*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368651-Entry-25
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #994563
No purchase necessary.
#368651 added August 25, 2005 at 2:23pm
Restrictions: None
Entry #25
What a mess! Traffic was a bitch this a.m. It took 1 hour and 20 minutes to travel 5 miles. From where I live there is one highway into town and the same highway out. When something happens…you’re fucked! I heard on the radio that an 18-wheeler had flipped over and that only one lane was open. There are no gas stations or stores of any type on this particular stretch of highway. I had no cell phone or pager so I couldn’t contact work to let them know. I did however, happen to pull up next to one of the buses that transports to our school. I yelled out the window for the driver to please radio their base and ask their base to call my school and let them know I was stuck. It just so happened that the phones at work were down so I couldn’t have contacted them either way.

As I was sitting in traffic with my windows down, I could smell the distinct smell of other cars overheating and hear a bunch of squeaking brakes. Sheesh! Get a brake check! If it makes me nuts to hear other people’s brakes……you’d think it would bother the actual driver of the faulty brake vehicle. (unless they’re deaf, then they don’t give a shit) There were several cars passing on the shoulder kicking up dust on those of us who were more patient. I wondered if some people were in a panic thinking they might run out of gas. I was happy I had filled up yesterday.

As I sat and waited, I thought of a few things I was grateful for…….

• Grateful for a new car that didn’t overheat or have squeaky brakes
• Grateful I had plenty of smokes and a huge cup of coffee
• Grateful I had gas
• Grateful to Stevie Nicks and Janice Joplin for their tunes
• Grateful for the country scenery
• Grateful to the local DJs, Sam and Bob, who kept me laughing
• Grateful for the early morning Texas breeze
• Grateful I had a pencil and tablet to jot down my thoughts
• Grateful that Texans are friendly
• Grateful I was stuck in traffic in the a.m. not the p.m. Will be 101 degrees today
• Grateful that Zoo was 30 mins behind me in the same traffic. If something were to happen…..I could just stand on the side of the road, like a hooker, and wait for him to pass so I could flag him down.
• Grateful for the dirty truck drivers who deliberately pulled up and stopped next to my car so they could stare at my boobs and legs…..I got an ego boost
• Grateful I didn’t have a watch (I would have obsessed on the time)
• Grateful for the 12 hours of sleep I got last night
• Grateful that the airport was near by so I could watch all the planes take off
• Grateful it wasn’t me who flipped over on the highway

Marv

© Copyright 2005 -- Marv -- (UN: marv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
-- Marv -- has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368651-Entry-25