*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360358-Things-Can-Only-Get-Better
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#360358 added April 22, 2014 at 6:59am
Restrictions: None
Things Can Only Get Better?
It seems the Murphy who hangs around Nada and I lately is capable of crossing the Atlantic at amazing speed. He's back on my side of the pond. Maybe I'll start another debate by assuming Murphy is male. (hiding in corner, trembling)

Yesterday didn't really improve my stroppy sulk. The problems I am having with the benefits and passport seem to go on and on. (like me, I know) Until the passport situation is sorted I cannot leave the country again so booking another holiday is out. In some ways I wish we hadn't coughed up the money as a protest; it would have been interesting to see what the authorities would actually DO about it.

Yesterday morning the benefits agency sent me a copy of their assessment and reasons why they've decided to withdraw my allowance. There are a lot of factual errors in this document and some pretty insulting comments too. That did nothing for my low self esteem or mood. I feel a sarcastic letter coming on.

Instead of enjoying sister's company this weekend I've had the usual trials of being with mother dear. (play music from Jaws again) Don't get me wrong, she's my mum and I love her very much but she really can be a handful and there are added problems as she ages. She's a 'one off' for sure and I suspect they broke the mould after they made her. My sis and I are contemplating putting a clause in our wills requesting that if either of us turn into our mother we be shot, with no charge of murder for the person who pulls the trigger. So, on a glorious sunny afternoon I sat inside a dingy pub while mother took two hours to get down her drink and told me her life story for the tenth time in a week. She hates hot weather and refused to sit outside, even under the shade of a parasol. *Pthb* Actually, she hates all types of weather; we've decided the one she likes hasn't yet been invented. I love sunshine and heat; to waste what little we get in this country is a crime in my opinion, but according to mother it's been hot for AGES. (a week actually)

Anyway, I survived and spent the last of the evening sunshine outside before returning to WDC. In an effort to get myself writing again I edited a short piece I wrote for class recently and posted it in my portfolio. When I returned to edit it a little more, some kind person had already given it a well below average rating. I know I've voiced this before as many of you have, but getting an anonymous low rating really makes my blood boil. It was only a silly little piece of free writing but had been well received by my class and the tutor. I'd never rate or review anonymously, I see no point. If something I read is chronic, I leave it alone. Even if someone asked me to review something that was awful I'd find it hard to hurt their feelings. I may only give it an average rating but would pick out the positives and hopefully give constructive advice. If spelling, grammar, vocabulary and style were all fine, I'd make allowances for that even if the subject matter wasn't for me. Without sounding arrogant I KNOW my work is not below average and resent reviewers who just click a low rating and offer no reason. I seriously believe the 'anonymous' option should be removed. Make the cowards give an explanation for their hurtful reviewing. I know it's all been said before but it wasn't what I needed yesterday.

And to put icing on the cake I've started with a cold. *Cry*

Now if you've ploughed through all that self-pity and negativity I'd like to end on a positive note. You readers are quite right; the best place to be cheered is amongst you lot. I have been totally uplifted and amazed by the wonderful collection of items I've perused last night and this morning. Let me list them!

1. Nada's wonderful blog entries, always so full of lively information, so warm-hearted, entertaining and despite her problems with Murphy, her wonderful humour always shines through. What a darling this lady is.

2. Forever's article on suicide and bombers. The intelligence and eloquence of this brave and wonderful lady never fails to amaze me. I'm so pleased I was guided to her by you people.

3. Mavis's competition. What a clever lady she is too and such a brilliant and fun idea for a comp. It will cheer me up no end to see those workstations.

4. Dan's map idea really impressed me. I'll look forward to joining him on that project. My geography is rapidly improving with reading about locations and lifestyles in different places from the words of real people as opposed to text books.

5. Tor's hilarious blog entry about the English language and the stock market. Where this brilliant and funny man gets his ideas I don't know but keep 'em coming, they're great. I'm also thoroughly enjoying slowly reading 'Bygone Heart' - it's a wonderful story and his talent overwhelms me.

And here I break the habit of a lifetime. Big Breath....

6!!!!! Breeze's story 'Confidence Man.' It's a stunner! So unusual, great style, snappy phrasing and a very clever storyline. This lady has talent; in my opinion this story is well worthy of publication.

7!!!!! And last but by no means least, our exceptionally talented CC. His painting is awesome, his blog and comments hilariously entertaining and his story 'The Old Oak' one of the sweetest things I've ever read. It brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. Thanks Tor for dragging this guy onto the site.

Not forgetting my other talented friends too but there have been no additions to their blogs or folders since yesterday so I can only comment on what I've read since then. You're a whole bunch of thoughtful, comical, gifted and special people and I'm honoured to have found you all. Yep, you're right this IS the place to come and be uplifted; I just wish it didn't mean sitting on my backside so long!

Sorry it's been a long entry but I felt I wanted to thank you for cheering me up. But now...it's time to visit my parents. No doubt I'll end up sitting in a darkened room with the curtains drawn to keep out the sun, doing a jigsaw. I may need seriously cheering up again later!

Oh, and lastly, it struck me how like Raven my stepdaughter's dog is. We're looking after him this weekend so I took a couple of photos.







© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360358-Things-Can-Only-Get-Better