*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366492-Dilemma
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#366492 added August 16, 2005 at 6:48pm
Restrictions: None
Dilemma
Continuing with the theme from yesterday, I'd appreciate some advice from you wise people. As I stated, the plights of other people always leaves me humbled and pensive and I'd like to think I have it in me to help out where I can. I support various charities, mainly animal ones, but will do the best I can to help any people who cross my path and are in need of assistance. I'm no Mother Theresa and I don't expect recognition for any kindness shown; it should, as SS said yesterday, come naturally to show we care. The downside of this is there are those who will take advantage of a soft nature and opportunists who will play on our emotions.

In the past I have suffered a lot of hurt and made many mistakes, both in personal matters and on a larger scale. It has taken me a long time to realise not everyone is honest, pleasant or trustworthy. I admit I've been vulnerable and gullible and have suffered for it on many occasions. I hope I'm learning as I get older. But a small matter is bothering me and I'm in a dilemma as to what to do. I've often been called a born worrier.

I used to belong to a website where you could make 'friends' to communicate with. I pulled out of it a bit back as I don't really have time and am not really interested in communicating with strangers if they have nothing in common with me. But before I left the site I was contacted by a young boy who claims he lives in Ghana, is orphaned and cannot afford to be educated. Of course, being Soppy Scarlett, I responded expressing sympathy but also asking how he has access to a computer.

Well, the reply tells me the young man and his younger brother wash out toilets, bathrooms and sweep floors in order to be rewarded a little time to use a computer in an internet cafe. They describe their home as an unfinished building with no door or windows and their lives as very hard, having to wash dirty clothes at the wasted people refuge, to buy food. They even included a photograph of two young emaciated looking black boys. The written English in the e-mails is poor, there are many religious references, and as yet all they have asked for is contact and prayers.

Now, my HEART tells me here are two young unfortunates who are looking for communication from the outside world to brighten their terrible lives. My HEAD says this could be anyone, anywhere in the world who is devious enough to compose pitiful e-mails and download photos of underpriveliged kids. The CYNIC in me expects the request for money may be lurking around the corner. I'm not well off, but by the side of these boys I'm filthy rich. Not that I think I'd ever send money to something I wasn't sure is a genuine case.

They want to hear from me again and I'm torn. Unfortunately, we live in a world where it's hard to trust people, particularly via the internet, but I'd feel terrible if I cut them dead if they really are in this situation. What do you think? What would you do?





© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366492-Dilemma