*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360733-Eyupmeducks
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#360733 added January 22, 2013 at 6:42pm
Restrictions: None
Eyupmeducks
Reading all the entries of my favourite bloggers and deciding what to respond to is like opening a box of chocolates - I want them all! So many entries recently have been so inspiring and thought provoking it's difficult to know where to start. We only need look at the number and length of comments left to see how much interest and spin off comes from the thoughts of others. Sadly, there is never time to cover everything.

Breeze mentioned how the different pronunciation of words can be irritating. Then I got to thinking about Dan's map with all those pins showing the different locations of members. The one thing we have in common is we all speak the same language, (Okay, there's one speaks a language all of his own) but how differently we all speak it.

When I went to Nottingham on Friday to meet my sister and didn't, I picked up a little book from the Information Centre called 'Nottingham - as it's spoke.' There are several volumes but I just bought the first one and here are a few examples of Nottinghamese with translations...

1. Initt koad?

Don't you think it's chilly today?

2. Koppoadonitt.

Please take hold of this article.

3. Justarkattit.

It is raining heavily.

4. Mekkit ga bakkuds.

Put the car in reverse.

5. Worreewee izzsenn?

Was he alone?

Not that I ever speak so commonly of course. One has one's reputation to think of doesn't one? But I just wondered how differently we'd all sound in reality. Enniroadup ah's got ta tek me mam ta booza. Tarra fer nah.

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360733-Eyupmeducks