”

“MMMMM, ok, but let’s not stay out too long.” Clavel couldn’t believe what she was agreeing to. All she wanted to do as get into a nice, comfortable bed and give Michael a goodnight call. Now she was going to get a bite to eat with a man she hardly even knew, late at night in a strange town. She looked over at Sean; he shook his head in approval and said,

“Great, I know this wonderful little restaurant that stays open late. Do you like Seafood?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” Sean flashed Calve a smile. From the corner of her eye, Clavel thought his smile looked almost devious, as if he had some secret agenda that she didn’t know about. Clavel just smiled back and tried to enjoy the ride.

About twenty minutes later, they pulled up to the front of a beautiful bluish-green restaurant. As the valet opened the door and helped Clavel out of Sean’s Lexus convertible, she could smell and hear the ocean that was a minutes walk away. Clavel looked up at the sparkling lights that outlined the building exterior. Sean came up beside her, noticing her checking out the décor.

“It’s nice isn’t it? I told you it was. My family and I come her often.”

“You said it was small.” Clavel replied. He put his hand on the small of her back to guide her into the restaurant. Clavel almost jumped out of her skin. Sean tipped the valet and continued,

“It looks bigger than it is.” They ascended the short flight of stairs and through the painted glass doors into the restaurant.

“Welcome, Mr. Holden. It’s good to see you again. Your usual table I presume.” The seating hostess said. Sean nodded graciously. She grabbed a couple menus and led them to a dim-lit, secluded room at the black of the restaurant. There were only a few tables decorated formally, a small dance floor with a black baby grand piano seated next to it and the entire back wall was a window that looked out onto the ocean. She led them to the table right in front of the window and motioned for the piano player to begin a number. Sean pulled out Clavel’s chair and waited for her to sit. Clavel watched him walk around the table, she knew nothing about him, yet he seemed like a gentleman. He sat across from her and took a menu from the hostess. “May I offer you the wine menu?”

“No!” Calve exclaimed as if she were insulted. The night was going strangely enough as it were; she didn’t want to add alcohol into the mix. Both the hostess and Sean stared at her for a second or two; Sean gave Clavel another devious smile and looked back at the hostess,

“No, thank you. We’ll just have some water for now.” The hostess shook her head and in understanding and left the alone.

“I’m sorry about that. I just don’t want to drink, if I’m going got be working tomorrow.” Clavel explained to Sean.

“Don’t worry about it. I completely understand.” Clavel opened her menu and flipped through a few pages. The hostess soon came back with their waters,

“Should I send a waiter over in a few minutes?”

“Yes, thank you.” Sean replied. As soon as the hostess left the table once again, the only sound that could be heard in the room was the tune of pianist softly playing in their ears. Calve couldn’t help think how romantic the restaurant looked and with the live piano music, it was the perfect setting for a fanciful dinner. Sitting across from her was a very attractive stranger who up to that point had been very sweet and nice to her. I she weren’t already taken she would have given into the atmosphere.
“So what time do you start in the morning?” Clavel asked. She wanted to turn the atmosphere into a work environment; if she could.

“Business is for the office. Just enjoy yourself now. Let’s get to know each other.”

“Ok.” She wasn’t happy, but she could play along.

“So, you just finished at Vassar, huh? What do you plan on doing next? Or are you one of those women who calls it quits now?” Clavel gave him a look as if she didn’t understand the question. “You know are you gonna get married, pop out a couple of kids and stay at home or are you gonna work?” Clavel felt extremely uncomfortable. He had been so nice all evening, though it could have only been her impression from the lack of conversation. She couldn’t believe he’d asked that question, it was so personal and a little offending.

“Well, she began, but heard a ringing coming from her purse that rested on her lap. Saved by the Bell, she searched for the cell phone and answered. “Hello?”

“Hey, sweetheart. How are you? I miss you already.” Michael said on the other end of the line. Clavel had forgotten all about calling Michael, she felt guilty. She excused herself to Sean and turned around in her chair, so he couldn’t see her face.

“I know I forgot to, I’m sorry. I miss you, too.”

“I know you probably busy settling in. How are these people? Are they being nice to you?”

“Yeah, he’s nice, but I haven’t actually settled in yet.”

“But I called the airline, your plane got in almost an hour ago. Where are you?” Michael was beginning to worry.

“I’m at this beautiful restaurant in Miami. You should see it honey, you can see…”

“What are you doing there? What’s going on?” Michael interrupted.

“After Sean picked me up from the airport, we stopped to get a bite to eat. Then we’re gonna need back to his place.”

“That doesn’t sound right. It sounds like you’re on a date with this guy. And ‘his place’ I thought you were going to stay at his family’s home?” Michael asked sternly.

“Michael, I’m not out on a date. We’re just getting to know each other. That’s all. Besides do you really think, I’d cheat on you?”

“I don’t know, would you?”
“Michael!” Clavel was dumbfounded. She had no idea where his accusations were coming from. He sounded so faithless.

“I’m sorry, Clavel I didn’t mean that. I might have had a little too much to drink at dinner. I trust you. I really do.” there was a long pause on the phone. Michael had said some other cruel things to her before when he was drunk and she had let them go. But this time Michael didn’t sound drunk.

“Yeah, listen honey, go make yourself some coffee and I’ll call your secretary to come and check on you in the morning. OK?” Clavel said, trying to forget his previous remark.

“You don’t need to call my secretary, I’ll be fine. Besides she doesn’t even know where I live anyhow.” Clavel thought over his words.

“Wasn’t she there just a few days ago?” Clavel remember the woman’s voice on the phone.

“No, Sharon’s never been here.”

“You told me she was at you apartment when I called the other day to tell you about my trip.” Michael thought about for a while.

“Oh, yeah. See, she doesn’t come here often so I forgot.”

“Right. Look baby, I got to go, I’ll call you in the morning, ok?”

“Ok, I love you.”

“I love you, too.” Clavel hung up the phone. She turned to face Sean again.

“I’m sorry about that. That was my… that was Michael.” She didn’t want to tell him she was engaged, she didn’t want him to know she was one of those women he referred to in his question.

“So you have a boyfriend?” Sean asked almost gloriously.

“You can say that.” Clavel answered, still wanting to keep that part of her life a secret from him.

“I see.” Sean replied with a smile as he motion for the waiter to come over. Clavel could tell it was going to be a very long summer.


© Copyright 2005 Emily Neal (UN: youngny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Emily Neal has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349448