*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358396-Empathy-for-the-English
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #942302
Sunflower's Blog
#358396 added July 7, 2005 at 9:19pm
Restrictions: None
Empathy for the English
I'd been in bed for about 36 hours with a migraine. It's always difficult to wake up and get into the swing of things after a multi-day headache. When I saw on the noon news that there had been a series of major bombings in London, it was even more difficult to come to realization of a new day.

I was wishing I were still asleep, and that things that had happened were just a bad dream. I feel knocked flat, like the wind has been knocked out of me. But this has nothing to do with me, except as another resident of earth.

The sisterhood between Americans and the British goes back far beyond my memories of the "British Invasion." More importantly were the unions of World War I and World War II. The dissection of just over two hundred years ago doesn't matter much, except in the history books. Americans, mostly, are of British stock, European stock. As much as the people, are the ideas that we hold. . . the things we view as important, things we are willing to fight for.

Tony Blair and President George Bush have spent time together at the Crawford Ranch, as well as the White House, and in the UK. That these two gentlemen should be in meeting with six other countries' representatives regarding the tragic situation that is day-to-day life in Africa, is no coincidence. Terrorists will jump on the bandwagons we build.

That doesn't mean we need to stop any celebrations. We don't need to stop reaching for those we all can help. But once again, we are reminded that this century houses a mankind that is divided. The division will continue unless we stand for our freedoms, use them properly, and support those who have the best interests of the planet in their hearts.

Hating will not heal this divide. Hating people we don't even know won't make peace. We have to work past the hate of others, build on our similarites, and lap like a wave at the insidious evil of the terrorists. Positive actions must eventually obliterate the evil of terroism.

As "they" throw destructions at us, may we somewhow find the love of "The One" in our hearts. The beginning of the book A Course in Miracles says "The opposite of fear is love." The opposite of love is fear, but there is no comprehension of the void that is lack of love.

I pray for those who have lost loved ones, and those who have been injured, as well as for all those souls who will again find fear at the forefront of their lives. There will be peace, and only peaceful actions and reactions will insure that.
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358396-Empathy-for-the-English