*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357347-Supreme-Court-in-Dire-Straits
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #942302
Sunflower's Blog
#357347 added July 2, 2005 at 9:21pm
Restrictions: None
Supreme Court in Dire Straits
With the resignation of Justice Sandra Day O'Conner, opens the gate for the Republican majority to transform the spirit of the nation as we enter the Twenty-First Centrury.

By self-admission, I am a liberal. I believe that women ought to have final say over what happens with their bodies and procreation. I think marajuana ought to be legalized. I believe that one person can make a difference. My views are my own, developed through my conscience.

I fear that the court will be packed with ultra conservatives, with much older people who don't have a grasp of where the nation stands in its conscience. That Justice Clarence Thomas, Mr. Pubic hair in the Coke joke, often rules on my side gives me little consolation.

If one divided those living into four generations, it is true that the eldest may be the wisest, and have had the most world experiences in forming what is considered wisdom. Wisdom, as truth, is different in different people's eyes. It is the purpose of the Supreme Court to decide upon the actual law's application, and enforce what laws have been written already and accepted to date.

With the outbreak of radical conservative religious zealots, I fear that my morals won't be in line with the law. Now, I'm just left of center, I feel radical left-wing will become my label. I fear that my conscience won't adhere to the laws of the land, worse than already.

With two projected seats for President Bush to fill before the year, the power over years and years into the future is in his hands, and the hands of those who will support or reject his nominees. Do we have a new representative in the United Nations yet? We don't need a hot-head there.

I don't trust Ashcroft or Rumsfeld. When Colin Powell left the political arena, I lost respect for what the President is doing, and why he does it. As with the Vietnam replay, I fear a Nixon replay at hand--if the public pays attention and speaks up.

But, God Bless American, anyhow--the best nation in the world! Happy Independence Day!

Watch Bono fight AIDS and poverty in Africa, tonight on ABC--what a concert!
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357347-Supreme-Court-in-Dire-Straits