*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366264-Someone-Elses-Shoes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#366264 added August 15, 2005 at 1:05pm
Restrictions: None
Someone Else's Shoes
When I went to bed last night it was all quiet on the WDC front. This morning I woke to find so many of you had been busy during my night. Entering your lives and worlds while I drink my first cuppa has become a wonderful ritual to start the day; even if I cannot always get round everyone or have time to 'blog' myself.

Having to leave to do the weekly supermarket shop annoyed me a little, but thinking of your own entries as we perused the aisles has given me food for thought. I realise I am deeply affected emotionally by what I read. My heart goes out to CC with his problems and I hope we'll hear better news soon. I empathise and feel concerned over members with ill health or mental disorders. I admit too to feeling envy at times; not the nasty green jealousy type, more the regrets that I'll never live in a house like Nada's or be involved in a village community like Mavis, be young again like Rebecca, share the special relationship that some of you couples have or enjoy the scenery and weather of a pleasent location. But I can imagine what it would be like to spend a day in your shoes.

The News of the aircrash in Greece has shocked and horrified me. Every tragedy, be it the size of the twin towers or as small as an ex-pupil of mine being killed by a train a couple of weeks ago, has a powerful effect on my emotions and I cannot help thinking what the victim's last thoughts and feelings were. Then the devastation for friends and relatives left behind threatens to overwhelm me as I imagine how they must be feeling. I would certainly not like to be in their shoes.

Every day we take chances and make choices. I know I risk my own health with bad habits, I'm aware there's a potential danger in most situations in life, but on the whole we assume we'll still be here tomorrow. For some, tomorrow never comes, if you'll excuse the cliche. As Dan very wisely often points out, each day of good health, safety and pleasant experiences is one to treasure.

I know I grump about trivia; manpiles, stereo cricket for the past four days, kids in swimmimg pools, parent caring, the weather - you name it, I've probably grumped about it and most likely will continue to do so. But seeing and hearing the trials and tribulations of others, I have to appreciate that despite my feet sometimes aching and suffering the odd blister or two, maybe my own shoes aren't so bad after all.

© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366264-Someone-Elses-Shoes