*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/359465
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #989995
A classical sci-fi novel, with everything from aliens to starbattles
#359465 added July 12, 2005 at 8:35pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 8
Eighty student fighters were already back at the main base. Orion waited impatiently behind a ground-rampart with his laser ready. Two more green-colored students ran in, carrying a third with them. Three more of Orion’s soldiers ran to assist in bringing in the wounded to the medical facility, where the rigid suite would once again become supple, allowing movement, and therefore “life.”
         Orion fired as three purple soldiers cautiously peered above a metal structure. He scored a direct hit on the head of one, completely solidifying the body.
          “I think that everyone who is going to be here is here,” Scarth said. “The rest are probably frozen too close to the enemy base in the cafeteria.”
         Orion nodded. “Have the army re-divide into platoons. Order ‘toons one and two to remain behind and guard the base. The leader of ‘toon one is in charge. Have the other six come with me. You’re in charge of toons three, four, and five. I’ll take the rest.” Scarth hurried off to relay the message.
         In minutes the army was assembled. Orion shouted the order, and sixty fighters swarmed over the various metal bulges, aiming at and firing upon any enemy soldiers they saw. It took almost no time to arrive at the enemy base with only two losses. There were only thirty soldiers guarding the base.
          Orion split off a small section of ten soldiers, the equivalent of one platoon, from the rest of the army and had them assault the main entrance to the cafeteria, distracting the enemy, while he brought in the rest through the two back doors. Soon they would have the purple medical facility disabled, and after that, it was entirely mop-up…


         Tournia was on her way back from the planet C-N3, where a skeletal team of miners was now producing the refined trilithite, when her ship picked up a distress signal. As head researcher of her team, and technically at the top of the ship’s hierarchy, she was the first to be told by the captain.
          “You say it was sent from within the Union space?”
          “That’s correct. We think that there may be a significant hole in their defenses, enough to allow a small break in the anti-tachyon grid. Thus we have a window, small, to be sure, through which we can receive transmissions.”
          “Have you alerted the Bonscouts?”
          “Yes, but their nearest ship is four days away. The message is already a few days old.”
          “Very well. Set a course. See if you can locate that hole and move through there.”
          “Yes ma’am.” The captain walked out of Tournia’s quarters.
         The Andrew almost turned a full one-eighty degrees as it made its new destination the Union blockade.

*           *          *

         Three hours later the Andrew entered orbit around the moon whence the signal was coming. A small away team was sent down to the sight where the escape pod had landed. They returned in half an hour with one passenger, who was in critical condition.
          “Bring her to the medical bay,” Tournia instructed as the team came in from the launch bay. Two people who had been waiting nearby hurried the semi-asphyxiated soldier to the small facility.
          “Report,” Tournia said, imitating the military style she had picked up from Orion.
          “The pod was all but out of oxygen. She probably had less than an hour to live. It looks like she blacked out about six hours ago, and most likely suffered minor brain damage.”
          “Thank you. Return to your duties.” The away team walked off.
         Tournia walked to the sick bay. “Tell me when she wakes,” she instructed the doctor. She left for her quarters.

         It wasn’t much later when Tournia received the call from the doctor. She arrived in sickbay only a couple of minutes after the patient had woken.
          “Hello. Maria, right? You’re one of Orion’s friends from Acadamy, unless I’m mistaken. No, don’t try to get up, you need to rest.”
          “Where am I?” Maria managed to voice.
          “You’re on my research ship, the Andrew. We’re heading back through Alliancic space now. We’ll arrive at Toan in approximately five days.”
         Maria nodded, then closed her eyes and fell asleep. Tournia walked away from the bed.
          “How’s she doing?”
          “As far I can tell, she suffered no permanent brain damage. The oxygen deprivation wasn’t too great. She should be fine within the day.”
          “Good. Keep me informed. I’ll be in laboratory 2 if you need me.”

