*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372283-121204---The-Bicycle-Ride
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#372283 added September 11, 2005 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
12/12/04 - The Bicycle Ride
The Bicycle Ride
By: Robert Watson



“Can you teach me how?” Ryan asked his older brother, looking up at him with pleading eyes.

Matt sighed and hopped off the rusty bicycle, sweat glistening on his forehead. It was a scorching afternoon in late July and the hot sun beat down on them both. “I guess so,” he replied. “We'll practice in the grass. You could get hurt on the sidewalk.” Matt knew well enough how clumsy his little brother was.

“Okay!” Ryan said joyfully, grateful that he was finally going to learn to ride like the big kids.

Ryan positioned his bare foot on the bike pedal and managed to climb up onto the seat. Matt held onto the bicycle to keep it steady and slowly guided them over the lawn.

"Pedal with your feet and steer," Matt instructed.

Ryan's feet fumbled on the pedals and he almost lost his balance before he set them right again. “Let go,” he commanded. “I can do it now.”

“Are you sure?” Matt asked. “We're coming to the hill now. Once we get there, I'll give you a push and you can try to go down by yourself.”

“Okay,” Ryan agreed. He gave Matt a quick thumbs-up.

With one final push from Matt, Ryan raced down the side hill of their property. He began to panic.

“Matt, help!” Ryan screamed his lungs out. The bicycle careened down the hill and Ryan attempted to get the bike under control.

“You're doing fine!” Matt shouted back. He raced down the slope after Ryan.

Ryan got into the correct rhythm and cruised down the rest of the hill and across the neighbor's yard. “I did it!” he shouted. “I can ride a bike now!” He felt as if he had made the greatest achievement in the world. “Can I do it again?”

Words: 300
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372283-121204---The-Bicycle-Ride