*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358502-There-but-for-the-grace-of-God
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#358502 added July 8, 2005 at 11:58am
Restrictions: None
There but for the grace of God.
I'd like to thank everyone who has sent messages and kind thoughts out to the victims of London. Only by standing together will we ever rid our world of these kind of evil acts. Meanwhile, the death toll continues to rise.

The R.E.M. concert on Wednesday evening was not as enjoyable as anticipated. It was a bitterly cold evening for July, rain lashed down and a cool wind whipped through the stands of the football ground. From our seats near the back, the figures on stage were unidentifiable and the sound distorted. Our son, who was actually on the pitch near the stage, reported it was much clearer from there. A shame, but not the fault of the group. I love their music, particularly the more well known numbers like ''Losing my Religion,' 'Imitation of Life, 'The Lifting,' and 'Everybody Hurts,' which is close to the top of my all time favourites, not just for its lyrics but for its haunting melody.

Yesterday passed in a blur with the terrible news, but today, despite the horror and continued reports of victims, 'life goes on' to use a terrible cliche. I've cleaned the bog, watered the plants, been to lunch with my ex-colleagues, made up some hanging baskets and typed up a poem for Nada's Newsletter. What else can we do after such tragedy but try to carry on as best we can, resume a sense of normality? But never will we forget these awful events.

I walked back from lunch through the local woodland. Birds and squirrels darted away as they heard my approaching footsteps. It saddens me they can't know how much I love them and that I'd never harm a hair or feather on their heads. But fear and caution is their natural instinct and sadly it seems to be heading the same way with humans. I used to feel safe in the woods with my dog, despite the fact I knew what a wimp he was and would probably have deserted me at the first hint of danger. Now, as a woman walking alone in a lonely spot I am very aware of my vulnerability and the chance that a mugger, rapist or murderer could be lurking nearby. Our outdoor sheds and garages have to be locked and chained, our homes and cars alarmed, our cities policed to protect the innocent from drugs, drunks, thugs and criminals.

As I think back to Wednesday, sitting in that huge stand amongst thousands of people, milling around Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago amongst different thousands, flying on a plane recently with yet another large group, it doesn't take much to imagine the sheer horror, blind panic and utter helplessness of being a victim of a disaster, either natural or created by insane criminals. It's a thought I try not to dwell on but only by chance do we become a victim or not. And how tragic that wherever we go and whatever we do, we are never guaranteed safety or protection from the evil caused by deranged maniacs.

I suppose it's the time to impress upon ourselves yet again to take one day at a time sweet Jesus, to appreciate and enjoy each moment as it arrives. Our hold on this life is precarious at the best of times, but in a world as unsettled and uncertain as ours is right now, it seems of even greater importance. Why people cannot live together in peace and work towards a better planet for all lifeforms I'll never understand. I'm a simple being I know, but I still have to ask every single day WHY these atrocities not only continue but seem to increase.

Time to make a cuppa - biscuit or no biscuit? In the light of my serious entry, I think I'll live dangerously and have two. Throw caution to the wind, who knows what might happen tomorrow?

© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358502-There-but-for-the-grace-of-God