*           *          *

         They Neyna had remained on the far side of the catapult, unwilling to risk going back through, in case the other end had been captured by the Union. They had been unable to ascertain from the Federation what the status was, and thus had decided to do what they had originally planned, to the extent that it could still be done.
         The Neyna entered orbit around the dry planet. One of the suns of this system was setting behind the globe. The main view screen in the mess hall, which doubled as a briefing room, was filled by the orange mass.
          “Scans are showing that its surface is approximately eight percent water, mostly concentrated around a small valley. The planet is habitable around that area in a radius of close to fifty grasecs.” Seedo zoomed in on the region. “We’ve detected signs of a sentient species living there, but they are probably still entirely planet-side. The species is not in the Federation data base that we acquired.” A picture of one of the creatures now rotated on the screen. “They are carbon-water based, liked us, and undergo photosynthesis in their skin. Scans show that about half of the animal life is similar in this regard. The other half uses cellular respiration. There is no vegetation, and only limited amount of algae and other monerans.”
          “Thank you, Seedo. Spar, have you anything to add?”
          “Yes. We’ve also detected a very small amount of Carlexi at one of their cities. It possible that these Carlexi are not part of the Federation. However, it means that these people have been exposed to space-side species. Thus it should be fine if we were to send a shuttle down to greet them.”
         Orion nodded. “Very well. Tano, try to contact them on any frequencies that they may be able to use. Seedo, Eguria, you will accompany me on the away mission. Dismissed.” All twenty-eight crewmembers left to prepare for the mission.
         Orion walked into the exobiology lab, where Spar was already working. “Spar, have you found anything else out about these people?”
“Yes, they have created artificial satellites, and appear to be on the brink of a space age. They have developed nuclear technology, and are using it to power most of their cities. I’ve also detected numerous airports, as well as a couple of seaports along the ocean. It appears that they have quite a trade network amongst themselves. I’ve managed to intercept some of their communications, and the computer is currently deciphering their language.”
          “Good work. Send the language translations to Tano when you’re done.”
          “Aye, sir.”
         Half an hour later, Tano had not managed to contact the resident species, So Orion, Seedo, and Eguria got ready to head planet-side. The three waited inside the launch bay while Scarth performed a final check of the shuttle and oxygen suites.
          “OK, you’re all clear, Captain. Good luck.”
         Orion nodded, then stepped into the small shuttle. Eguria and Seedo followed. Scarth headed back to the airlock, and the launch doors irised open. The shuttle lifted off the low-gravity deck and flew out, angling upward relative to the ship in order to begin descent through the planet’s gravity.
          “Sir, which city should we head for?” Eguria, who was sitting in the pilot’s seat, asked.
          “The second largest. The biggest one is probably the capital, so it will be the most hectic, but we also need a large population to introduce ourselves to.” Eguria nodded and made the necessary course adjustments.
         A small burst of flame erupted from the shuttle’s nose as it skimmed the atmosphere. “Slow us down, Eguria. Take it nice and easy.”
         Orion snapped a small metal band around his neck. Seedo looked at him quizzically.
          “It’s a sub-vocal communicator. It lets me talk with the Neyna without actually making any noise,” Orion answered Seedo’s unasked question. He put a small skin-colored plug into his left ear. “Technically, it’s contraband back in Allianic territory because of its size. The radio transmitter is too small to be detected, and can easily interfere or intercept other communications, but the Alliance decided to outfit me with some useful gadgets before we left. This particular piece was confiscated off of a trader’s vessel.”
          “We’re coming around dayside,” Eguria said. “We’ll reach the lake in about twelve minutes.”
         Orion nodded. They emerged into the sun, and the front window automatically polarized to compensate for the brightness.
          “Sir, I’m detecting two objects approaching at high speeds. They appear to be supersonic air ships. They’re powered by fusion engines.”
          “I see them,” Orion said, looking down at the screen on his own panel. “I’m trying to get a visual.”
          “Sir, they’re on a crash course. Impact in one minute.”
          “I have a visual, captain,” Seedo said. “They look like anti-air missiles! Eguria, take us up.”
          “No, wait. Get us as low as possible. Scan’s show that they’re space-capable. They’ll follow us no matter where we go, and there’s no way we can outrun them. I’m bringing weapons online.”
          “Impact in five seconds. Our altitude is point 2 grasecs.”
         The shuttle shook violently as the first missile hit. The window fully polarized, blackening out the interior for half a second.
          “Shields are down. Hull is scored but not ruptured. The second missile will impact in ten seconds.”
         The window imploded upon the passengers. The engines exploded, demolishing the rear half of the shuttle. The alien atmosphere rushed in as the remains of the craft plummeted the six hundred feet to the planet’s surface.

