*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/353698-Yellow-and-Green-Paint-and-a-storyline
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#353698 added June 14, 2005 at 6:19pm
Restrictions: None
Yellow and Green Paint and a storyline
My office is a total wreck. I’ve been painting all day long. Oh, wait. STEVE and I have been painting all day long. I’m not much into painting and Steve loves to gloat his knowledge about proper painting procedure to me. So, when we have brushes – or rollers in our hands, he is acting supervisor. The good thing about relinquishing my supervisory card is that I get to hold the Whine Card! Being a whiner, I’m elated at the opportunity. Plus, it does feel good every now and then to let someone else have control.

Today was my second painting day with Steve; we painted my office sometime back in March. I had forgotten all about the ‘card’ thing. We were a bit slower starting than I had hoped, but by the end of the day, I was soooo ready to quit. Tomorrow’s go time will be pushed forward in honor of today’s realization that Robin can’t handle a full eight hours of painting. (She is too old.) Steve says this is an excurse and today’s activities do not warrant the Old Card. Yeah. Right. Whatever.

Besides being physically pushed to the limit. Remember, Robin does have T.O.S, Steve’s a funny guy so I enjoyed joking with him. Steve is an artist and had originally wanted to go to some college in Savannah. However, somehow and I’m unclear as to how, he ended up doing premed at Mercer, with a minor in art. I’d sleep better at night – knowing my physician could design and paint the company logo onto his office building. He also is a runner. He competes for his school. Track meets. He has referred to tennis tournaments as such – meets – I mean. This always makes me laugh. But not out loud. I have corrected him, but not every time.

Today I learned that Steve isn’t really a reader. Since I’m a writer, I can’t image life without books to read. He says he’s gotten more into it lately, but never really liked reading in school and furthermore, his dislike motivated him to b/s his way through lit class. And while he didn’t plagiarize, he was very good at summarizing, and finding a different way to say what had already been said.

I said, “You’d make a good writer than.”

He shot me a confused look, pale yellow paint on his chin, “Huh?” he failed to see my point.

“Cuz.” I said, as I dipped my paintbrush into a can of not my favorite green color paint. “Everything that’s written has already been said before. In some form or fashion. You could take an existing story and change the names, characters, and setting to make it your own.”

“aaaahhh.” He said, in a tone I’ve only heard Steve do. “I get it. Like I could take Oedipus and change it around.”

“Yeah, instead of the mother, it could be the—“

“Sister!” He jumps in.

Then we started chatting about how we’d change the story. Maybe not the sister, but the grandmother! Omg! Reminds me of a Jonathon Irving book.

Anyway, I’m glad I’m finished painting for today. I have about two days of it left. Maybe I’ll be an expert by then. Painting and Plot Re-arranging.

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/353698-Yellow-and-Green-Paint-and-a-storyline