*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368432-New-Horizons
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#368432 added August 24, 2005 at 11:54am
Restrictions: None
New Horizons
We had some friends over last night and got round to the subject of books. I commented I don't seem to read as much since I took up writing. I miss going to the library to choose new books; I've so many unopened paperbacks in my bookcase waiting to be read. And when I read novels nowadays, much as I can still become totally immersed in the plot, I find myself analysing and dissecting the writing style which tends to irritate me at times. Still, there's a downside to everything and most of the time I'd rather be actively involved on WDC than sit alone with a novel.

A few weeks ago, I discovered one of my friends who's had a lot of problems in life, has written quite a few poems. She asked if I'd read them and give my opinion, a task I didn't really relish if they were going to turn out to be crappy! But Jane is very musical, intelligent and amusing, despite her difficulties so I imagined they'd be acceptable at least. And they are; clever, witty and demonstrating talent she finds it hard to accept she has.

So, of course the subject of WDC cropped up and she's quite keen to give it a go and I personally think it may do her the world of good. Sometime in the near future I'm going over to her place to set her up with a free account and see how she gets on with it. During the conversation she asked what I'm doing on the site at the moment. (apart from prattling in blogs) Well, it was quite a revelation to myself to discover just how many novels of differing genres I'm reading, reviewing and thoroughly enjoying.

A war story, a western, a fantasy, an erotic tale *Blush*and an autobiography containing a lot of harsh animal stories. I would NEVER choose any of these topics from the library or a bookstore, but I think it's helping to expand my own horizons and because of the quality of your writing, is teaching me that subject matter maybe isn't that important if a tale is well told. This is far more meaningful an experience than catching up with those paperbacks gathering dust in my bookcase. No, I'm not missing out on anything after all; I'm gaining knowledge and am branching out in new areas thanks to you lovely, talented people.

She then asked if I'm reading a book at the moment. Yes, I replied, 'The fastest way to write your novel.' Trouble is, I don't have time to read it at the moment. lol

© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368432-New-Horizons