*           *          *

         Tournia sat in the small reception room at the legislative building, called the Curia, on Toan. Maria was in the medical center a few grasecs away, getting a brief check-up on her condition. She had managed to recover well from the oxygen-deprivation and was now very vibrant.
         A light on the secretary’s desk flashed. “Carla Laos will see you now.”
         Tournia nodded and got up. She walked into the office of the Alliancic Leader and sat down where the authority motioned.
          “Hello, Tournia. I’ll be brief. As you may or may not know, your fiancé’s ship, the Neyna was sent to the Andromeda Galaxy a couple of months ago.” Tournia nodded. “However, since then, the catapult which made this trip possible has been captured by the Union. I can see in your eyes that you know what this means. Orion Terone may not be able to return back to Alliancic space for over seven years with the engines he currently has equipped. The Warring branch is planning to make an attempt to get a signal through to the Carter Region, where Orion should be, informing him of the situation.
          “You can send him a letter with this signal, if you wish. The ship carrying the transmission will leave in two days. If you could get the letter to me by then…”
         Tournia nodded. “I’ll send it to you tonight. I’m sure, though, that he has probably already figured out that there’s something wrong, and has come up with a way to get home.”
         Carla smiled sympathetically. “Of course. Thank you for your understanding.”
         Tournia sensed that the interview was over, and got up to leave.
          “By the way, I’m sorry about the poor funding that the council has given you. It is a shame that the Warring branch is now getting half of the profits.”
          “Yes, of course. What a loss you have suffered,” Tournia said without turning around. She left the room and returned to her apartment.

