*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372286-121304---Broken-Promise
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#372286 added September 11, 2005 at 9:25pm
Restrictions: None
12/13/04 - Broken Promise
Broken Promise
By: Robert Watson



“Father, please forgive me!” Prince Rhudyn pleaded with the god, kissing the stone floor by the deity’s mighty figure.

“I will not,” roared Tyromus. “You have deceived me. I asked you to keep a secret and you failed. Get up off the floor, Rhudyn. Make yourself presentable to a god.”

Rhudyn slowly got to his feet and prepared to take the punishment that he was bound to receive for betraying the most revered gods in all the land. It wasn’t entirely his fault, the wicked woman Calypatrus had given him the finest of her wines and seduced him into spilling his secrets.

“Rhudyn,” Tyromus bellowed.

The prince looked up at Tyromus, frightened. He wrung his fingers nervously and his eyes darted about the temple.

“Rhudyn, remember that talk we had a long while ago?” Tyromus continued. “When I first turned you immortal, do you remember what I told you that you must never do? Look at me when you speak.”

Rhudyn remembered very clearly, as if it had happened only the day before. “I must never tell anybody about my immortality or abilities, or else they will be taken away from me,” he replied, his voice quivering.

“And now that a mortal knows about your extraordinary gifts, I have no choice but to return you to your previous form,” he replied gravely. “I’m very sorry to do this, truly I am. You have helped the gods and the kingdom numerous times, and this was your reward for proving yourself as a valiant prince. However, part of our trust has been broken.”

Lightening flashed in the sky, hitting Rhudyn directly in the chest and knocking him to his knees. He screamed as he felt the searing pain. He realized he was once again just a mortal, nothing more and nothing less.

Words: 300
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372286-121304---Broken-Promise