*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357690-Happy-Birthday-America
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#357690 added July 4, 2005 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
Happy Birthday America
As I mentioned yesterday, post Wimbledon Monday is 'doom and gloom' day and as it's grey and cool, it's an added excuse to have a good grump. In view of the date and the proud entry made by Dan yesterday, I'd like to share a moan I have about my situation.

I've written in an earlier entry about the difficulties I experienced recently on returning from Rhodes. Passport control informed me I need a certificate of residence to prove I live in England. The control officer concerned stated it would be far easier if I applied for British Citizenship which would then entitle me to a British Passport. Easier maybe, but far more expensive and in my mind, a disrespectful suggestion.

Last Friday we went to see our local M.P., Geoff Hoon, who also happens to be the government's Defence Secretary. Mr Hoon has strongly supported the U.S. in the war against Iraq. However, he seemed unconcerned about my plight and I found his attitude rather flippant and unheplful. He admitted his knowledge on the subject is scanty as it's not an everyday problem but his advice definitely leaned towards applying for British Citizenship. "Nothing is more annoying than standing in a queue at an airport behind someone with a foreign passport," to use his words. I doubt Mr Hoon has to queue behind anyone other than Mr Blair or the Queen but if he thinks that's a good enough reason to give up my American passport, then that makes me just dig my heels in further.

My mother is English but counts for nothing in this equation, which is very annoying to both of us. My sister was born here so has none of my problems, despite having the same parents. I was brought up in England, have worked here, payed taxes and National Insurance. I've lived here, travelled here, married and had a family here and met all my relatives here. England is my home but it holds no intrigue, mystery or pride for me.

The fact is my father is American and it means a lot to me that half my roots are in the States, despite not remembering or ever visiting the country. (YET!) I wish I was more familiar with the country where I was born but am I wrong to not want to give up my rights to be an American citizen? Most of my relatives are on that side of the pond, sadly I've never met any of them but they are as much a part of my family as any in England.

If Mr Hoon and passport control think I should dismiss all this and simply cough up hundreds of pounds for the 'honour' of being British, then they can think again. At sixteen, I tried, unsuccessfully to take out British Citizenship in order to acquire my first passport and it's an experience I do not wish to repeat. After eight months of gruelling interrogation, police visits, form filling and phone calls I was informed by the Home Office that if my father's reasons for not applying for British Citizenship were political, my application could be refused. With two weeks to go before my planned holiday, I told them where they could put their British Citizenship and travelled to London with my father. Within hours I had an American passport with no hassle whatsoever. All my dealings with the American Embassy here have been pleasant, efficient, fast and friendly. What is to say that a second application to The Home Office wouldn't result in the same treatment? Why should my father and I give up our American birthrights at this late stage? Apart from being able to vote and avoiding airport queues I see no other advantages for my money.

Besides, in a perverse sort of way, I like being different. It amused me on arrival in Rhodes when the sleepy Greek on passport control was suddenly handed a blue passport as opposed to the hundreds of red ones he'd just glanced at. He became very alert, tapping heavily on his computer keyboard, inspecting every page of the passport, double checking the photo, (Do I look like a terrorist?) and finally heavily stamping the necessary visa. But it was no big deal and only took a few minutes, Mr Hoon.

It annoys me intensely that had I been born in Germany (or any other European country) and lived in England, I'd have had no problem returning and wouldn't have to pay a penny to stay here. England has far more in common with America than any country in Europe yet because of EU regulations I now have to pay a significant amount to remain here and be allowed to go on holiday again. Unless of course I take a vacation to the U.S. - who'd be standing in a queue then Mr Hoon? Not me, for sure. Getting this sorted is proving a very long, time-consuming, difficult and expensive procedure which we could well do without. I realise I cannot argue with the law, but we all know what the law is!

I admire all those who have participated and supported the Live 8 concerts and hope some good will come out of it. The message that this is one world and we all belong to the same human race comes across clearly through these events yet petty beaurocracy dictates that in order to stay in a country I've lived in for 54 years, I must pay heavily and be considered a nuisance. I intend to continue being a nuisance; I've had plenty of practice! Maybe I can be the estranged American/rejected Brit columnist in Nada's Newsletter?

I apologise for the length of this entry; I wouldn't blame any readers who've given up or fallen asleep but it's an issue close to my heart. To the citizens of the U.S.A I wish you all a wonderful July 4th and join with you in saying 'God Bless America.'

© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357690-Happy-Birthday-America