*           *          *
         
          “I’ve lost the shuttle on sensors,” Spar reported from the science lab to Scarth on the bridge. “They disappeared about ninety grasecs from the edge of the lake.”
          “Did you receive a landing signal from them?”
          “Negative. But I did detect two objects intercept them before they disappeared. It’s possible that they were shot down.”
          “Can you confirm that?”
          “No, sorry.”
          “Very well. We’ll take the Neyna down. It has far better defenses than the shuttle. All hands, prepare for atmospheric maneuvers. Shields up. Arm all lasers and torpedoes.” Scarth cut the com-link. He returned to the helm from the captain’s chair. “I’ll take us down. I have more experience than you with this ship,” he said to the temporary helmsman.
         The Neyna activated her vertical thrusters, heading down towards the planet, then flipping around upon reaching strong gravity so its bottom now faced down. It descended slowly, straining as hard as it could to keep from accelerating too fast.
          “Transition from artificial gravity to real gravity in one minute,” Tano, now at the tactical station, reported.
         The Neyna started to move forward once it was lower than five grasecs from the planet’s surface. It ran smoothly across the barren landscape, completely stopping its vertical descent.
          “We’re eight grasecs from their last reported position,” Tano reported.
          “Acknowledged.”
          “I’m detecting multiple ante-air missile launches ten grasecs away. Torpedoes and lasers are locked on to the missiles.”
          “Fire when ready.”
          “Two down. The explosion from the nearest one disabled the second. Lasers are taking out the third, fourth, and fifth. Sixth one is down as well. I’m detecting more launches now. They have a total of thirty-four in the air.”
          “Just aim and shoot. We can do this.”
          “Three more down. We’re one grasec from the shuttles last sight. Six more missiles down.”
          “Launch torpedoes as soon as we’re in range of the missile launchers.”
          “Eight more down. They’re closing fast. Four more. Another four. They’re only ten seconds away! Seven more down.” The Neyna shuttered slightly as the last two missiles struck.
          “Shields are at seventy-three percent. They’ve launched twenty more missiles. I’m loosing the torpedoes now.”
          “Arm all missile and bomb arrays. Give them everything we’ve got!”
          “Aye. We’ve taken out twelve more missiles.” The ship shook again as the other eight hit. “Shields are at twenty-one percent.”
          “Take out the remaining missile launchers as we fly overhead, then circle around and return to the shuttle’s last coordinates.”
          “Aye aye.” The Neyna dropped eight bombs as it flew past the missile launchers.
          “Missile launchers are out. Turning around and scanning for wreckage.” The ship made a long, slow arc through the air as it turned. Without warning, the ship shook violently and slid sideways through the air, heading downwards.
          “Tano, what was that!?”
          “It looks like they have radar-invisible missiles. Shields are down and port vertical engines are offline. We’re falling. Altitude is six hundred feet. Three hundred. Brace for impact.”
         Dry sand sprayed up as the Neyna hit the ground. Metal screeched as the hull was torn off by rocks and metal ores scraping relentlessly against the ship.
          “Tano, report,” Scarth said once the Neyna ground to a halt. The sand which the Neyna had disturbed was now whipped up by a rising wind, creating a small sandstorm. The main view screen appeared a dark brown.
          “Vertical engines are offline. Bomb tubes are offline. Torpedo tubes three through eight are offline. Lasers offline. Missile tubes one through eleven offline…”
          “Just tell me what’s online.”
          “Life support and secondary power relays.”
          “Damn.”
          “The launch bay was smashed in by the impact as well. We can’t use the other shuttles.”
          “So basically, we’re stranded on a hostile world filled with hostile people.”
          “Yes, but I do have some good news. The wreckage from the first shuttle is about one thousand feet away.” Scarth nodded.
          “Well, that’s something, at least. Send a team with a medic to the wreckage. See if the captain, Seedo, and Eguria are still alive. How’s the medical bay doing?”
          “Mostly smashed as well, but the auxiliary medical bay is still functional. It may not be as effective as the primary, but it’ll have to do.”
          “Fine. Get a tally of all the crewmembers killed or injured.”
         The sandstorm was beginning to die down now, and the main view screen, between intermittent flashes of static, displayed six dark figures hurrying to a small mass not far off. They paused at the wreckage, then returned quickly.
         Scarth got up and headed to the airlock, now missing its outer hatch. The six crewmen approached the damaged door, and Scarth opened it for them.
          “Report,” he said as soon as the door had closed again, blocking out the remains of the sandstorm.
          “We couldn’t find them. No bodies, no organic remnants- nothing except a few drops of blood. We did see some patterns in the sand. They looked like land-rover tracks, but it might have just been ripples made by the sandstorm.”
          “Fine. Get cleaned off, then head to the mess hall.” Scarth turned to leave.
          “Sir, was the cargo bay damaged? We might still be able to use the Stingray.
          “The cargo bays are on the bottom deck, next to shuttle bay. It’s doubtful that they survived, but I’ll check.” Scarth headed for the small tunnel that led down to the bottom of the ship. He climbed down four decks before he felt sand under his feet. He turned on his wrist-light and looked around. All of the power relays this far down had been completely demolished. The sand underneath the ship had been partially melted and re-solidified into glass. Moving the light to his left, he noticed that the corridor slanted slightly up.
         He trudged up the dark hallway until he arrived at the door he was looking for. He pulled out the small handle at the edge of the door and forced it open, pulling it with every ounce of strength he possessed to the left. He slid through the two-foot crack and examined the damaged cargo bay. A small container had exploded in the corner, leaving a black mark on the wall. Crates and boxes lay scattered throughout the floor.
         He swung the light up, and saw what he had hoped that he would see. There, suspended above the wreckage on three tenuous cables, was the Stingray. The other seven supports had snapped, leaving the small fighter listing dangerously to one side. The external doors to the cargo bay lay on the back wall, completely bent and useless.
          “Sir,” his comm reported. “Tally of casualties completed. Eight injured, but none are critical. Twelve crewmen not accounted for, probably on the bottom decks.”
         Scarth felt like responding with “Anyone I know?” but felt this wasn’t the time for jokes. He kept his mouth shut. He forced the door closed behind him and climbed up one of the snapped cables to the wing of the craft. He gently stepped onto the hull, attempting to minimize the dangerous rocking, which could bring the Stingray crashing to the ground. He gently palmed open the hatch to the cockpit, and stepped inside.
         He brought power online, then slowly lifted it loose of the grasp of the cables. He brought it around to face the demented back wall, bringing the weapons online.

*           *          *

         Tournia stood at the entrance to the military complex on Toan. “I would like to enter,” she said to the guard.
          “What is your business?” he replied indifferently, barely even looking up.
          “I would like to see Admiral Hadrmagar.”
          “Do you have an appointment?”
          “The secretary wouldn’t give me one.”
          “I’m sorry then, but you cannot see the Admiral without an appointment.” The guard looked up to see a small Tesla hand laser pointed at his face.
          “I afraid that won’t work. I have a personal shield protecting me from laser blasts. All it will do is get you arrested.”
          “Look, I don’t care if I get arrested,” Tournia half-shouted at him, “Just so long as I see Hadrmagar. Now, I’m going to go in, whether or not you let me.”
          “I’m afraid that’s impossible. You don’t have a key.”
          “Don’t I?” Tournia pulled out Orion’s warring diskey, which he used only at formal ceremonies, and thus left in their apartment on Toan. Tournia swiped the key across the door lock and the door slid open. She ran down the hall to where Hadrmagar’s office was, hoping that the security would be slow in catching up with her.
         She swiped the diskey again at the door to the Admiral’s office, and bounded inside. Admiral Hadrmagar, who had been sitting at his desk, stood up at this uninvited intrusion.
          “Who are you? You cannot be in here. Get out!” he shouted in indignation.
          “My name is Tournia, I’m Orion Terone’s fiancée.”
          “That is no excuse. You will have to leave immediately.”
          “Look, I need a fighter to…”
          “Definitely not!” The doors opened and three security guards came in. “Because this is your first violation of military laws, and because I can understand your anxiety at Orion’s absence, I’ll wave any charges. But you must leave.” He nodded to the security.
         She nodded and walked peacefully out of the complex, followed closely by the guards. She smiled to herself, she had seen what she needed to.
         As soon as she was out of the complex, she returned to her skimmer and flew it up above normal flying limits. She headed to the military’s airspace, and received a warning transmission. She responded by the code which she had seen the Admiral punch in to call the guards in his office, and headed towards the impound launch-pads.
         She landed and looked around quickly for a suitable craft. She settled on a sleek craft, probably of Carlexi make, and ran over to it. She swiped the diskey on the jury-rigged lock and climbed in, activating the engines and lifting off before the bonscouts noticed anything. She smiled at the acceleration as the small craft flew up out of the atmosphere.
         Two ships lifted off behind her, and one moved to intercept her in orbit, but she out-sped all three and made the jump to Delta Space, setting her destination for the middle of the territory belonging to a species the Alliance knew almost nothing about, and certainly had no treaties with other than a basic pact of truce. Checking the ship’s systems, she was glad to see that it had powerful weapons. Even if she couldn’t use them properly, they might deter some less powerful predators.
         She settled back and prepared for the re-emergence into Phoenician space.
© Copyright 2005 Pogacsas (UN: phoebos88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pogacsas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/359465